Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Berserk
Berserk is easily one of my favourite manga. It's a masterpiece of the medium to me and beyond the shock aspects of it and its arguable over reliance on sexuaI violence, it's a human story of suffering and determination that everyone ought to experience at some point. It goes without saying for anyone familiar with the show that Berserk 2016 is the worst anime of the year. It's ugly as sin, sounds horrid. It did give us two fantastic Hirasawa tracks, but the promise that they're doing Millennium Falcon next year means we're a lock for worst anime next year too. In a year where two of my other favourite manga got utterly exquisite adaptations, Diamond is Unbreakable and Mob Psycho 100, it's really a shame that Berserk can't catch a break.
I guess it means that there's more Hirasawa coming with next year's series, and Berserk's manga had a good run this year for once though.

Kabaneri
In a year where I enjoyed most of everything I watched but didn't watch mountains of anime, everything that wasn't in my top 5 list was either forgettable in the grand scheme, or struck enough sour notes to be memorably bad.

I don't think Kabaneri is necessarily bad show overall, but it ended really dumb, was never spectacular at any point and I can't remember much else I'd put on a bad list. Also, it's just Attack on Titan on Trains which sounds better than the actual Attack on Titan honestly but it's extremely uncreative and derivative so points knocked off.

Credit due to a great OP/ED song though, Aimer is great.

Phoenix Wright
It didn't use the game's soundtrack.
Everything else was decidedly bad, but not using an amazing soundtrack you have access to is criminal.

Honourable mentions:
My Hero Academia for the utter garbage pacing but it was actually a pretty good anime overall. I'm not interested in a rewatch because of that pacing though, so that's why I'd say it's in bad side of the rankings. It's just hard to stomach a show going at snail pace when the manga is actually well recognised for being really fastly paced, without being rushed.
Danganronpa was stupid and poo poo, but still better than Phoenix Wright and Kabaneri.
Re:Zero was also stupid and but it wasn't a total poo poo anime. It was just in the running for anime I've seen this year that are among the worst. It's like Konosuba to me without the fun.

Most avoided:
ReLife because every time I tuned in to watch JoJo live as it aired in Japan, it was on during its run and I would mute the tab and swap over rather than watch it at all. It's not from this year, but at least Kuroshitsuji was fun to laugh at how bad it was. It might be good, it might not, I don't give a gently caress.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Miyuki Sawashiro was pretty good in Berserk 2016, to be fair.

But that's because she's Miyuki Sawashiro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

who else is playing pokemon moon or sun this christmas?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

I only have avoided and that is Berserk. After seeing how bad the first movie was I had no strong interest in watching the show but when I started to see clips of what was being aired I started to watch the original series to remind myself on how Berserk should look.

The original show is also ugly and barely animated though, it's just not as bad as 2016.

Only the manga shows how Berserk should look. That poo poo should be in a museum.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I love it too, but that's going over the top.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They share a basic premise and have wildly different aims.
For me, Konosuba is a much more successful take on the premise.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

their premises aren't the same at all tho. konosuba doesn't even have the timeloop aspect that makes re:zero re:zero.

They are the same premise. NEET goes to a fantasy world is the premise. The time loop aspect is one element of the story built on top of the premise. Just as dragging a stupid goddess with zero pairs of underwear into the fantasy world with you is an element of Konosuba's story.

A premise is just the foundation of a story. Sharing a premise doesn't make them similar shows or stories beyond that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They share a basic premise and have wildly different aims.
For me, Konosuba is a much more successful take on the premise.

What are you missing here?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

end the war on dubbed anime

by banning it outright

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's basically a hikki

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How are you going to know something is dogshit if you haven't watched it. It's very reliable hearsay when others tell you so, but it's not something you actually know to be true.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you get to and finish the final episode before deciding you hate the show, you don't hate the show.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Berserk is still the worst anime of the year, vote be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She's actually an half elf
:goonsay:

• Locked thread