Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Big Order aka why the gently caress did I watch more than three episodes of this, let alone 8, aka two less than the end. it had an interesting enough idea that i wanted to give it a shot, but it somehow managed to be both dreary in how it was going about the rules to its superpowers, and yet still not making any sense very frequently nonetheless, so clever Code Geassery went out the window. but it didn't even manage to be a fun trainwreck, just a big rusty pile of trash slowly flopping over to one side, and slowly catching fire. lead's garbage, he pretty much outright starts wanting to gently caress his i forget if they're blood related sister (this is the incest show this year by the by), why the gently caress did that girl actually get pregnant from touching her ribbon and more importantly did they just toss the baby somewhere, was this supposed to be funny. for a split second, girl who controlled rocks was almost cool in a way! i mean she, you know, wasn't wearing anything but she was still sort of stylish and neat. and whoops now she's being a creepy pervert with everyone rip. i regret the time i spent watching this

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R just stopped being funny extremely fast. all it had going for it was being an ever so slightly absurdist magical girl show and aside from that meh who cares

Bakuon basically lost me because yeah, numerous episodes in a row of really creepy and skeevy situations being treated as funny in an otherwise sort of silly show. you can't just follow up 'this girl was nearly violated by her teacher on an alcoholic benderr!' with 'and now this very girl is rubbing herself all over her bike suggestively isn't that hot!' bleh. the show just wasn't interesting enough for that to be a forgivable offense. Lime was good but that's really about it.

MOST AVOIDED: GATE because all i hear of it is 'japanese revanchism' and 'sexual abuse of rabbitgirls' and poo poo like that so i didn't even approach the first season, much less imagine for a moment i might want to watch the second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Omnicrom posted:

2) Lostorage Incited Wixoss I question the humanity of nearly every single major character in this show to a greater or lesser extent. The protagonist was dull as dishwater, her glasses friend acted like no human being ever acted (also can I say the reveal about her was ungodly lame?), siscon boy was a godawful drag, the one good interesting heroic character got slapped around by fate for no reason except maybe GRIMDARK and the antagonist... Word of advice writers: Please do not subject me to a show where the antagonist does not, cannot, and will not act in any way shape or form like a human being. A character whose entire personality is :moreevil: is the absolute opposite of compelling. The bad guy in Wixoss had some SERIOUS change the channel heat going on because rather than depict him in any way resembling an actual person they started with Sugou from SAO and decided that that was too SUBTLE for their show. I literally started skipping scenes by the end there because of how dreadful it was to watch him swan around.

Oh also if the show could have made up its mind about the other female lead that would have been swell. Should I love her? Hate her? Validate her? Disagree with her? Understand her? Be mystified by her? Judging by the way she completely changes personalities just about every episodes (even several times IN episodes) I suspect some people in the writers room are at least as confused as I am.

for some reason I found it really hard to actually dislike Satomi, like he's so ridiculously hammy and constantly having such incredibly silly faces that I found him funny more than anything

i'm kinda disappointed with how he ended though. like one of the neatest conceits of the show, to me, is how people and their cards change places, in some cases god knows how many times, it's a very interesting concept having to see someone else walk in another's shoes. the first show did this very well with Yuzuki, but this time around the idea of jerkoface being swapped with his horribly shy and meek cardgirl didn't go anywhere, neither did it with siscon, and as far as I can tell, Carnival ending up in Satomi's shoes...changes literally exactly nothing, because they're both basically the same kind of person and after the same things. in fact i think the only difference is perhaps that Carnival is a bit more stoic and composed which just means no silly overdramatization which was kind of the entirety of why Satomi was any fun as an antagonist to me

it definitely was nowhere near as strong as the original show in the end. I don't think it was bad really, and the early middle of the show was really promising. Protagonist stayed kinda dull but I thought Chinatsu was very very strong to start off with - she's doing everything she's doing out of desperation and a need to basically support her entire family, while also working her rear end off to get into a good school. ...so I was kind of disappointed it dropped the ball with her. 'oh your dad has a new job you don't have to worry, also we figured out how to get you into that school' just sort of happens all of the sudden, and I dunno. her obvious arc of 'this person obviously wants to help you, so accept their help since you can't do it on your own' ended up not really going that way really.

and i couldn't even begin to tell you what happened at the end? why did they lose their memories? glasses girl didn't, she won, learned the truth, and that's it. the protagonists did the same, i thought, but they get amnesia for no reason?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Namtab posted:

magic girls, dark to the point where people will call it a deconstruction, cute mascot character with dark intentions.

On the surface level theres a fair few parallels.

pink haired girl whose only care in the world is to be friendly and helpful and spends the show being pacifist while everyone else isn't, put into a rough situation by her cool and collected and fancy yellow-motif senpai dying abruptly, whose fate is entwined with that of a moody dark-haired girl with purple eyes that fights by being very fast and pouring on the DPS, all of these and more roped into a magical girl contract that turns out to be inescapable and fatal by design

which show am i talking about

• Locked thread