Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
My favorite shows of the year need to wait until flipflaps finishes airing, but the bad ones are long since dropped!

worst:
Kumamiko - This was incredibily disapointing and mean-spirited. I dropped it a few episodes in after a half episode straight of a grown woman beating on a child, and I'm very glad I did after hearing about the ending. Not what I want from a seemingly cute show about a girl and her bear friend, and not what I remember the manga being like. It was one of my most anticipated shows of its season, too :(

bad:
Haifuri - I appreciate the voice acting talent, and when it was just cute girls doing boat things it was fun, but the rats were dumb, and every time it attempted naval action it fell flat. I think I dropped it after the rat episode.
Bakuon!! - Poorly animated, too much fanservice, and just all around OK at best. I lost track of it after the first few eps. Maybe I'll read the manga sometime, Sharky never wavered in his enthusiasm for it.

dishonorable mentions:
Izetta: The Last Witch - I dropped this a few eps in because it just wasn't holding my attention. It didn't seem bad, but the first episode got my hopes up. Alas.
Myriad Colors Phantom World - I actually finished this one, and enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through. It oscillated between mediocre and super cute, but it really was just a waste of kyoani's talents. Better than Beyond the Boundary, at least.

avoided:
12-sai: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki - I don't know a drat thing about this other than its name, and that's more than enough to steer me well away.
I'm changing my avoid vote to Magical Girl Raising Project, which I'd forgotten about 'til skimming the thread. I like magical girls, I don't want to see them die as the premise of a show.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have been informed by my friends in the discord that 12-sai is not at all what I assumed it was from the name, and is in fact a super-cute-looking shoujo story about first love that looks totally up my alley. I have been owned by my own assumptions.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I find I often enjoy shows aimed at little girls. They're cute and fluffy, people are generally nice or just misunderstood and waiting for a little kindness so that they can become nice, and I don't have to worry about edgy stuff coming in to mess everything up. It's not what I always want to watch, but as a sometimes thing it's like a warm security blanket.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
wow rude

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I realize this isn't really a thing to inspire confidence, but yeah, Negima doesn't even begin to get decent until somewhere in the 3rd volume, I think. Good action later on, though. That said, the stuff in the beginning doesn't ever really go away, it just moves more to the background and to occasional one-off chapters.

The Love Hina manga is absolutely better than the anime. It's a pretty good fanservicey harem with more progression than most and a decent ending. With that + a modest length (12? 14? volumes), I'd definitely recommend it to someone after harem antics.

• Locked thread