Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Really want to play In a World Wide Wrestling RPG sesh rather than run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1. Finish my four CYOAs! Done one as of today!
2. Run a Broken World Campaign!
3. Run a new CYOA with a co-GM!
4. Publish one of my half-dozen other game ideas that are all nearly in publishing stage!

edit: 5. Join a PBP that gets past the first three turns!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
1. Write my goddamned games
2. Write my goddamned stories
3. Do more art, my skills are atrophied like gently caress
4. Fight some goddamned fascists
5. Bring about Communist Utopia
6. Start the certification program for being a goddamned animal behaviorist instead of put it off for another year.
7. Be nicer to people

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
1. Try to deal with my anxiety issues.
2. Get involved in local politics and activism.
3. Figure out a way of making money.
4. Move the hell out of where I'm currently living.
5. Take better care of myself, physically and mentally.
6. Work on at least some of the various project ideas I have. (My one possibly-TG-related resolution, as some of the ideas I have are TTRPG-related.)
7. Practice some of my neglected skills, like art and programming.

Could break things down more, but those are the ones off the top of my head and not split too finely. They're all strongly interrelated, really; 3 is almost certainly necessary for 4, 4 is pretty much mandatory for 2, 5, and somewhat 6 (my depression that's causing a lot of the problems I want to fix is in large part tied to my living situation), 6 could be part of 3, etc.

The sad thing is that while 4 really needs 3, the most likely way to manage 3 is through 4 already being done; where I live has like no jobs or ways of me getting income, leading to me not having money, leading to my inability to move. Breaking out of this is probably my main goal and key to getting any of this done, and just improving my life in general.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I haven't had any written resolutions the past couple of years. That hasn't worked out particularly well, so here are some things I'd like to work on:
  1. Get a job.
  2. Improve my physique.
  3. Be a better person.
  4. Learn more about game design and apply that knowledge.
  5. Get out of my gaming slump by focusing on quality tabletop experiences.
  6. :justpost:

zen death robot
May 27, 2001
Dec 26, 2012

Hell, same

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Dog Kisser posted:

1. Finish my four CYOAs! Done one as of today!
Kinda happened? Two finished, one is petering off, and one I sadly forgot about until it went to archives. My great shame!

Dog Kisser posted:

2. Run a Broken World Campaign!
Nope! Though the full version of the game just came out the other day...

Dog Kisser posted:

3. Run a new CYOA with a co-GM!
Nope, got pushed back a while!

Dog Kisser posted:

4. Publish one of my half-dozen other game ideas that are all nearly in publishing stage!
Nope, instead started other games! On the upside, I'm running a new CYOA I really like that's getting good traction.

Dog Kisser posted:

edit: 5. Join a PBP that gets past the first three turns!
Ha, I got past the first three turns. Next year I want to join one that goes past the first five turns!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fuego Fish posted:

1. Publish at least two new books.
2. Make a video game.
3. Finish writing my elfgames.
4. Eat more beef.
5. Fight fascism.

No new books so that's a real pisser, hooray depression. Did make a video game, though. Elfgames are not finished but in a far greater state of completion than I ever thought possible, maybe that's where all the book-writin' time went. I think my beef consumption has remained steady, and while the fight against fascism certainly hasn't been won yet, it's... a thing, certainly.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

Tradgames

1. Clear my current freelancing slate
2. Write for a minimum of three books.
3. Self-publish at least two new things.
4. Not gently caress up running Godbound

Non-tradgames

5. Stop being single before the 1-year mark
6. Lose some goddamn weight.

1. Kiiiiinda... got one out as an advance PDF, the errata's going in early January but I'mma call that a win.
2. Nope. I had to be careful what I could accept (and drop out of some accepted, which is lovely of me) due to workload at my main job.
3. Hahahahafuckno.
4. Players enjoyed it, so yay?
5. Yup!
6. Hahahahafuckno.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

1. Keep tracking my purchases and painting
2. Paint more than I buy
3. Make more effort to track my diet and lose weight
4. Play some board games with goons via TGSS
5. Have a sort through my piles of unused stuff and sell/donate anything I'm unlikely to ever use

1. Yup, did this (just needs December's updates)
2. Haha nope, thanks Reaper :)
3. Got off to a good start but petered off and stopped.
4. Did get a couple of games done but not as much as I'd hoped.
5. Sold and donated a couple of bits (mainly old Blood Bowl stuff) but still have a ton of stuff to go through.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

1. post better
2. finish the Ringworld FATAL, do one for GURPS Lensman
3. balance my own emotional needs vs. the anguish of my friends better
4. get a job? ish?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Drop new ones in the 2018 thread!

Ettin posted:

1. Release more game books
2. Launch and deliver a different project I'm working on
3. Donate/get rid of some old books, clothes, and other things I've let pile up
4. Replace the busted furniture I've been putting up with because it "mostly still works"
5. Try more cooking recipes
6. Practice drawing more

1. Actually no luck here, but the reasons are out of my hands. We'll just release them next year :buddy:
2. Didn't do the one I had in mind, but I did release another one.
3. Done!
4. Done!
5. Not as done as I'd like!
6. No, but I got into a different hobby at least :shrug:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 21, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

Same as last year, since lat year worked.

Do more cool things.
Be nicer to myself.

Well I can't claim to have FAILED exactly, but I'm ever satisfied.

Same again next year.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm setting far more modest goals for 2017:

1. Run a live game, probably on a monthly basis

2. Run a game using Palladium's systems

3. Plan for and buy a car

1. Nope. Best effort was that I maintained my weekly online game throughout the year

2. Nope!

3. This one I actually managed to do! A nice Honda minivan.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Cassa posted:

Uni has priority as always but still;

Run some Warhammer Fantasy RPG.

Run/Play some Fragged Empire.

Stop playing D&D 5e.

Uni went ok!

I did and it was great and then I kinda bailed on it for some Strike! I'd love to get more than two peeps playing with me though...

I got to play! And am now running with some mates.

May have succeeded in this through no fault of my own.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Become the Moderator for hte Traditional Games and The Game Room subforums of the Something Awful Forums

Not yet. Yet.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

potatocubed posted:

Alright, following my dismal performance last year, let's try this again:

1. Launch the Pigsmoke kickstarter and deliver the results.
2. Finish brevity quest and enter it into the 2017 Spring Thing.
3. Do the Book Barn reading challenge.
4. Complete one other pet project.

1. I'm claiming this one since there are literally seven books to send out then it's finished.

2. Done! It's a solid three-star game.

3. Failure.

4. Yes! I finished my automatic Pendragon character creator. I... don't think I achieved anything else?

Three for four will do me.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TTerrible posted:

• Paint more than I buy.
  • Sell or give away books and minis that I'm not using and won't ever use.
  • For one brief shining moment have everything painted.

• Not even close.
  • Somewhat successful :shobon:
  • This was a ridiculous thing to post.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Bombogenesis posted:

1.) Stick with an army for whatever game(s) I'm playing.
2.) Paint said army.
3.) Write backstories for units in said army.
4.) Stop buying models I will never actually play.

Non-TG stuff

5.) Find a more fulfilling job.

Failed 2 and 3. Cut down my pointless model purchases by a ton and am actually sticking with Dark Eldar for now. Lost my job and moved half across the country which I guess is like finding a more fulfilling job? :downs:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Error 404 posted:

1. Write my goddamned games
2. Write my goddamned stories
3. Do more art, my skills are atrophied like gently caress
4. Fight some goddamned fascists
5. Bring about Communist Utopia
6. Start the certification program for being a goddamned animal behaviorist instead of put it off for another year.
7. Be nicer to people

Welp, I did exactly two of these.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man I didn't manage any of mine. It was such a short list too...

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Hedningen posted:

Might as well take a chance on this.

1. Finish the campaign book I've been on and off working on for This Is Not A Test, including some actual pictures and layout outside of the text document it currently is.

2. Finish up painting my backlog of primed miniatures and run some demo games of the stuff I've been tinkering with.

3. Sculpt and cast at least three new models. This does involve learning how to cast models, but I figure that my renewed interest in gaming should help keep me motivated.

As far as life goals, hoping to leave my current job and find something closer to what I actually like to do in life.

Updates!

Absolutely failed #1. Learned a bit of layout, spent some time working on terrain and pictures, but finally realized that it'd be better to work on my own stuff. At least I completed a game for a contest, including layout and a sample adventure.

#2 was . . . kinda successful? My old backlog is done, but now I have a new one. At least the three Bloodbowl teams are no longer chilling on my painting station, and I even managed to gift some painted miniatures to friends. As far as the gaming portion: I did a few TNT demos, got a Mordheim group going, played Battletech, and started to meet with a monthly design/playtest group for my own weird projects.

#3: sculpted a bunch, did not learn anything about casting. Might as well keep making greens and working on skills?

Other goals: left lovely old job, got new job with great benefits and an awesome work environment. Learned how much I like helping people. Fostered about a dozen assorted dogs, ended up with a weird terrier living with me that ate a Space Marine to gain its power.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

mepstein73 posted:

TG Stuff:

Play (and maybe write) more RPGs. I got struck by inspiration to rebuild Sailors & Sea Serpents (my first SA TG contest entry, from years ago) as a Dungeon World campaign, so I'm going to try to run that this year. Gotta get some playbooks together first, though.

Finish the board games I'm working on: Pigment and Seek and Go Hyde are basically done barring art and finding publishers interested, so who knows what'll happen.

Get Tattoo! The Game of Ink back on Kickstarter. We didn't succeed when we tried last August, but with some changes to the model and getting shipping worked out better, I think we can do it.

Non-TG:

Lose 10-15 lbs by June 21st (my birthday). Keep it off by the end of December.

I never got to doing much RPG stuff. I tried, I failed, I tried again, failed again... I think I'll stick with board games for now.
I got Pigment successfully Kickstarted, and now need to ship it by PAX East. Excited to do so!
Still seeking a publisher for Seek and Go Hyde.
Tattoo! The Game of Ink will eventually be returning to Kickstarter. For now, though, it's just waiting in the wings.

Lost 5 lbs total this year. Working on exercising more, though.

Other fun things: I was in a nasty car accident in June (right before my birthday), and couldn't type or drive or work all summer. Trying to get back on my feet after that...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
e: wrong thread

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 23, 2017

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bbcisdabomb posted:

Well hell, I never post around here but the end-of-year reveal should make this interesting.

-Hold steady on my gaming commitments- I play RPGs four nights a week and it's been getting in the way of doing just about anything else I want to do.
-Figure out some way to gracefully refuse playing any more RPGs at all - even the biweekly game that ran last year. I just don't have the energy.
-Run my Wednesday night Strike! campaign through to completion, whenever that is.
-Integrate an actual plot into the Star Wars World game I occasionally run for the Saturday group instead of just running whatever one-shot I come up with over the week.
-Post in the cat-piss thread. I've enjoyed the thread enough I should give back.
-Actually make and paint some terrain for my GM's Christmas present next year.

-Managed to not get in any more commitments and even found some extra time here and there, so I'll call that one good.
-Haha nope
-Ran a full Strike! game based around heisting, and it went pretty drat well.
-Well, I had the plot all planned out and the players decided to go a completely different route, as is the norm for PBTA games.
-Nope. Maybe next year?
-Nope. Though I did get started painting minis, so there's that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My gaming resolutions:

• Get VGCRPG up into a testable state and also get another RPG up to testing level, probably Children of the Cataclysm or Supergroup. Alternately, finish my World War Hulk writeup for the Marvel Heroic game.
  • Do a PbP or chat game to help test one of the former.

Hahahaha, no, some work definitely was done on it, but nothing testable. Stuff like doing the Starfinger review and a secret project I'm currently working on derailed that. I need to start working more on my own stuff and not just writing about other stuff.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

• Keep my existing Savage Rifts game alive as long as I can.

Well, I really did try with this one. Learned some hard lessons about running games on bboards as opposed to tabletop. I could have done better, but I think I fulfilled this well enough given the circumstances.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

• Get all of my currently rough draft F&Fs up onto the forums, that includes posting Rifts World Books 8-11 + 13, Rifts Index & Adventures 1, and Rifts Game Shield and Adventures.

Yep. Went past that and got World Books 14 and 15 up as well. Even with Starfinger in the way, it was a rich year for Rifts reviews.

Two out of three ain't bad.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I haven't had any written resolutions the past couple of years. That hasn't worked out particularly well, so here are some things I'd like to work on:
  1. Get a job.
  2. Improve my physique. ✖
  3. Be a better person. ?
  4. Learn more about game design and apply that knowledge. ✖
  5. Get out of my gaming slump by focusing on quality tabletop experiences. ✖
  6. :justpost:

Much like 2017 itself, my resolution follow-through was horrible. Well, here's to a new year! :toot:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I didn't actually do tooooo badly with my resolutions from last year, that's something!

This year:

1. Keep making progress on my various tiny mans armies. Paint a unit of boring infantry between each fun big model.

2. Build a scale model.

3. End the year with a smaller backlog than I started.

4. Save more money.

1. Didn't paint as much boring infantry as I should have but I made tons of progress!
2. I did that!
3. I did this too!
4. I bought a house, so whiffed on this one pretttty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

nomadotto posted:

Trad Games:

1) Post More (for reals this time).
2) Keep collection size constant or decreasing (if you buy a new board game, get rid of an old one, same for RPG stuff!).
3) Finish at least 1 Tradgames project

Life:
1) Run Regularly, including at least 2 5Ks (ideally also 1 10K, but that's probably too much)
2) Purge stuff you don't even wear/use anymore
3) Clean the house at least 1/week, and do a full clean 1/month.

Well, not the best:

Tradgames:
I posted a touch more, but volume was still super low. I kept the collection size down-ish, but wasn't as good at is as needed. No projects were done

Life stuff:
I kinda did 2 (got rid of some old clothes) but need to clean more often and running didn't happen at all. Next year, totally!

• Locked thread