Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VW is great in theory, but a nightmare once you start getting into it. I'd worry it would be doomed to failure.

The Dodge is a turbo 5 speed and it talks. Is there any more counter argument really needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The recommended driving route from Orlando to Seattle goes I90 through SD, i.e. the same way Dave drove in.

So I dunno what the plan is for getting back west, but Valentine isn't out of the way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

VW is great in theory, but a nightmare once you start getting into it. I'd worry it would be doomed to failure.
I'm not sure you understand the point of a 14" thread.

Seminal Flu posted:

The Dodge is a turbo 5 speed and it talks. Is there any more counter argument really needed?
Fair point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There has to be a goon who owns a trailer big enough to cart the VeeDub and could find a way to go from their home to Valentine to Seattle.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Shipping the vw can't be much.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

We can goon source shipping and parts I wanted to see this full circle after years of 14 threads

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Elephanthead posted:

But then there is the issue of having a completely dead car in seattle without a garage to keep/work on it in.

I vote the turbo daytona, just because its not uncommon to see a old VW rolling around ballard and I just want to see more weird 80's cars when I drive around my neighborhood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if Dave just drove the truck to FLORIDA and then greyhounded back to Seattle and spent the money on the Biturbo Civic.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
But the VW is the same color and everything as his last one!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

But the VW is the same color and everything as his last one!

Flip side I've been doing secret research on The Samba and one of the Fuel Injection gurus AS WELL AS A TYPE 4 FANATIC told me flat out gut the '68 type 3 injection and throw it away and carb it so we're talking swapping heads and pulling the motor

And its not like I'm selling out completely. Plan B is a loving TALKING Turbo Mopar

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 28, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

What if Dave just drove the truck to FLORIDA and then greyhounded back to Seattle and spent the money on the Biturbo Civic.

Im still mad at Justin :colbert:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
But just imagine how it'll feel when you roll up in the fasty and tell it you have a new girlfriend now.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

DO NOT TAKE THE GREYHOUND ACROSS COUNTRY. HOLY gently caress THIS IS AWFUL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

DO NOT TAKE THE GREYHOUND ACROSS COUNTRY. HOLY gently caress THIS IS AWFUL.

FINE HE CAN HITCHHIKE

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm just saying, my experience was awful, and if he's not bringing tools, flying is actually cheaper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo I have it!

I wanted to do an AI rally across America where we'd pick something and hand it off between drivers, the THING can be Dave!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo I have it!

I wanted to do an AI rally across America where we'd pick something and hand it off between drivers, the THING can be Dave!

I mean, this isn't a terrible idea.

I can do Florida to Tennessee. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryrobots posted:

I mean, this isn't a terrible idea.

I can do Florida to Tennessee. :v:

War Rig convoy out of FL. :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Southern route. I can do el Paso to Vegas.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well. If im not on the road Friday I'm heading home as Dab is leaving and the house will be locked. I just tried to jump start the Daytona and the dash talked. It said "IMMEDIATE SERVICE REQUIRED" then went dark.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Well. If im not on the road Friday I'm heading home as Dab is leaving and the house will be locked. I just tried to jump start the Daytona and the dash talked. It said "IMMEDIATE SERVICE REQUIRED" then went dark.

What could go wrong? I support anything you choose 14 just don't greyhound. Oh god the memories

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Southern route. I can do el Paso to Vegas.

I could probably do Austin to El Paso.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Those 80's cars are extremely sensitive to voltage issues. The stone dead battery is probably causing havoc with them. Drop a good battery in and see what happens.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
I consider Dave's adventures as some sort of Motorama show only with old, clapped-out crap-boxes. As much as I understand Dave's intimate, deep connections to Vee Dubs, we've already seen that episode.
So... I think it would only be fair that Dave brings out his next show-pony and gives us a glimpse at what sort of tricks it can perform. Dave, get that imitation-Kitt going and tell us all about how it seduced you with that sexy voice (on the other hand... no, don't. We can respect your privacy.)

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice
Ive not been on SA for 3+ years; I just finished reading Requiem for a Jeep and the trukk thread - jesus christ go for the reliable car, I'm loving nervous, fear for 14s remaining sanity if he chooses the VW. :ohdear:

Edit - as an Aussie I'm ignorant re: Daytona, but it seems the more conservative choice. Looks like a Mitsubishi platform?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Aquatic Daredevil posted:

Ive not been on SA for 3+ years; I just finished reading Requiem for a Jeep and the trukk thread - jesus christ go for the reliable car, I'm loving nervous, fear for 14s remaining sanity if he chooses the VW. :ohdear:

Edit - as an Aussie I'm ignorant re: Daytona, but it seems the more conservative choice. Looks like a Mitsubishi platform?

Correct, it's a DSM.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think the 2.2T is a Mitsu design though, I could be wrong on that front

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

As much as I have an ACVW boner I'd be all over that Daytona, 5 speed seals the deal.

I don't think that's DSM though, I'm not 100% sure but I think that's only the starions and the lasers and poo poo.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

shy boy from chess club posted:

As much as I have an ACVW boner I'd be all over that Daytona, 5 speed seals the deal.

I don't think that's DSM though, I'm not 100% sure but I think that's only the starions and the lasers and poo poo.

You're right - the Challenger and Avenger are Mitsus, but this is not. I stand corrected!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
As an ACVW owner buy the TURBO.

Unless you happen to have a few grand and a Subaru laying around.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Want dat turbo.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Korwen posted:

I could probably do Austin to El Paso.

I could do Houston to Austin. Maybe Beaumont/Port Arthur to Austin.

So that's Beaumont, TX to Las Vegas, NV covered.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I could do Houston to Austin. Maybe Beaumont/Port Arthur to Austin.

So that's Beaumont, TX to Las Vegas, NV covered.

poo poo I'm about to buy a new car, so if i can find a good deal on a not black 2013 mb e350 4matic around vegas I would help get dave back to seattle. I've been tempted to find one in socal just for the roadtrip, but they all seem to be rwd in California

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

14", I tossed a little cash into the fastback fund.

That said, I would much rather see you take the Daytona, I didn't know that was even an option.

That thing is loving awesome. Also I have a neighbor in my town with two of them that haven't moved in years, I'm sure I could steal some parts and he would never know.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Seriously I can do el paso to Vegas any days other than 6,7,8 (drill) if it comes to it.

E: just looked where Valentine is. I mean, any city as far as el paso from Phoenix, whatever direction.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 28, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slung Blade posted:

14", I tossed a little cash into the fastback fund.

That said, I would much rather see you take the Daytona, I didn't know that was even an option.

That thing is loving awesome. Also I have a neighbor in my town with two of them that haven't moved in years, I'm sure I could steal some parts and he would never know.

I didn't either until today when I was like "gently caress the fastback needs so much just to move off the property line.

.....what about the Daytona?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I helped pitch in on the Fastback as well with a simple "who wants to get up to shenanigans" from ExplodingSims. Now that the extent of the fuckery required on that thing to get you on the road is known, I would absolutely say take the Dodge.

Pretty sure the equivalent Mitsu engine from the time period was an asthmatic 2.6 single cam; they put them in Magnas here and they suuuuucked. Did the Daytona ever have the v6 in it? They were ok-ish.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Too bad the Jimmy isn't an option anymore :(

But yeah take the running and driving Daytona.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"running and driving"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

"running and driving"

"Ran when parked." Still a far better choice than a 50 year old VW with a terrible unicorn fi system that has missing windows and has been exposed to the elements for an untold number of years.

• Locked thread