Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

nm posted:

The alcohol thing in valentine bugged me and I should have said something then.

I shrugged and said "well, at least it's not meth," when I really should've pointed it out.

Strange as it may be, Dave, you've got a support network of people here who don't want to see you walk down the dark path.

Please go inpatient for rehab. Mrs. Fai and I will gladly pay as much as we can afford on your hospital account on your behalf, and as was mentioned earlier, I'm sure we're not the only ones. It's not nearly as bad as you think it is, and it's the best chance you've got of living a fulfilled life and, you know, not ending up sucking dick for meth in an alley at some point in the future.

I'm from the rural Midwest originally, man--I know methheads. Sucking dick for meth and regular prison stays are in the cards if you don't get help pronto.

Thankfully, it's early enough that you can get out and get clean. Walk away from all that poo poo right now and rock this world. You know what's easy to conceal from the potential employer of your dream job? Going to a clinic. You know what's impossible to conceal? The fact that you've been sentenced to prison. And you will end up there if you keep this poo poo up.

Please, Dave. It'll be a while before you are able to read this, but when you do, please give it some thought. Don't throw away the gifts you've been given. I don't give a poo poo if you get banned or the thread gets moved or whatever, I just want to see a stellar human being grab his own future by his own hands and loving shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I was initially vague on my intentions but I'm not planning on banning anyone.

If e/n isnt the best place it can go to TCC.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly I'd just close it, but if he insists on keeping it open for his personal journal then yeah I don't blame you for moving it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

TCC, for all the grief it gets, probably would be the best place for this kind of issue.

E/N is gonna be half trolling and half empty quotes of get therepy.

Which, don't get me wrong, is what Dave needs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Hatter posted:

I'd still like to see Dave move. Its certainly not going to get him clean, but if he is determined to stay sober anyway it might help to not have a button on his phone that causes meth to appear or a circle of friends that he's used to doing drugs with. That being said, if he is willing to actually use the programs/assistance available to him in Seattle then he'd probably be better off staying for now. I know what its like to decline help to your own detriment because its somehow more valiant that way though and its a hard mindset to get out of.

My guess is that seattle has more public resources than the smaller cities we are talking about.
Moving to CA, where he has a real family support network wouls probably be the best.
Places like rural nebraska won't have the mh and substance abuse resources he needs.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Mental health problem what's that? He just needs to HTFU, pull the bootstraps harder and not be a lowlife addict!

That's seriously the stance some people are taking in here and it's sad.

Mental health problems that do not include a physical or chemical change in the balance of the brain are recoverable. To admit to a problem is one thing, to turn around and confront a problem directly can be a little tricky. To find and effectively combat a personal issue, you must first find the root cause that is driving it.

Seems simple? Conceptually, yes. Depending on how deeply you've buried it, practically it is not so simple. It's a process of analysing and coming to terms sequentially with everything that you've done after the root issue, and then confronting the root itself. It's painful, time consuming, and takes a direct determination to continue to confront something that you can ultimately choose to ignore again.

Detective 14 can completely pick apart his 4ft long receipt of repressed feelings and hidden issues, but only if he's willing to. That means that whatever he's running from must be far worse to him than the life he's running to. Good thing he has drugs to escape the anxiety of life occasionally-- the amount of poo poo on his plate would be hard to swallow without it. In other words, no matter what way he runs, he's in a world of poo poo. Meth brings him out of it and provides a gruesome chemical addiction, both of which keep him on it.

He can stop the meth, but it'll just keep him on a slower destructive pace. He needs motivation to turn around. What could possibly motivate a man so determined to dig further? Unfortunately, none of us know and Dave is too high to smell the ashes anymore.

Reacon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 12, 2017

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Seminal Flu posted:

yep, the middle of nowhere has the same level of use and access to meth as the jungle. :lol:

Just lol if you don't think the middle of nowhere is absolutely SWIMMING in meth. Maybe not as much as the jungle, but if you can't score in East Overshoe, you're just not trying.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Amazon is opening some 47k sq ft portion of their new offices in Seattle for homeless shelter and help

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Call me a jerk, but I agreed with the initial plan. This thread does nothing but reinforce negative behavior and a ban will cut off that reinforcer.

I also feel many people are using the "we're just a comedy forum" as a weak excuse to be entertained by someone destroying themselves. It's okay because it's ironic or some poo poo.

He's got 9 days still to come up with whatever plan will work for him, it's nebulous and not defined to give Dave a lot of freedom to accomplish his goal. If everyone is all about helping as much as they say they are, then sitting back and listening to how he wants to be helped is how we accomplish that. We fail when we just throw money and advice out there and try to tell Dave what to do.

We like him a lot, we want him to succeed, and we have to give him space to do that. Gotta give him the opportunity to say how he wants to be helped and what he's going to do without us trying to impose anything on him. At the same time, choices have consequences and if this thread is reinforcing negative behavior, it must be removed in order to promote positive behavior.

Dave's a strong dude and very creative. He's got plenty of time to come up with something to set him on the path to getting it together.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
For what its worth my "get out of the pnw" comment was more directed towards the somewhat sticky complicating issue of him being in contact/business dealings with a loving meth dealing biker gang, as those types have been known to not look too kindly on people "leaving the life."

That said, others here are correct in that the substance problems won't go away until the underlying mental health issues have been dealt with. Trust me, I know. Wherever you can get inpatient rehab help, get it. I can recommend hazelden but its definitely pricey and anywhere you can get to, go.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if being a biker gang mechanic is still the worst thing he could do or not. Maybe the other guys are hiring?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm not sure if being a biker gang mechanic is still the worst thing he could do or not. Maybe the other guys are hiring?
My local police are looking for a mechanic, so it's a pity about the slight logistical issues with that one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Current plan is hitch hike/walk to valentine. I screencapped me sending box money to my dad but it was on my phone and lost to that. I dont know why people keep questioning my honesty when at the end of the loving day its literally the only thing I've managed to keep, and able to (except this once now) prove, verify, and reinforce on request at any time before. I ignore the sobriety questions because lol i think 5am pictures from downtown while on foot says enough. But I havent lied then, I havent lied now, and anyone continuing to question my integrity even in the face of extreme and unusual circumstances can gently caress right off and choke on it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What happened to the Beetle?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

He'd be in a world of poo poo if he got pulled over with a suspended driver license.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

What happened to the Beetle?

Bug got sold to a friend for pick n pull pricing because it would help get them out immensely, my initial feelers told me a theft recovery side swiped manal trans 201k mile 99 VW isnt exactly a hot andf in demand item at the moment so I figured with all the free or nearly free cars Ive gotten in my life one of them deserved to escape alive.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So did the plans with your buddy with the RV fall through?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah thought you had a ride lined up, if it fell through that sucks.....Still a greyhound is better than hitchhiking, especially since in some states that's illegal.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Having ridden the Greyhound for three days straight I disagree

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

everdave posted:

Amazon is opening some 47k sq ft portion of their new offices in Seattle for homeless shelter and help

Yeah, and this makes me proud to work here, but the space is specifically for Mary's Place (which Dave wouldn't qualify for) and also won't be ready until 2019. 😔

bend
Dec 31, 2012

DICK DICER posted:

Current plan is hitch hike/walk to valentine. I screencapped me sending box money to my dad but it was on my phone and lost to that. I dont know why people keep questioning my honesty when at the end of the loving day its literally the only thing I've managed to keep, and able to (except this once now) prove, verify, and reinforce on request at any time before. I ignore the sobriety questions because lol i think 5am pictures from downtown while on foot says enough. But I havent lied then, I havent lied now, and anyone continuing to question my integrity even in the face of extreme and unusual circumstances can gently caress right off and choke on it

https://www.drug-rehabs.org/Nebraska-Valentine-drug-rehab-treatment.htm

Fair enough, rather see you on a bus just cause it's a long loving walk though. Like I said one step at a time and let the other poo poo go hang or sort itself out. It doesn't look like there's any addiction rehab resources in Valentine itself, but I hope you consider investigating some of the nearby ones in the link.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DICK DICER posted:

People question your honesty because they've dealt with people who have bad drug habits before, Dave.

Listen, man, you know we're all rooting for you to get yourself in a better place mentally, but we can't do poo poo to help from here, and it's frustrating as gently caress watching a good guy commit slow-form suicide as documented by post.

Seriously, that's where this ends. Prison or the ground, and I think you've been pretty clear over the last few years as to which one you're aiming for like a skydiver who forgot his chute.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 12, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DICK DICER posted:

anyone continuing to question my integrity even in the face of extreme and unusual circumstances can gently caress right off and choke on it
I don't doubt your integrity. Integrity is a conscious thing, part of your decision making process. You do act with integrity, and you do so because you choose to do so.

What I doubt is whether you're putting yourself in a position to make it any easier to do so.

Liquid Communism posted:

People question your honesty because they've dealt with people who have bad drug habits before, Dave.

Listen, man, you know we're all rooting for you to get yourself in a better place mentally, but we can't do poo poo to help from here, and it's frustrating as gently caress watching a good guy commit slow-form suicide as documented by post.

Seriously, that's where this ends. Prison or the ground, and I think you've been pretty clear over the last few years as to which one you're aiming for like a skydiver who forgot his chute.
This.

Also, it appears the policy on drug offences in the US has just changed to "gently caress people. Hard." so you really don't want to be a test case for that poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

I don't doubt your integrity. Integrity is a conscious thing, part of your decision making process. You do act with integrity, and you do so because you choose to do so.

What I doubt is whether you're putting yourself in a position to make it any easier to do so.

This.

Also, it appears the policy on drug offences in the US has just changed to "gently caress people. Hard." so you really don't want to be a test case for that poo poo.

Esp for states not on the left coast.
Being in a red state like Nebraska with mental health issues and a meth addiction is bad loving news.
Yes, he thinks it will be better because meth addicts love a goal that they think will fix everything magically.
This encouraging him to go to nebraska thing really isn't helping and working into his addiction.
Dave needs to either stay in Seattle where he has a social worker, appears to be on at least medicaid, and so on or go back to the bay are where he has some family support.

A large number of my clients left their areas of support "for a change" they thought would solve all their problems. It just meant isolation, increased drug use long term, and less help.

Dave's last trip had the advantage of being a short period of time where he was essentially supervised by danno. Sure he (maybe) didn't use meth, but he was drinking and he still had social connections. Isolation is a bad factor.

Dave, if your sober right now (and I mean no drugs or booze), that is loving awesome. However, you need some sort of treatment because you are clearly an addict and someone with mental health problems. This is absolutely no shame in asking for and getting help. The only shame is squandering your life and health away. Here's the thing: you probably aren't going to die for another 20 years, even if you keep on this path. However, you will be sick, in pain, and aging extremely quickly.
When you are 50 with hep c, no teeth, and a huge number of chronic health issues and a record as long as my arm, you will wish you'd taken this turn. Every sober person I know wishes they'd done it sooner.
You may pretend not to fear death, but fear being old and useless way too soon.

Please get help. We're rooting for you.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I had a lot more words here, but it boils down to this.

You're making a lot of tough decisions right now. Getting someone to help you seems like another tough one -- I know I spent days typing and deleting numbers in my phone before I got the courage to call -- but if you can get over that hump you'll have an ally, and maybe some hope. I wish I had done it years ago.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Six days without a Dick post. :ohdear:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

stevobob posted:

Six days without a Dick post. :ohdear:

He's on facebook though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Yup he also messages people on messenger too. I had a convo with him yesterday about his parasites

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Welp, unbookmarked this and​ woah things happened​. I started reading the previous thread just before you first went on the road to work on The Trukk but didn't fully appreciate how much of a change Valentine was until now.

Not gonna add any advice, everything​ has been said and besides, I have no idea what kind of things you're dealing with. But I do know there's a lot of internet dudes looking out for you. True, you've got a knack for storytelling but mostly I think the reason is you seem like a good guy stuck in a tough place. Hope you can find a way to cope with whatever haunts you, whether channeled into some of the beautifully weird stuff you post here or in some other way. It might be hard going now, but keep hanging in there

Sorry for yet another srspost but I appreciate your stories and wishing you the best seemed the least i could do. Here's to hoping we'll go back to field engine transplants, burning vehicles and hot sauce bowel movements when you're feeling better

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hopefully fewer burning vehicle instances (and more burning rear end in a top hat instances?)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Where is Rosie, the cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry i failed you, AI.

• Locked thread