Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

blue squares posted:

I genuinely don't understand how someone who likes movies could watch the opening number and "hate it immensely." Sure, maybe you don't like the song, but that opening scene is just so spectacular and energetic and impressive on a technical level that even if it were silent, just the choreography alone, including that of the camera, is so good.
One complaint about the opening number is precisely that the cinematography is bad. It falls into the trap of being made to look like one shot just for the sake of it (it's actually three shots stitched together, in any case). I wish films would just cut to whatever the gently caress they wanted. Keeping things one-shot denies scenes a greater vivacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's not bad though? And it's not 'just for the sake of it'.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't have a problem with it because it keeps the momentum moving and adds a bit of a rush to the proceedings, but it is a bit distracting if you notice it. However, I was watching Singin' in the Rain the other day and noted that even during their long-takes there were one or two cuts per number.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ranter posted:

It's not bad though? And it's not 'just for the sake of it'.
I don't think it's bad either, just echoing some of the criticisms I've read. Though I do think it'd be better not done in that style.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I thought the cinematography was generally top notch, except for the spinning pool party shot that was way overdone. The lighting design in particular deserves every award possible this year.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ranter posted:

The opening scene/song was definitely lost on me in my first and so far only viewing of the film, but now it's my favorite song on the soundtrack.

I just play these songs in their order on the album over and over: Another day of sun, Someone in the crowd, City of stars, The audition (fools who dream)

No "A Lovely Night"?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Don't like it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
As someone who dipped a toe into #menswear, the line "You looked so cute in your polyester suit (It's wool)" made me laugh.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"A Lovely Night" is far and away my favorite track, mostly because the music is so orderly and the way it communicates their back-and-forth is so clear. The way the melody falls into place at 1:48 for "what a waste of a lovely night" before the dance break is probably the best moment in the entire movie. It's just such a rock-solid sequence of notes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

blue squares posted:

I'd pay $50 for a bluray of this today
Just keep going seeing it at the theater like me

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Vegetable posted:

One complaint about the opening number is precisely that the cinematography is bad. It falls into the trap of being made to look like one shot just for the sake of it (it's actually three shots stitched together, in any case). I wish films would just cut to whatever the gently caress they wanted. Keeping things one-shot denies scenes a greater vivacity.
I wonder if Chazelle wanted to try out oneshot takes because of how furious the editing was for the ending of Whiplash, and professionally, he felt like doing something different.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
He did it because it was done in the musicals that influenced him and that he's paying homage to. He states this in the video linked earlier in the thread and in interviews.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Saw it today, and I've not left a movie theater feeling that profoundly happy in a long time. The ending was crushing but satisfying, especially that last look and smile between Mia and Seb.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

they're showing it in IMAX this week and if their goal was to get me to spend money on another ticket despite working at a movie theater currently showing La La Land well then they loving succeeded because I'm not not watching this movie on IMAX.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I saw it again yesterday with my dad on imax and it is pretty, but I did notice a little bit of digital static in spots. I miss film :(

He loved it though and he's usually the macho type, but does appreciate some old musicals like Holiday Inn

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This was shot on film though. Unless you mean from the digital projection, but that shouldn't be an issue if they had it setup correctly.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
This finally got released in the UK last week, so went and saw it. Loved it. I can't stop listening to the opening tune.

Was just wondering, was there terrible lighting in the opening musical number, or was I at a lovely cinema?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If by terrible lighting you mean hazy LA sunsmog then yeah ;)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Andrew_1985 posted:

Was just wondering, was there terrible lighting in the opening musical number, or was I at a lovely cinema?

It was shot on a real elevated freeway during the daytime in LA, and they're moving a camera crane up and down it. Can't really light it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Saw it with a friend today and we both left in a melancholy mood that I haven't shaken a couple of hours later. I'd rank it up there with Requiem for a Dream on my list of movies I loved that I never want to watch again. It hit a little close to home.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
14 nominations. Hollywood sure likes movies about Hollywood.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It wasn't a huge year for good films

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It wasn't a huge year for big films, it was a fantastic year for small studios and indies. This one was the obvious standout from big Hollywood, but it's still deserving of every nomination I think. I predict it'll take home 5-6 of those, including picture of the year.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Man, someone really loves "City of Stars" considering it's on the soundtrack half a dozen times and was put up for Best Orogonal Song. Is it just me that thinks it's the most lackluster track in the movie?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The basic bit is really nice but it feels like a sketch of a song that got turned into a first draft.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dirksteadfast posted:

Man, someone really loves "City of Stars" considering it's on the soundtrack half a dozen times and was put up for Best Orogonal Song. Is it just me that thinks it's the most lackluster track in the movie?

Agreed. I didn't really like it during the movie either. Audition is fantastic though, if a litttle too dialogue-y for best song.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Another Day of Sun is probably the best song in the movie but it doesnt feature the stars

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The opening song was catchier the second time I saw the movie, but it still feels like it belongs to another film.

Still not feeling this movie. It's fun, has some good scenes, but has no depth whatsoever. Despite wanting to punch Richard Brody for his pretentious style, the underlying argument of his review feels spot on.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-empty-exertions-of-la-la-land

quote:

The one thing that Chazelle seems to have little interest in is life. He turns Mia into an absolute cipher, giving her nothing whatsoever to talk about.

Chazelle is interested in Mia not as a character or as a person but as an ornament, a symbol of a kind of dream and a kind of success, and he puts her into his film empty, leaving her to be filled solely by the personality and the talent of Stone herself—and it’s a mark of Stone’s artistry that she puts so much into so little. All the movie’s charm emerges from her performance.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The basic bit is really nice but it feels like a sketch of a song that got turned into a first draft.
That really sums up how I feel about it. And about the soundtrack in general. Feels a little underbaked.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I was thinking about Another Day Of Sun (by far my favorite song from the movie) and realized that it would work much better thematically in a movie about a woman who goes to Hollywood to become a star but winds up getting turned into a vampire instead. Maybe this was in an earlier draft of the movie? Maybe that's why Gosling's character is so unlikable, because he was supposed to be an evil vampire?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
So...the Neon Demon?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

21 Muns posted:

So I was thinking about Another Day Of Sun (by far my favorite song from the movie) and realized that it would work much better thematically in a movie about a woman who goes to Hollywood to become a star but winds up getting turned into a vampire instead. Maybe this was in an earlier draft of the movie? Maybe that's why Gosling's character is so unlikable, because he was supposed to be an evil vampire?

I'd crowdfund that.

And yeah another day of sun if the best.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Coffee And Pie posted:

So...the Neon Demon?

Or Showgirls. Sick double feature btw

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I want to get a side by side of the little nod Gosling gives her at the end of the movie, and the look he gives Carey Mulligan in Drive after he stomps the guy's head in, I think they're almost identical.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nah, they're pretty different. The Drive look is a sullen "oh god, you just saw what a monster I am and I know this changes everything" while La La Land's is "everything worked out ok for both of us" with a little smile and hint of sadness. Ryan Gosling is charming as hell though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Lest there be any confusion, I love Ryan Gosling and La La Land, and the goofy expression he makes when seeing the last of his former love, or stomping a man's head in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is pretty impressive stuff by a bunch of Hong Kong folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIKkihThHbM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Or Showgirls. Sick double feature btw

Showgirls and Neon Demon or Showgirls and La La Land? Or Neon Demon and La La Land?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

ruddiger posted:

Showgirls and Neon Demon or Showgirls and La La Land? Or Neon Demon and La La Land?

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Showgirls three times.

• Locked thread