Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

Showgirls and Neon Demon or Showgirls and La La Land? Or Neon Demon and La La Land?

I meant Showgirls and Neon Demon, cause I didn't much care for La La Land, but either make a good contrast to that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I saw this at the cinema without expecting anything as well as having the flu, so without any other interesting movie that was gonna show I decided to watch this and man, was I surprised. I absolutely adored this movie, and the epilogue scene where Mia dreams back to all of her experiences after getting the job and how it could be if she was with Sebastian was truly an incredibly beautiful scene.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Stalins Moustache posted:

I saw this at the cinema without expecting anything as well as having the flu, so without any other interesting movie that was gonna show I decided to watch this and man, was I surprised. I absolutely adored this movie, and the epilogue scene where Mia dreams back to all of her experiences after getting the job and how it could be if she was with Sebastian was truly an incredibly beautiful scene.

It goes back further than the audition, back to the one woman show, which depicted Seb there a full theater. The entire sequence was pure fantasy, something that could never have been true.

Personally, I found the entire epilogue scene failed to add anything to the film other than run time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sinnlos posted:

Personally, I found the entire epilogue scene failed to add anything to the film other than run time.

A big chunk of the film feels pointless without the epilogue. I even felt like it was dragging a bit in the middle, but then the epilogue makes it all come together.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All these song and dance numbers do nothing but add to the running time! You could easily lose 30-40 minutes if you just cut them all

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
While you're at it cut all the animated sequences from Fantasia. There's no dialogue in them, it's just padding out the running time!

I'm in the picture business, see? *chomps cigar* Gonna make some pictures

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is it a CD thing to hate this film now

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hope not. I loved it, I just don't feel that I want to watch it again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's the popular thing to hate because it is popular. People were hating it before seeing it, as is par for the course.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yes anybody who dislikes parts of the film is now a hater. This is the worst kind of discourse.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

I think a whole lot of the veneer is going to wear off pretty quickly and everyone will realize there's not much underneath. Hates not the word though, feelings will simply moderate to 'La La Land was OK'.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I didn't hate this film but I wasn't wowed by it. I enjoyed the story, probably because I can relate but in a different stage world (opera) when it came to Mia's struggles. Having to go to parties and make connections but not really wanting to make the connections because you can't stand those people. Going to audition after audition but never succeeding and then the one that really hit home for me: her own work. I have put on concerts that have had rooms as empty as that and, yeah, it is hard when people tell you how great a job you did but they're your family and friends so of course they would support you, not to mention all of the money and time that you feel just got wasted. All of those doubts and most of the beats that Mia went through I can relate, just in a different trade.

Of course my trade leads to my unfortunate displeasure with the film, the singing. Bless Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling for trying but yikes, it reminded me a bit of Mamma Mia, you cast a bunch of really A-list guys and none of them can sing. I honestly feel that if this movie was just telling the stories it did I would have been perfectly fine, but that could also be because none of the songs really left an impact on me. People in here are talking about buying the soundtrack, listening to it over and over, I can't even remember titles to the songs. Mia's audition would have worked just as well as being an impassioned story that shows her potential as an actor and it is built up to be this climactic song and it left me with nothing. I saw a great actress attempting to sing and all I could think was "this singing is robbing me of an emotional connection and that sucks".

Also I liked the "if only" scenario which I totally thought was Seb's vision, not Mia's just because of all the fun cinematography and them just going full steam with the Singing in the Rain Golden Age stuff. I honestly kind of wished there were more moments of that in the film, the concert scene would've been an interesting place to experiment.

I guess ultimately the reason why I was disappointed is because the film seemed a little hollow, there was a lot of potential and a lot more could have been done than what happened on screen. You had a great duo with Gosling and Stone but their big moments just ended up misfiring and it was such a shame :(

I give it 3-3.5/5

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I agree that the leads aren't great singers, but Emma Stone's voice fits the lyrics really well in the audition scene. It just works.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Great film, I thought there was some dead weight in the middle. It probably seemed that way because most of the best lyrical numbers were towards the beginning.

At the pool party scene what was the song they were playing before I Ran? I always hear it around but can never remember its name.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twitter and bisted posted:

At the pool party scene what was the song they were playing before I Ran? I always hear it around but can never remember its name.

A-ha - Take On Me

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Thanks!

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I could not stop hearing 'Rainbow Connection' during 'Mia & Sebastian's Theme.'

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Most criticism I have heard has been from musical theater nerds saying that it is an uninformed imitation of the trappings of genre in terms of the music and dance rather than really an homage. For my non-MT eyes, the song and dance performances were not a distraction and the acting performances were great. Perhaps a moviegoer from the heyday would have more critical eyes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That resembles criticism jazz nerds made about Whiplash. It's fair, I think, but also completely irrelevant for most moviegoers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think it's fair criticism in the sense that most people wanted either more songs or better drama, and I think the songs that were there could've been stronger.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally saw this. It gets a lot right - the cinematography/lighting/colour especially are incredible, and I wouldn't be sad if Stone won for Actress - and overall it does manage to get by and be an enjoyable movie largely on charm, but yeah I wasn't especially into any of the songs (first one was probably the closest to being good) and there isn't a whole lot of substance in the script. The pacing is extremely weird and the scene where they argue is really awful + forced as hell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I thought the argument was particularly convincing- neither is really trying to be mean to each other but things just pile up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Maxwell Lord posted:

See I thought the argument was particularly convincing- neither is really trying to be mean to each other but things just pile up.

Agreed. It was a very grounded and realistic coming to head with the little tensions that can build up in a relationship.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah. The blowup/storm out was a bit much but up until that it was perfectly realistic. Their eyes especially were fantastic, look at where they're looking when they speak.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I liked that scene very much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it's mainly the underlying elements I disagree with than anything in the scene itself. Sebastian blames Mia for him joining The Messengers and not working towards opening his club because......why? She's never anything other than supportive, and actively defends him to her mother on the phone. Felt more like they skipped a couple steps because they needed to have a fight happen then

Also that pop song they play in the concert scene is easily my favourite from the whole movie. easily

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If I remember right, when he overhears Mia's mother hounding her on the phone about whether or not he has a real/steady job is when Seb gets it in his head he isn't doing enough to deserve her. That's when he decides to sell out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really liked this, but I thought the opening 5 minutes were bizarre. The music felt weak and it didn't sit with the rest of the film at all. I'm guessing they had a cool idea to open the movie but didn't drop it once it started to not work.

Also I am a strange man in that the part that made me most emotional was that first audition scene with the close up on Mia's face on the phone. The intimacy and facial acting made me want to burst into tears (I didn't because I am a burly man's man).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's socially accepted to cry like a baby during the epilogue tho. It's one of those common understandings, like the opening of Up.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

It's socially accepted to cry like a baby during the epilogue tho. It's one of those common understandings, like the opening of Up.

The epilogue put me into flat out ugly crying. Intermittently throughout the rest of the evening even.

I'm intensely glad to have seen it. Will be happy to see it again. Helped put some things that have haunted my mind for the past (longer than I'd like to admit).

But yeah, uuuuugly crying. And I'm a guy. No shame.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Steve2911 posted:

Really liked this, but I thought the opening 5 minutes were bizarre. The music felt weak and it didn't sit with the rest of the film at all. I'm guessing they had a cool idea to open the movie but didn't drop it once it started to not work.

Also I am a strange man in that the part that made me most emotional was that first audition scene with the close up on Mia's face on the phone. The intimacy and facial acting made me want to burst into tears (I didn't because I am a burly man's man).

Yeah her phone audition was some of the best acting I've ever seen. She has to imagine a caller (it seems like a boy that chose to go with a different girl?) while those studio dicks are distracted and distracting. Is that really what a lot of auditions are like?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

got any sevens posted:

Yeah her phone audition was some of the best acting I've ever seen. She has to imagine a caller (it seems like a boy that chose to go with a different girl?) while those studio dicks are distracted and distracting. Is that really what a lot of auditions are like?

Having been one of the background assistants, it's worse. It was soul crushing in my eyes, and watching every person come in there to give it their all only to be casually dismissed was really eye opening for someone who grew up on the Hollywood fringe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw this movie last night with my fiance and we both loved it. So did the woman behind us who didn't realize what she was watching. There was a very audible "oh noooo she's with another man" at the end.

Also, because I'm a child, I kept thinking about It's Always Sunny's musical episode during the movie. :v:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

RBA Starblade posted:

There was a very audible "oh noooo she's with another man" at the end.
That was one of my favorite parts of watching the movie a second time—hearing those audible groans.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nothing after the first two songs on the soundtrack lives up to them, so I just listen to those two on repeat

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

got any sevens posted:

this is one of the things I really liked about the movie, every audition that she goes to that same experience has happened to everyone. Whether it be for film, stage, singing, speaking, everyone has had a terrible audition where they get interrupted mid-dialogue, or they're cut off after only a few seconds and sent on their way.

The interesting thing as well is that when we first see Mia she's already been on the circuit for a few years, so we don't get to see what she was like when she probably thought she made good impressions, only for the phone to never ring :smith:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I saw two movies today* and they both had a trailer for La La Land when the movie has been airing over here since December. They're really riding that Golden Globes high.

*The Great Wall and Lego Batman, so much for trailers matching the main feature I guess.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Aces High posted:

this is one of the things I really liked about the movie, every audition that she goes to that same experience has happened to everyone. Whether it be for film, stage, singing, speaking, everyone has had a terrible audition where they get interrupted mid-dialogue, or they're cut off after only a few seconds and sent on their way.

The interesting thing as well is that when we first see Mia she's already been on the circuit for a few years, so we don't get to see what she was like when she probably thought she made good impressions, only for the phone to never ring :smith:

yeah if you do anything creative / expressive you're gonna run into this sooner or later :( i think they captured how it grinds you down really well.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I think partially what got Seb upset was that part of his motivation that Mia sorta did push him into it. There's both the scene where Mia's talking to her mom, and the scene before that where she asks him why he acted weird around Keith and his proposal (and kinda pushing him to explore it).

As for the ending, I kinda did wish they made something that was more cohesive. As is, the '5 Years Later', felt tacked on and a little disjointed. Especially going off of a scene, saying they would 'see where this goes', which I read as them creating a clean break for them to move on, either together or apart with no regrets. Then jump to her starting a family (5 years feels a little sudden for that IMHO), and they're sad and regretful with little tissue going from A to B. I almost wish they went more avant garde, and just left the film on the epilogue without the 'back to reality' come down. Considering that the film had a somewhat tenuous relationship to reality with the musical numbers and dance sequences, it made sense to me to say that this 'happy ending' is just as real as when everyone stops everything in their tracks to perform an enormous number. To fanfic for a moment, I even kinda wish they capped it off with a few lines of dialog: "What if this isn't real? Just a daydream of what we wish was true?" "Come on, it's LA. We work and we fight to make dreams like this real", cue kiss, one last set piece, 'It's Another Day of Sun~', and leave them on a high.

Hedrigall posted:

Nothing after the first two songs on the soundtrack lives up to them, so I just listen to those two on repeat

I'm kinda the same. I can listen to those two repeatedly, but the rest I only really appreciate in the context of the film. I can appreciate something like 'Start a Fire' as a good song produced by talented people, but I just wanted more in the style of the first two. And a little confused on the 'City of Stars' nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I agree with Conan. The hat subplot didn't match the tone of the rest of the film.

• Locked thread