Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Jubs posted:

I agree with Conan. The hat subplot didn't match the tone of the rest of the film.

Yeah that scene was kind of out of nowhere and didn't really add to the main romance plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It was a great gag though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

stop gaslighting me

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Hype is a real killer sometimes.

Saw this last night, aside from the cinematography, which I thought was really fantastic, the film was really just average to me. I enjoyed the songs, but didn't find any of them remarkable. I thought the actors were solid (and I generally like both of them), but neither blew my socks off. I love musicals and classic Hollywood, but this did nothing amazing for me. I also think Whiplash is one of the best films of this decade. Went in with a lot of hype and was let down. I might put it in my top 10 for the year, but it'd be in the second half.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Good movie bad musical. While the tunes sound good the lyrics themselves are shallow nothings, not to mention that the music doesn't follow the themes or arc of the film and just kind of exist to be. The people walking out of this at my theater gives me hope this gets ignored at the Oscars; most overrated nominee since brokeback mountain. Gosling should be nominated for Nice Guys, not his bumming around in this film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bushisms.txt posted:

The people walking out of this at my theater gives me hope this gets ignored at the Oscars; most overrated nominee since brokeback mountain.

It won't, but stop caring about what the Oscars honours.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just hoping Moana gets Best Original Song so that Lin-Manuel Miranda can be an EGOT winner and the third ever PEGOT winner.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

bushisms.txt posted:

The people walking out of this at my theater gives me hope this gets ignored at the Oscars; most overrated nominee since brokeback mountain.

This article makes the argument that it has more appeal to the average movie-goer than other nominees and winners from previous years, even internationally: https://filmschoolrejects.com/china-loves-la-la-land-f025fb68fe44#.62jz2c89r

The theater I frequent will be showing La La Land in the IMAX room. This is a movie that does not benefit significantly from such a large screen or its elaborate sound system. This is a movie they've been showing for nearly two months. This is... just a really popular movie!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dunno, I wonder if the dreamy moon sequences would look nicer in IMAX. Don’t think they have a major movie out now that’d really use IMAX well, anyway (unless you’d like them to show Hacksaw Ridge or some poo poo).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bushisms.txt posted:

not to mention that the music doesn't follow the themes or arc of the film and just kind of exist to be.

I really don't get this... Do you have any examples? Other than the first number (which actually makes a lot more sense to me after giving the soundtrack a few listens) I can't think of anything that doesn't sit perfectly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The lyrics are pretty lazy.

edit: the movie has exactly one moment of musical brilliance, which is when they sing "What a waste of a lovely night" right before all the fidgeting on the bench. For the length of six words, the music is perfect.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 19, 2017

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Start a Fire is still my favorite song, mainly because I like hearing the technique of John Legend's voice vs Emma Stone/Ryan Gosling. I wish it had also been nominated.

But I'm onboard with Miranda getting the PEGOT - Shiny would have been a cooler song to win it on.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope Miranda wins, but I wish either Where You Are or We Know The Way was the nominated song from Moana, partly because I love them both, but mainly because I'd love to see the extended cast perform on stage at the Oscars (and ALSO because the latter song is multilingual and it would be so cool for it to be nominated!)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think How Far I'll Go is the weakest song in that film- it feels the most like A Disney Ballad, complete with the turning one syllable into two to show off the vocalist's range etc.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly think How Far I'll Go is the weakest song in that film- it feels the most like A Disney Ballad, complete with the turning one syllable into two to show off the vocalist's range etc.

Ah yes, and this is a bad thing because

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It just feels generic in a way most of the other songs don't.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

It just feels generic in a way most of the other songs don't.

it feels generic because it's the I Want song, something literally every musical ever has and will always have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22I_Want%22_song

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's a quick behind the scene of the filming

someone in the crowd

Summer montage

I would probably watch this whole movie again from behind the scenes if I could. Some of the behind the scene stuff for this movie was amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 20, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

it feels generic because it's the I Want song, something literally every musical ever has and will always have.

True but the best entries in any genre find new things to do with the formula and repackage the conventions in unusual ways. Like "Somewhere That's Green" is also an I Want song (the composers even drew on it for "Part of That World" in Little Mermaid, even referring to it as "Somewhere That's Dry") but it's subversive in its kitschiness.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

blue squares posted:

It's not a very good one.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

This article makes the argument that it has more appeal to the average movie-goer than other nominees and winners from previous years, even internationally: https://filmschoolrejects.com/china-loves-la-la-land-f025fb68fe44#.62jz2c89r

The theater I frequent will be showing La La Land in the IMAX room. This is a movie that does not benefit significantly from such a large screen or its elaborate sound system. This is a movie they've been showing for nearly two months. This is... just a really popular movie!

Of course it does, it's two beautiful white people dancing around and singing like in the good old days, where whites stole black music for their own.

Steve2911 posted:

I really don't get this... Do you have any examples? Other than the first number (which actually makes a lot more sense to me after giving the soundtrack a few listens) I can't think of anything that doesn't sit perfectly.

At what point does Seb actually sing or dance to this pure jazz he rants about? We see some black men playing, and even a telling scene where Seb just copies actual jazz for practice.

Any time him and stone are together, all the music is big band or ball room, and this is when we should've heard jazz the most. He even proclaims she loves jazz now at the end of the movie, but the soundtrack never tells us this.

And does no one find it strange the one character who loves and wants to revitalize jazz, former slave music(loved the white washed origin story), is a white man? Switch John legend for gosling and the movie makes more sense on its face. My theory is the character was originally black but no one thought it would sell, so we got this. Why is Ryan gosling frying chicken? It's two perfect pieces of chicken(look like breasts could be thighs), which you think is a call back to his restaurant name, but that name is a call back/reference to a drumstick. Why is an interracial marriage so upfront in this movie and it means nothing in the overall scheme of the movie. I know it could be taken as just it being there, but it plays weird when his only real connections to black cultural are his sister's new family and John legend a man who is ruining what he loves.

LesterGroans posted:

It won't, but stop caring about what the Oscars honours.
I don't care about the Oscars on a broad sense, but a studio fronting an all black cast and getting awarded for it outside of the BETs is a huge thing. It's sets a precedent that blacks are marketable, like hidden figures out grossing all the others. And it shows the studios are missing out on a huge audience, which will in turn force more projects out that cater to that audience.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 22, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The music in Whiplash sucked too so it's no surprise Chazelle fumbles the "jazz" discussions.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

bushisms.txt posted:

At what point does Seb actually sing or dance to this pure jazz he rants about? We see some black men playing, and even a telling scene where Seb just copies actual jazz for practice.

what a weird statement

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't care about the Oscars on a broad sense, but a studio fronting an all black cast and getting awarded for it outside of the BETs is a huge thing. It's sets a precedent that blacks are marketable, like hidden figures out grossing all the others. And it shows the studios are missing out on a huge audience, which will in turn force more projects out that cater to that audience.

I agree with this. Moonlight is absolutely the better movie. But La La Land has done well with audiences and critics and it's almost certainly walking away with the win, so I wouldn't hang my hopes on the Academy reacting like the people in your theatre.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
La La Land would win even if it was a worse movie because it's about Hollywood/show business

God drat do I want Lin-Manuel Miranda to get dat PEGOT though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

La La Land would win even if it was a worse movie because it's about Hollywood/show business

God drat do I want Lin-Manuel Miranda to get dat PEGOT though

Hamilton is stupid as gently caress

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

blue squares posted:

Nah

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Lovechop posted:

what a weird statement

So no answer to the question, just faux surprise over me pointing out the inconsistency of the logic this film employs.

And it was weird watching it play out. "Appropriation Land" kept popping up in my head.

I didn't even mention the choreography, which was so boring and uninspired, the opening number had me audibly saying "that's it?" The dude parkouring on the cars was the height of the 2000s. Then I researched the choreographer, turns out they're from Dancing with the Stars, then it all made sense. Boring ballroom was not what this movie needed, especially with the "emphasis" on jazz. Speaking of dancing, the part in the planetarium, where they float in the sky and become silhouettes, made a person next me say, "that's not them dancing." And the funny thing, they were right, you can easily see the silhouettes are different people, then there come floating back down and it's just laughable.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

nah dude it's good. I know it's trendy to hate it now but it's real fuckin good

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bushisms.txt posted:

So no answer to the question, just faux surprise over me pointing out the inconsistency of the logic this film employs.

And it was weird watching it play out. "Appropriation Land" kept popping up in my head.

I didn't even mention the choreography, which was so boring and uninspired, the opening number had me audibly saying "that's it?" The dude parkouring on the cars was the height of the 2000s. Then I researched the choreographer, turns out they're from Dancing with the Stars, then it all made sense. Boring ballroom was not what this movie needed, especially with the "emphasis" on jazz. Speaking of dancing, the part in the planetarium, where they float in the sky and become silhouettes, made a person next me say, "that's not them dancing." And the funny thing, they were right, you can easily see the silhouettes are different people, then there come floating back down and it's just laughable.

Yeah I didn't think Ryan Gosling was actually dancing among the stars in space...it was a metaphor. Perhaps he was also imagining he was a better dancer (and better looking?) like how in the Matrix you would have hair and wouldnt show your hookup sockets.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Yeah I didn't think Ryan Gosling was actually dancing among the stars in space...it was a metaphor. Perhaps he was also imagining he was a better dancer (and better looking?) like how in the Matrix you would have hair and wouldnt show your hookup sockets.
Sure, but the person is still you in the matrix. The obvious body switch is just sloppy, especially when these actors are supposedly being nominated in part because of their "ability" to dance. They could barely sing too, and when Stone sang her acting part I laughed, because that's the only way cinematically they could think to "better" her first audition. City of Stars is like half a song, and it feels like they just gave up on it, probably disheartened by Gosling's range. Frankly, this movie doesn't get nominated if that ending didn't happen the way it did. Kept it from being just a sappy live action Disney knock off.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 23, 2017

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

bushisms.txt posted:

please correct me if i'm wrong (i'm a big retard who can't read so it's very possible) but your post just gave me the impression that maybe you're not a fan of jazz or you don't know it too well or something? which seems at odds with how annoyed you are at how it is used in the film.

the bit of him 'copying actual jazz' is the most real part of the movie. anyone who plays some kind of improvised music knows the pain of transcribing difficult parts and listening to the same few seconds of a tape over and over until you get it right. it says hey, this guy is a serious musician. it immediately lets you know he's this purist, perfectionist dude. how is that 'telling'? it's just a really odd thing to say.

also, it would have been incredibly weird for the guy who wants to play super complex Art Tatum style poo poo to start dancing and singing "I love jazz!" about it. i'm incredibly glad they didn't do that because it would have been goofy as hell. they captured the way he feels perfectly well with the part where he's stuck playing those cheesy old songs until he's had enough and gets fired for playing Mia and Sebastian's theme (which is a great piece of music imo)

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Also, what's with the slagging of "big band"? Jazz didn't start with bebop.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The big joke here and in Whiplash is they're agonizing to preserve the most sterile, unfeeling version of jazz classics, you know, the kind that doesn't interrupt your loving latte.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The big joke here and in Whiplash is they're agonizing to preserve the most sterile, unfeeling version of jazz classics, you know, the kind that doesn't interrupt your loving latte.
If your concept of classic jazz is "instrumentals played at Starbucks" then GTFO.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Paolomania posted:

If your concept of classic jazz is "instrumentals played at Starbucks" then GTFO.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the most sterile, unfeeling version of

use your entire eyeball

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's really weird how people watched La La Land and didn't seem to pick up on the fact that Seb was in the wrong the whole time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Pirate Jet posted:

It's really weird how people watched La La Land and didn't seem to pick up on the fact that Seb was in the wrong the whole time.

I just wish it did a better job of capitalizing on his wrongness.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Pirate Jet posted:

While that seems to be Chazelle's argument, it's not portrayed well in the movie. I also think Seb is wrong but that really deflates the emotional impact of the movie. Do I care about or want to root for an entitled white man who fails upward and learns no lessons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
He's kinda wrong, but in the end he's better off being able to do what can satisfy him- take the money for a while, then use it for what you really want to do. Just like Keith isn't wrong for wanting to play jazzy music that's also really popular. "Start A Fire" is a good song, but Sebastian won't be happy playing it over and over and over again for the rest of his career. The film really isn't very judgmental, which is something I like about it.

• Locked thread