Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
I sucked at posting last year (and generally) but I completed the Booklord Challenge and had a lot of fun doing it. So I'm in for 125+ books this year plus the Booklord Challenge again! My other challenge will be to actually update.

Someone wildcard me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nefarias bredd posted:

I sucked at posting last year (and generally) but I completed the Booklord Challenge and had a lot of fun doing it. So I'm in for 125+ books this year plus the Booklord Challenge again! My other challenge will be to actually update.

Someone wildcard me?

Two Thousand Seasons, by Ayi Kwei Armah.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

A human heart posted:

Two Thousand Seasons, by Ayi Kwei Armah.

I've checked Waterstones/Amazon/Abe/TBD/Wordery and can't find this available anywhere in the UK :(

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

some university libraries might have it if you have access to those, check worldcat maybe

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'm around for this,

Name: Sandwolf
Number: 30
Booklord's Challenge: Not really

I'm gonna try to do the Booklord Challenge but I'm not using it was a bible, though I may choose to read differing things from the backlog to meet the requirements anyways!

I just like talking to people about books :)

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

A human heart posted:

some university libraries might have it if you have access to those, check worldcat maybe

Unfortunately no :( nearest library that has it is 40 miles away and it's for reference only. I think I might need another pick.

clq
Aug 8, 2014
This space intentionally left blank.
After failing miserably a couple of years ago, and falling off the SA forums entirely while I was at it, I'm going to give this another try.

Name: clq
Number: 35
Booklord's challenge: Yes

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

nefarias bredd posted:

Unfortunately no :( nearest library that has it is 40 miles away and it's for reference only. I think I might need another pick.

I see a copy on Abe Books that would cost $28 including shipping. Time to start a kickstarter.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nefarias bredd posted:

You can get it direct from the african publishers here for like 16.00(US i think), iirc the store is based in the US so shipping maybe isn't terrible http://stores.bbkwan.com/two-thousand-seasons-by-ayi-kwei-armah/

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

A human heart posted:

You can get it direct from the african publishers here for like 16.00(US i think), iirc the store is based in the US so shipping maybe isn't terrible http://stores.bbkwan.com/two-thousand-seasons-by-ayi-kwei-armah/

Thank you so much but shipping is $30.00 :ohdear:

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I'm being ridiculously ambitious with my reading goals for 2017 (possibly it's because I feel like I need to atone for reading all those Baby-Sitters Club books in 2016), so here's what I'm doing:

Name: nerdpony
Number: 52
Book Lord: Yes

Also:
BookRiot
12 Nobel winners
6 BotMs
At least 20 women, at least 20 PoCs, at least 5 in German, at least 10 in translation, at least 5 published in 2017
Review everything I read on Goodreads

Edit: For anyone else doing the BookRiot challenge or looking for recommendations that fit into the categories (some of them overlap with Book Lord), here's a list of recommendations from NYPL librarians: https://www.nypl.org/blog/2016/12/22/doing-2017-read-harder-challenge-try-these-books.

Another edit: Someone wildcard me?

nerdpony fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 30, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bandiet posted:

No vanilla number for me, that felt silly this year and I am comfortable with the amount of books I read. But I will do the rest of the booklord challenge.

Yeah this is my exact sentiment, I pushed myself to break my record this year (read more than 80) but I want to reserve the option to take it slow and switch it up at points. I will definitely read well over 60 so I can put that as a goal but it seems perfunctory at that point:

Name: Guy A. Person
Number: whatever
Book Lord: Yes

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

nerdpony posted:

Another edit: Someone wildcard me?

Bernhard's The Limeworks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I still need a wildcard too, please.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nefarias bredd posted:

Thank you so much but shipping is $30.00 :ohdear:

I will sub in The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyám

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I am in for 70 and the Booklord challenge. Someone wildcard me!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I still need a wildcard too, please.

Rural Rides, by William Cobbet.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lots of cool wild cards on this page, someone wild card me too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Lots of cool wild cards on this page, someone wild card me too

The Peregrine by J. A. Baker

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

Rural Rides, by William Cobbet.

Free on kindle! Thanks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Name: Safety Biscuits
Number: 100
Booklord's challenge: Yes

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
Name: Siminu
Number: 40
Booklord: Hellsyeah

I beat the challenge easily last year, but fell off the wagon when work picked up in the last few months. I only hit 43 of my 52 goal.

In personal exchange for lowering my number I'm challenging myself to actually post in the goddamn thread with some regularity. I'm aiming for an update a month, a task everyone else seems to find trivial.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I'm in again, last year was really fun and got me to read books I definitely wouldn't have.

Name: Chekans 3 16
Number: 45
Booklord: Si.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I'm in again this year, read loads more than I thought I would but didn't quite beat the challenge.

Name: Robot Mil
Booklord: yep

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I didn't do the challenge here last year, but I did on Goodreads and ended up reading 46 books, which for me is a lot. Most I've ever read! Really proud of myself.

Name: apophenium
Booklord: Yes

Feel free to add me on Goodreads!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
JUST gently caress ME UP

Name: Gertrude Perkins
Booklord: Yes!
ALSO: At least 1/3 books by people of colour, at least 1/3 books by women.

GoodReads: Here!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Barely missed my goal last year so I'm gonna give it another shot.

Name: Grizzled Patriarch
Booklord: Hell Yeah

And a Goodreads link, cause last year I got some good recommendations through goons.

Fart of Darkness
Dec 2, 2016
After falling off halfway through my goal of 52, I'm ready to try again! I'm gonna go for 52 books and the booklord challenge.

Name: Fart of Darkness
Booklord: Yes!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Should be caught up to here. Glad to see so many signing up and taking on the challenge, I look forward to finding out what you're all reading :)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What's everyone's first book of the year? Mine's God Knows by Joseph Heller, read Catch 22 last year for the first time and fell in love with it, so I'm trying Heller's foray in religion.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

What's everyone's first book of the year? Mine's God Knows by Joseph Heller, read Catch 22 last year for the first time and fell in love with it, so I'm trying Heller's foray in religion.

Been alternating between Shogun and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone since Christmas. One is for my son, one for me. I think he is enjoying the adventures of Anjin-san, but not sure since he can't talk yet.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

How's the Heller? In my stabs it just seemed to prove the truth in the jibe that he never wrote anything as good as Catch 22, "neither did anyone else" notwithstanding.

Fart of Darkness
Dec 2, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

I was given a copy of Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According To Biff for Christmas. I'd never read Christopher Moore, but this book is pretty funny. Jesus and his buddy Biff try to circumcise a "graven image" of a pagan God, and accidentally lop off it's dick.

Fart of Darkness fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 2, 2017

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

I have Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami out from the library and have to return it soon. So probably that.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'll do this! Maybe I'll actually hit my goal this year instead of only getting 11

Name: Strong Mouse
Number: 50
Booklord: Let's do this

I should get 7 fairly easily as I am reading the Harry Potter books for the 20th anniversery, though I'm not going to count them for any of the challenges except 1-3.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I was thinking of tackling Catch 22 to be honest because, while I've always wanted to read it, it's always managed to fall just behind something else that I wanted to read. Either that or The Catcher in the Rye because I honestly can't remember anything about it even though I know that I had to read it in High School.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Squishy posted:

How's the Heller? In my stabs it just seemed to prove the truth in the jibe that he never wrote anything as good as Catch 22, "neither did anyone else" notwithstanding.

Only about a hundred pages into it, but I'm actually really enjoying it. I didn't expect it to rival Catch 22 but I'm a godless heathen and Heller's voice is still very much so there. It's also a little bit more straightforward, without all the chronological wonkiness. It's a pretty funny, biting satire of Biblical works and if you liked Catch 22 and aren't very religious, I reckon God Knows is worth a read, but again, I'm only a hundred pages in.

USMC_Karl posted:

I was thinking of tackling Catch 22 to be honest because, while I've always wanted to read it, it's always managed to fall just behind something else that I wanted to read. Either that or The Catcher in the Rye because I honestly can't remember anything about it even though I know that I had to read it in High School.

Read Catch 22 if you have the patience and focus, it was one of the best books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Funny, insightful, powerful, creative - gently caress, it's such a good book.

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 2, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading Infinite Jest, The Underground Railroad by Colton Whitehead for my book club, and also Mother Night by Vonnegut.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

As has become my standard, I'll be aiming for 52 books in total, at least 24 by female authors and at least 12 non-fiction. I fell well short last year, but managed it in previous years, so we'll see. Here's my Goodreads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Someone shoot me a wildcard - preferably something that's free or cheap online since my library sucks, or something I can snag through Kindle Unlimited.

• Locked thread