Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I like your booklord challenge and I will go for that. I'm going to aim for 25 books this year, which I feel is a fair number. I'm starting over with Herbert's Dune, since I got a little ways into it a month ago but got bored and stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Sandwolf posted:

What's everyone's first book of the year? Mine's God Knows by Joseph Heller, read Catch 22 last year for the first time and fell in love with it, so I'm trying Heller's foray in religion.

I'm starting off with The Good Immigrant in hard copy, which is a collection of essays about being an immigrant in Britain, and The Collected Works of Kahlil Gibran on the Kindle.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Got most of my reading list sorted for this year

+ Hamlet, Girls to the front by Sara Marcus, Days in the lives of social workers - Linda May Grobman, Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky, The humourless ladies of border control - Franz Nicolay, Underground - Daniel Makagon, Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1) - Brian Mclellan

fulfills all of the requirements except for these:

5) Read at least one TBB BoTM and post in the monthly thread about it.
6) Read a book someone else in the thread recommends (a wildcard!)
14) Read some poetry.
16) Read a collection of Short Stories
18) Read something which was banned or censored.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm most of the way through this beast, which I was finishing off at the end of 2016. My first book wholly in 2017 will be Kawabata's Snow Country.

clq
Aug 8, 2014
This space intentionally left blank.

Sandwolf posted:

What's everyone's first book of the year? Mine's God Knows by Joseph Heller, read Catch 22 last year for the first time and fell in love with it, so I'm trying Heller's foray in religion.

I started The Stand (extended edition to boot) several months ago, and got stuck about a third of the way in. My attention has just been grabbed by non-book media and life-stuff. I resolved to finish The Stand during the first week this year, and am now at 85%. At around two thirds in the book finally got to the point, that I was confident it would get to eventually, where I could hardly put it down.

The first book I'll be starting this year will be Pride and Prejudice. A certain item on the Booklord's list had me think that it's time to finally read that classic.

clq fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 2, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I read Pride and Prejudice last year and had a good time with it. Enjoy!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Someone shoot me a wildcard - preferably something that's free or cheap online since my library sucks, or something I can snag through Kindle Unlimited.

The Warden by Trollope's out of copyright, should be able to get that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I was out for 2016 and had the worst year in recorded memory. As alms to the future, I'm back in for 2017.

Year-long goal: 100

And count me in for booklord, too. Let's do this thing.

1. Jerusalem

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'm in the middle of two books right now, but I think the one I'm gonna finish first is Judy Melinek's Working Stiff, which is just a medical examiner talking about her years working for city of New York. It's a nice balance of her talking about what actually goes on in her job re: figuring out cause of death and helping solve the occasional homicide and her just recounting the gnarliest corpses she encountered. It rules.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
i didn´t get anything read last year because of life, this year I´ll try to get reading again.
I want to read 30 books, 10 of which have to be in Japanese, 5 in German. I will also try to do the book lord challenge.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mdemone posted:

1. Jerusalem

That fucker took me two and a half months! Glad I read it though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For those with eReaders (mainly Kindle), I recommend bookmarking the ebook deals thread. It updates almost daily, and saves a huge amount of money for good books. Or post any deals you find.

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

Only managed to read 15 books in 2016, I'm trying to do better this year.

Name: Pieholes
Number: 20
Booklord's challenge: no

Goodreads

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm in, with the same parameters as last year:

- 96 books
- ≥10% nonfictiction
- ≤25% rereads
- Booklord Challenge

#3 is probably going to give me the most trouble, though, both because my shelves are pretty white-heavy and because figuring out an author's ethinicity is often a lot harder than figuring out their gender (to the point that I often cannot be arsed).

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

I'm polishing off The Biographers Tale by AS Byatt, but like 90% of that was last year. First book wholly of this year is either Umami by Laia Jufresa or A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson, just depends on how I'm feeling once I finally finish this one.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im still working my way through gravity's rainbow from last year and haven't decided what my first new book should be yet. Hamsun Bernhard or The Royal Game by Zweig probably.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm in, with the same parameters as last year:

- 96 books
- ≥10% nonfictiction
- ≤25% rereads
- Booklord Challenge

#3 is probably going to give me the most trouble, though, both because my shelves are pretty white-heavy and because figuring out an author's ethinicity is often a lot harder than figuring out their gender (to the point that I often cannot be arsed).

I'm having a bit of an weird issue with this too, but with LGBT. I'm trying to mark my Goodreads so I have a list to draw from, but it's a blurry line to define sometimes. Michael Chabon has written several gay/bisexual characters, he quietly identifies as bisexual, but he's married to a woman.

Is Alexandre Dumas considered non-white? What about Malcolm Gladwell? José Saramago would be considered white, but he's Portuguese.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Follow your heart.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I'm having a bit of an weird issue with this too, but with LGBT. I'm trying to mark my Goodreads so I have a list to draw from, but it's a blurry line to define sometimes. Michael Chabon has written several gay/bisexual characters, he quietly identifies as bisexual, but he's married to a woman.

Is Alexandre Dumas considered non-white? What about Malcolm Gladwell? José Saramago would be considered white, but he's Portuguese.

I wrestled with that a bit last year and basically settled on Non-European. Mia Coutu may be writing from Mozambique, but dude's Portguese and white af. South Americans like Piglia and Amado I basically just decided were nonwhite, on the basis that I'd consider someone from Mexico non-white, but not Spain. Mostly, I think the answer is Race is a Social Construct, go with your gut. Alternately, "How would this author be treated in Alabama?"

For LGBT if it's not well known, I searched interviews to see if they identify. One of my first books is a guy who identifies as "queer" so I'll likely cross off the challenge there, but I'd like to generally expand my horizons there, and it's not real easy outside of people writing as queer authors rather than authors who happen to be LGBT.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Franchescanado posted:

As someone committed to the booklord challenge I've adopted a "one drop" policy, and also ruled slavs as being PoC.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

If you don't mind YA, I'm going to read either More Happy Than Not or History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera (or both), they're supposed to be good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wezlar posted:

If you don't mind YA, I'm going to read either More Happy Than Not or History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera (or both), they're supposed to be good.

I currently have One Bloody Thing After Another by Joey Comeau (gay) and Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg (Lesbian/Transgender) on my shelf, among Roxane Gay, Clive Barker, Sedaris,

Fun fact, my friend works for SoHo Press and oversaw the design for More Happy Than Not (at least the smiley face design), and I was supposed to get a free copy from her (and never did). I haven't read him yet, but Adam Silvera's supposed to be a super nice guy to work with. I hope you enjoy it!

Here's my Goodreads. Be my friend.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I'd say if he identifies as bi that counts. I mean, unless he's also poly he's not going to be "actively bi" regardless.

For my part, this is going to be a really easy challenge, because I read a lot of SF/F and a lot of my favoured authors there are LGBTQ of some sort, C.J. Cherryh and Melissa Scott foremost among them. I could probably do "20% books by queer authors" without much trouble.

Sandwolf posted:

My first logged book is Inheritor by C.J. Cherryh, but I started reading it in 2016. I've just started on The New Space Opera 2 short story collection, since while I want to read the first 15 Foreigner books this year, I don't think I want to read them all in one sitting. Next up after that is probably clearing out some of my Diane Duane backlog (Rihannsu or the Middle Kingdoms books), or Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (the latter will be my first nonfiction this year regardless).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ToxicFrog posted:

For my part, this is going to be a really easy challenge, because I read a lot of SF/F and a lot of my favoured authors there are LGBTQ of some sort, C.J. Cherryh and Melissa Scott foremost among them. I could probably do "20% books by queer authors" without much trouble.

Challenge made.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Corrode posted:

Challenge made.

Challenge accepted.

tookie
Nov 12, 2008
Would love to participate. 60 books + the booklord challenge.

I completed it last year, but was terrible about posting. Hopefully I can do better in 2017!

My goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/638608-kate

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Sandwolf posted:

Read Catch 22 if you have the patience and focus, it was one of the best books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Funny, insightful, powerful, creative - gently caress, it's such a good book.

Started reading Catch 22 and have got to say that it is a lot of fun so far. It reads as a collection of vignettes, but it definitely gets the "everyone is crazy, war is crazy" vibe across. I'm only about 7 chapters in right now, but if it keeps this up I might follow up with God Knows for more of Heller. Thanks for the push!

I'll add you to my Goodreads friend list, if you don't mind. Having some people on my Goodreads to make me feel guilty would be most welcome. I have pretty trashy taste in my reading but swear that I'm trying to smarten up!

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 4, 2017

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

tookie posted:

Would love to participate. 60 books + the booklord challenge.

I completed it last year, but was terrible about posting. Hopefully I can do better in 2017!

My goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/638608-kate

Well poo poo... I found the female me reading wise. I forgot to mention that I was a goon in the message.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I'll add My Goodreads too, because I've always been lonely over there... friend me if you read lit so I can loot your reading choices.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I added a bunch of you on Goodreads. Except Bandiet - says yours is set to private and there's no add button, at least on mobile.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Man, 2016 was the worst year for reading I've had in years. I think I can do better than 10 books this year.

Name: Aphra Bane
Number: 20
Booklord: no
Other challenge: at least 3 books by Indigenous Australian authors, and at least 10 books from my "bought years ago and haven't looked at since" pile

Goodreads

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Shoot, I'll get in on the good reads thing. Add me if you want: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/23075025-mike

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Squishy posted:

How's the Heller? In my stabs it just seemed to prove the truth in the jibe that he never wrote anything as good as Catch 22, "neither did anyone else" notwithstanding.

Ha, that's my view on it as well. But I can't blame the guy for "only" having written one great book when that book is as great as it is.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ToxicFrog posted:

Challenge accepted.

Good stuff!

Should have everyone up to here. I fly to Costa Rica for two weeks on Friday, so if I miss anyone between now and then, it's because I have better things to do. Normal service will resume end of Jan.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Finished my first book of the year (Camus - The Outsider (L'Étranger)), and starting on a collection of the first three Ripley novels by Patricia Highsmith. Individually the books are ~300 pages, but the collection has closer to 900 - would that count as a "500+ page book" if I read the whole thing this year?

Also, somebody sling me a wildcard! Preferably written by an author of colour, since I need to expand those horizons.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Corrode posted:

I added a bunch of you on Goodreads. Except Bandiet - says yours is set to private and there's no add button, at least on mobile.

made it public

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Hey, I'm in.

Name: Chamberk
Number: Aiming for about 52.
Booklord Challenge: Sure

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4263667-kyle

I'm already two down this year, having finished Tad Williams's novella "The Heart of What Was Lost" (as a lead-up to his new trilogy) and The Two Towers (because LOTR is comfort food). I don't usually load up too much on fantasy these days but it's generally fun stuff. I tend to read a decent mix of fancypants literature and fantasy - I'm gonna try to aim for a few more nonfiction books this year as well, because my fiction habit is somewhat obsessive.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Also, somebody sling me a wildcard! Preferably written by an author of colour, since I need to expand those horizons.

Black Boy by Richard Wright

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
I'm in for 80 books again, Booklord Challenge again. I finished the last one at about 5 minutes to midnight on NYE because I neglected musicians, so hopefully I'll be better this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Radio! posted:

I'm in the middle of two books right now, but I think the one I'm gonna finish first is Judy Melinek's Working Stiff, which is just a medical examiner talking about her years working for city of New York. It's a nice balance of her talking about what actually goes on in her job re: figuring out cause of death and helping solve the occasional homicide and her just recounting the gnarliest corpses she encountered. It rules.

Awww boo, I was going to get that recently in a sale but was busy over the holidays and forgot.

• Locked thread