Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
I absolutely failed to meet my target last year. First time in a few years I hadn't made it, so I though and aim again for 25 books. At least 10 I need to own already and have not read (I have a terrible habit of buying books and never reading them). I've also really got into using my Kindle and Audible account together and using Whispersync, anyone else having fun with this?

I'm not going to commit to doing Booklord, but I'm going to see how far I get as I go through the year. Changed my mind, I'm going at attempt it.

My Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10984480-edward

What I'm reading:
1. The Three-Body Problem - Liu Cixin
2. Fool Moon (Dresden Files No.2) - Jim Butcher
3. The Path to Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson No.1) - Robert Caro
4. Sourcery (Discworld No.5) - Terry Pratchett
5. The Honourable Schoolboy - John le Carré I've been reading this for ages, it's very long and heavy going - think I may get the audiobook so I can whispersync

potatocubed posted:

Don't mind me, just stealing your system.
I stole it too.

1) Read some books. Set a number and go hog wild. 0/25
1a) Read 10 books that I owned before August 2016 0/10
2) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 0/5
3) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 0/5
4) Read at least one book by an LGBT author.
5) Read at least one TBB BoTM and post in the monthly thread about it.
6) Read a book someone else in the thread recommends (a wildcard!)
7) Read something that was recently published (anything from after 1st January 2016).
8) Read something which was published before you were born.
9) Read something in translation.
10) Read something from somewhere you want to travel.
11) Read something political.
12) Read something historical.
12a) Read something about the First World War.
13) Read something biographical.
14) Read some poetry.
15) Read a play.
16) Read a collection of short stories.
17) Read something long (500+ pages).
18) Read something which was banned or censored.
19) Read a satire.
20) Read something about honour.
21) Read something about fear.
22) Read something about one (or more!) of the seven sins.
23) Read something that you love.
24) Read something from a non-human perspective.

If someone could hit me with a wildcard too that would be great!

Mollsmolyneux fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord

Sandwolf posted:

Someone could make a 2017 TBB Challenge page on GoodReads!

Done! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/18437849-goon-reads-2017---can-we-keep-talking-for-more-than-a-week

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord
January update:

1. The Dresden Files #2 - Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
I enjoyed this book, but it certainly isn't as good as the first. All the references to different types of werewolves certainly don't add a lot to the story other than making it confusing to work out which characters are what. The villain's final scheme is a bit convoluted, but it is a fantasy book.

2. The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin
Very good, but a little heavy towards the end. Very technical in the last few chapters. The first two parts of the books as the mystery of "Three-Body" is unravelled and great. The history of the Red Coast in the political atmosphere of the Cultural Revolution was also fascinating, especially as I know very little about Chinese history. Will definitely be picking up the other two at some point.

1) Read some books. Set a number and go hog wild. 2/25
1a) Read 10 books that I owned before August 2016 0/10
2) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. 0/5
3) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 1/5
7) Read something that was recently published (anything from after 1st January 2016).
8) Read something which was published before you were born.
9) Read something in translation. Three-Body Problem
14) Read some poetry.
15) Read a play.
19) Read a satire.
21) Read something about fear.
22) Read something about one (or more!) of the seven sins. The Dresden Files - Fool Moon about wrath/anger

Book Barn Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2686-book-barn-goons?ref=nav_bar_discussions_pane_group

Mollsmolyneux fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 3, 2017

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord
February update:

3. The Honourable Schoolboy - John le Carré

Certainly not as good as Tinker, Tailor, but overall a good novel filled with intrigue and tension, whilst also been fairly realistic and believable. I think my opinion of this book is slightly tainted as I'd tried to start it so many times before I finally managed to finish it.

4. Cold - John Sweeney
Enjoyable book, but a little farfetched. I'm a big fan of John Sweeney and it's great to see the stuff he's learnt throughout his years of journalism in the book, although some of it feels a little crowbarred in. Perhaps if I wasn't so familiar with his journalism I wouldn't have felt like that. Also, don't write anymore sex scenes John, they're not your forté.

Currently Reading
5. The Salt Roads - Nalo Hopkinson
If anyone is looking for books by non-white authors then The Salt Roads is a great little fantasy novel. An ancient god is summoned to earth and lives her life through several different people across time. Also good history, especially if you know nothing about the Haitian revolution.

Also read this year:

1. The Dresden Files #2 - Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
2. The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

1) Read some books. Set a number and go hog wild. 4/25
1a) Read 10 books that I owned before August 2016 1/10
3) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. 1/5
8) Read something which was published before you were born. The Honourable Schoolboy - John le Carré
9) Read something in translation. Three-Body Problem
14) Read some poetry.
15) Read a play.
19) Read a satire.
21) Read something about fear. Cold - John Sweeney
22) Read something about one (or more!) of the seven sins. The Dresden Files - Fool Moon about wrath/anger

If anyone's interested we've resurrected the Book Barn Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2686-book-barn-goons?ref=nav_bar_discussions_pane_group

• Locked thread