Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I am not doing to book lord challenge this year because, well, I was the book lord last year (and a very lovely one at that). However I do plan on reading 30 books as usual and also reading 13 Indiespensable books. Indiespensable is a program by Powell's out of Portland where every six weeks or so they send you a new book. There's always goodies included and sometimes it's a ARC book, which is just awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

USMC_Karl posted:

So wait, this is a subscription service that costs $40 (+$10 for international folks) per shipment and sends you a book once every month and a half or so? That actually sounds pretty fun. I'm guessing you are a current subscriber, would you recommend it for a person living outside of the US? I normally don't balk at spending money, but is a little beyond my impulse purchase range.

I've been doing it for two years now and it's a great program. The books are hit or miss. I have 20 of them and read seven of them. Out of those seven, I would say that I've enjoyed four of them, was not crazy about two of them, and was disappointed by one (City on Fire, which was very overhyped and confusing as poo poo.) Its 39.95 +12 for you, so you're looking at 51.95 for it, but if you don't like the program, you can unsubscribe at any time. The preview books and other books that they throw in all the time are pretty awesome. I got John Darnielle's next book in press packageing, which was an old VHS box, in one two books ago. I can give you a list of all the ones that I have and what my ratings were if you like. The Strand out of NYC also does one as well. I'm doing the YA one from them for $30 and yes I would recomend it for someone. Where are you located BTW?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

tookie posted:

Would love to participate. 60 books + the booklord challenge.

I completed it last year, but was terrible about posting. Hopefully I can do better in 2017!

My goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/638608-kate

Well poo poo... I found the female me reading wise. I forgot to mention that I was a goon in the message.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
January!

1) Wolf Winter - Cecilia Ekbäck

2) American Girls - Allison Umminger

3) Fate and Furries - Lauren Groff

4) M Train - Patti Smith

5) The Rap Year Book - Shea Serrano

6) Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink - Elvis Costello

The first six where very good. Two memoirs by musicians, I preferred Costello's to Smith's, one YA novel that somehow got the Manson Murders involved (Don't ask), a great book to settle your Pac vs Biggie arguments, a somewhat interesting critically acclaimed novel for 2015 and the first indiespensable novel of the year.

6/30

1/13

Currently reading: Our Endless Number Days by Claire Fuller and My Heart is an Idiot by Davy Rothbart

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

screenwritersblues posted:

Currently reading: Our Endless Number Days by Claire Fuller and My Heart is an Idiot by Davy Rothbart

Son of a... I got so busy that I forgot to post since February. I fell like an rear end.

Feb to May

7) Our Endless Number Days - Claire Fuller

8) My Heart is an Idiot - Davy Rothbart

9) Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

10) Love fore Sale: Pop Music in America - David Hajdu

11) How to Party with an Infant - Kaui Hart Hemmings

12) TV: The Book - Alan Sepinwell

13) The Godfather - Mario Puzo

14) South and West - Joan Didion

15) The Diver's Clothes Lie Empty - Vendela Vida

16) Above the Waterfall - Ron Rash

17) Binary Star - Sarah Gerard

18) The Kids of Appetite- David Arnold

19) The Sellout -Paul Beatty

20) String Theory - David Foster Wallace

21) Don't Look Now - Daphne Du Maurier

22) Best Boy - Eli Gottleib

23) The Boy Who Went Away- Eli Gottleib

24) The First Collection of Rock Criticism by a Living Female Rock Critic - Jessica Hooper

24/30

6/13

• Locked thread