Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

"Can I get a fun wild card?"
"IN SEARCH OF LOST TIME BY PROUST. ALL OF IT."

that's a perfectly reasonable thing to read in a year, as are any of the chinese classics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nefarias bredd posted:

I sucked at posting last year (and generally) but I completed the Booklord Challenge and had a lot of fun doing it. So I'm in for 125+ books this year plus the Booklord Challenge again! My other challenge will be to actually update.

Someone wildcard me?

Two Thousand Seasons, by Ayi Kwei Armah.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

some university libraries might have it if you have access to those, check worldcat maybe

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nefarias bredd posted:

Unfortunately no :( nearest library that has it is 40 miles away and it's for reference only. I think I might need another pick.

You can get it direct from the african publishers here for like 16.00(US i think), iirc the store is based in the US so shipping maybe isn't terrible http://stores.bbkwan.com/two-thousand-seasons-by-ayi-kwei-armah/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I still need a wildcard too, please.

Rural Rides, by William Cobbet.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

apophenium posted:

Does anyone have some recommendations for me to pick from as far as WWI books go?

Storm of Steel

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Radio! posted:

Have you read The Book Thief? It's from the perspective of Death.

Someone wildcard me now please.

Sir Thomas Browne's Hydriotaphia, urn burial : with an account of some urns found at Brampton in Norfolk

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

Feel free to ignore this guy and get an actual wildcard btw

Is there a problem

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

I just glanced at the title and assumed it was another 'read this thing that's out of print and costs $50' suggestion, if not then no bother.

You don't know anything about books so I'm not sure why you're in charge of this thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

lets all get really hype about the nordic model of social democracy and ignore that it is A. being eroded. B. only sustains itself by massive exploitation of the third world, everyone.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Go herd a sheep about it, all black hobbit

i will

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

In the meantime, someone please wildcard me.

The Compleat Angler, by Izaak Walton

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

Do you know something about literature, though.

That wasn't a requirement this year so I don't see why it would hurt his chances if he doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Groke posted:

Is that thing even available to read in any useful format?

iirc even Darger scholars haven't read the whole thing cover to cover because it's like 15,000 pages long, and I think they study it based on the original manuscript. There's also his autobiography

quote:

In 1968, Darger became interested in tracing some of his frustrations back to his childhood and began writing The History of My Life. Spanning eight volumes, the book only spends 206 pages detailing Darger's early life before veering off into 4,672 pages of fiction about a huge twister called "Sweetie Pie", probably based on memories of a tornado he had witnessed in 1908.

• Locked thread