Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bandiet posted:

No vanilla number for me, that felt silly this year and I am comfortable with the amount of books I read. But I will do the rest of the booklord challenge.

Yeah this is my exact sentiment, I pushed myself to break my record this year (read more than 80) but I want to reserve the option to take it slow and switch it up at points. I will definitely read well over 60 so I can put that as a goal but it seems perfunctory at that point:

Name: Guy A. Person
Number: whatever
Book Lord: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lots of cool wild cards on this page, someone wild card me too

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I started this year by cycling through a bunch of the "Best American" series from 2015; specifically short stories, essays, science & nature, nonrequired and scifi/fantasy. I find them slightly better than hit and miss but I find the gems to be worth the cost and can always just start skimming if an entry is boring me.

Also since they're collections I was thinking about how to apply the percentage challenges to them. On the plus side they're really good about having approx 50% women contributors but not as great about non-white contributors (only about 16% of the total entries by my calculation) so I am going to count the 5 books as "1" for purposes of books by women and "1/2" for purposes of books by non-white authors (so if I read 3 in my next ten it will equal out).

I haven't really been paying much attention to the challenge proper outside of that because I had a bunch of leftover library holds or things on my shelf, but I am going to start focusing at the beginning of next month.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Late on my January update as usual but got a decent amount read through first week of Feb (and about to finish another book tonight)

1. The Best American Short Stories 2015
2. The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2015
3. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2015
4. The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015
5. The Best American Essays 2015
6. Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
7. The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson
8. Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David Eagleman
9. Shifu You'll Do Anything for a Laugh by Mo Yan
10. Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil
11. Every Day is for the Thief by Teju Cole
12. The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville
13. Aquarium by David Vann

A little light on non-white authors so far but I have some coming up. Everyone here should read Aquarium if they haven't already. And Mo Yan for that matter. Oh also someone should read My Name is Red for non-human perspective, even though it's not on my list here.

Challenge status:

2. 23%
3. 19%
5. Read Mother Night and also reading The Plague this month so I might be able to keep this up all year
7. Dream Quest of Vellitt Boe fills this but honestly I will probably be getting some books that come out in '17 including the new Arundhati Roy
9. Shifu You'll Do Anything for a Laugh

There's probably more but I have to give them more proper thought!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I really like Sum, but some of the ideas were a little heavy. What'd you think?

It was interesting; not exactly what I thought it'd be or in many cases what was advertised. Usually just science-philosophy brain teasers more than anything. Some ideas were really compelling and could have used longer stories, others were obvious filler or repeats. A bunch of them ended with the typical moral of "hey you don't want to live for eternity anyway right?" But it was fun and light (for weird philosophical short stories about death that is).

I read his book Incognito a while back and I liked that considerably better.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nerdpony posted:

NYPL posted this list of 365 books by women today; maybe it will be a good source of recommendations for books by women (and authors of color, for that matter) for some of you!

Wow that is straight up a list of 365 books in a row. I think it would have probably been better to do 100 or even just 50 with an actual short review/summary tho?

But still thanks for posting, there are definitely some good books on here and it reminded me of some I wanted to read (specifically the New Jim Crow)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

The Peregrine by J. A. Baker

Hey I just read this. It was cool, thanks for the suggestion.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Haven't updated in a long time, but I just finished my 100th book of the year tonight. Pretty proud, first time I've ever done that. And I still have 2 months left :pwn:

Also I think I finished the book lord challenge but I lost track, I should be pretty close regardless. Will post a more in depth update later in the week.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

On which note, someone needs to step forward to run the 2018 thread.

I was gonna ask if anyone has volunteered yet. I would be interested.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

USMC_Karl posted:

You're up, I'll totally take part but am not confident in my ability to make a fun challenge.

I've had some ideas kicking around in my head for some (hopefully) fun variants. I have been getting my rear end kicked at worked lately but I have the week between Christmas and New Years off, so I'll have time to write something up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Do you know something about literature, though.

I know at least/most one thing

A human heart posted:

That wasn't a requirement this year so I don't see why it would hurt his chances if he doesn't

By all means go for it, I'm not married to the idea

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

I basically gave up on the challenge when I realized, after several abandoned starts, that I was never going to read my enormous 2500 page wildcard. I will play again next year though it might be good to have some guidelines around that stuff, like maybe you can only recommend a wildcard if you're actually doing the challenge.

Next year read The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What Is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion by Henry J. Darger

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yours truly

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Probably not going to finish anymore in the next few days, so going to post my final tally. I shattered my previous records by a lot, and while I did have some shorter plays and poetry in there I had a lot of larger books too:

1. The Best American Short Stories 2015
2. The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2015
3. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2015
4. The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015
5. The Best American Essays 2015
6. Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
7. The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson
8. Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David Eagleman
9. Shifu You'll Do Anything for a Laugh by Mo Yan
10. Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil
11. Every Day is for the Thief by Teju Cole
12. The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville
13. Aquarium by David Vann
14. Decreation: Poetry, Essays, Opera by Anne Carson
15. Citizen: An American Lyric by Claudia Rankine
16. The Plague by Albert Camus
17. Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi
18. Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
19. The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
20. David Lynch: The Man from Another Place by Dennis Lim
21. Oblivion by David Foster Wallace
22. I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Ed Yong
23. The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
24. Marcovaldo, or The Seasons in the City by Italo Calvino
25. The Tempest by William Shakespeare
26. The Obscene Bird of Night by Jose Donoso
27. White Teeth by Zadie Smith
28. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
29. The Idiot Brain: A Neuroscientist Explains What Your Head Is Really Up To by Dean Burnett
30. The Odyssey
31. Vertical Motion by Can Xue
32. To Live by Yu Hua
33. Serve the People by Yan Lianke
34. The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
35. Five Spice Street by Can Xue
36. The Wes Letters by Ben Segal, Brett Zehner, and Feliz Lucia Molina
37. Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
38. But What If We're Wrong?: Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past by Chuck Klosterman
39. Absolutely on Music: Conversations by Haruki Murakami
40. The Best American Short Stories 2016
41. The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2016
42. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2016
43. The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2016
44. The Best American Essays 2016
45. The Fire This Time by Jesmyn Ward
46. Eight Skilled Gentlemen by Barry Hughart
47. Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History by David Aaronovitch
48. Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney
49. Difficult Women by Roxane Gay
50. This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society by Kathleen McAuliffe
51. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
52. The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley
53. Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges
54. Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
55. Chuck Klosterman X: A Highly Specific, Defiantly Incomplete History of the Early 21st Century by Chuck Klosterman
56. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
57. The Envoy by Edward Wilson
58. How to Be Both by Ali Smith
59. The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
60. The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
61. The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy
62. Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami
63. Alice in Quantumland by Robert Gilmore
64. The Ruined Map by Kobo Abe
65. Glass, Irony and God by Anne Carson
66. Frontier by Can Xue
67. Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein
68. Patriotism by Yukio Mishima
69. Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood
70. The Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku
71. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
72. The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier
73. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
74. Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier by Neil deGrasse Tyson
75. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
76. White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
77. The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber
78. The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston
79. Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking by David Bayles and Ted Orland
80. Oyster by Janette Turner Hospital
81. Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
82. Think Like a Programmer: An Introduction to Creative Problem Solving by V. Anton Spraul
83. Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer
84. Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
85. Terror in the Name of God: Why Religious Militants Kill by Jessica Stern
86. Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle
87. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
88. What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi
89. It by Inger Christensen
90. Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright
91. Never Any End to Paris by Enrique Vila-Matas
92. What Should We Be Worried About?: Real Scenarios That Keep Scientists Up at Night by John Brockman
93. A Delusion Of Satan: The Full Story Of The Salem Witch Trials by Frances Hill
94. Song of the Shank by Jeffery Renard Allen
95. The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro
96. Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History by Ben Mezrich
97. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
98. The Sellout by Paul Beatty
99. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
100. The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel) by Macedonio Fernández
101. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
102. Tenth of December: Stories by George Saunders
103. In Parenthesis by David Jones
104. The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World by Steven Johnson
105. My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki
106. The Monster of Florence: A True Story by Douglas Presten and Mario Spezi

1) Read some books. Set a number and go hog wild. - should have said 100 but I didn't believe in myself
2) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. - 36/106 = 34%
3) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white. - 35/106 = 33%
4) Read at least one book by an LGBT author. - Ali Smith
5) Read at least one TBB BoTM and post in the monthly thread about it. - The Plague, Salt, Ficciones, Blackwater
6) Read a book someone else in the thread recommends (a wildcard!) - The Peregrine
7) Read something that was recently published - Ministry of Utmost Happiness
8) Read something which was published before you were born. - The Odyssey
9) Read something in translation. - The Obscene Bird of Night
10) Read something from somewhere you want to travel. - Picnic at Hanging Rock and Oyster (Australia)
11) Read something political. - The New Jim Crow
12) Read something historical. - Salt: A World History
12a) Read something about the First World War. - A Farewell to Arms
13) Read something biographical. - David Lynch biography
14) Read some poetry. - Anne Carson
15) Read a play. - Waiting for Godot
16) Read a collection of short stories. - a couple, including Best American Short Stories 2015/16
17) Read something long (500+ pages). - A Little Life
18) Read something which was banned or censored. - Serve the People
19) Read a satire. - Five Spice Street
20) Read something about honour. - Where Men Win Glory
21) Read something about fear. - Art and Fear and Hex
22) Read something about one (or more!) of the seven sins. - My Year of Meats (gluttony)
23) Read something that you love. - Oblivion by DFW
24) Read something from a non-human perspective. - White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi

A few of the challenges I probably did a few times over but just marked them off as I did them and don't want to comb back through. Too much to go over in one post (should probably post more frequently next year) but want to highlight Helen Oyeyemi and Can Xue as two authors I fell in love with this year. Also really enjoyed Aquarium and Lincoln in the Bardo which got a ton of buzz around some other threads. And a bunch of other books were ones I noted from following the "Quit (being a/loving a) child and read some real literature" thread, although I didn't note down who recommended them so if you see a book you recommended on my list thank yourself for me. Also Count of Monte Cristo and Lolita from the SHAMEFUL thread. So basically a really fuckin good year of reading largely thanks to the Book Barn.

---

On another note, I have been drafting a list of challenges and guidelines for the next thread and hope to have that posted in the next few days, NYE eve (12/30) at the latest. Hope to see a bunch of you back next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Just posted the new thread for people to sign up and start planning strategies.

• Locked thread