Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think I'll do like Bandiet in 2017. I won't set a number, but I'll do the booklord challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im still working my way through gravity's rainbow from last year and haven't decided what my first new book should be yet. Hamsun Bernhard or The Royal Game by Zweig probably.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

apophenium posted:

Does anyone have some recommendations for me to pick from as far as WWI books go?

I belive a farewell to arms is about wwi

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hello 2017. First update of the year

1) Read some books: 4/??
2) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women.
3) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white.
4) Read at least one book by an LGBT author.
5) Read at least one TBB BoTM and post in the monthly thread about it.
6) Read a book someone else in the thread recommends (a wildcard!)
7) Read something that was recently published (anything from after 1st January 2016).
8) Read something which was published before you were born. - most of them, but I'll go with The Sound and the Fury here
9) Read something in translation. - The Royal Game
10) Read something from somewhere you want to travel.
11) Read something political.
12) Read something historical.
12a) Read something about the First World War.
13) Read something biographical.
14) Read some poetry.
15) Read a play.
16) Read a collection of short stories.
17) Read something long (500+ pages). - Gravity's Rainbow
18) Read something which was banned or censored.
19) Read a satire.
20) Read something about honour.
21) Read something about fear.
22) Read something about one (or more!) of the seven sins.
23) Read something that you love.
24) Read something from a non-human perspective.

1. Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
2. The Fall of the Stone City, Ismail Kadare
3. The Royal Game, Stefan Zweig
4. The Sound and The Fury, William Faulkner

off to a good start this year. I'm not going to pretend to understand half of Gravity's Rainbow, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I loved how full of intertextuality this book was, ranging from Homer's classic plays to burlesque, as well as speculative linguistics. Guess I have to reread it in the future, cause the structure just screams "repeated readings". The same could also be said of The Sound and The Fury. My favourite chapter is the second following Quentin. I put Ismail Kadare on the backburner a bit last year after a dull first chapter, but picked it up again after finishing Gravity's and all in all I really loved the novel. If this is one of his weaker (according to a goon from the babyfucker thread) then I'm eager to read some of his better ones.

somebody wildcard me, please. If you've got something for challenge no. 24 (I've already read The Elephant's Journey, mind) or an LGBQT author, that would be swell.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Safety Biscuits posted:

What do you mean by speculative linguistics? It's been so long since I've read it that I've no idea what you're talking about.

speculative might not be the correct phrasing, but around the midpoint Pynchon goes on for several pages discussing phonetics in a bunch of languages (some of which I believe are fictional) and a grapheme. reminded me of Borges tbh

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

actually Norway's model sustains itself on the exploitation of the whole planet (crude oil), thank you very much :colbert:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

real busy month, not as much reading done as in February.

1) Read some books: 6/??
2) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women.
3) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by someone non-white.
7) Read something that was recently published (anything from after 1st January 2016).
8) Read something which was published before you were born. - most of them, but I'll go with The Sound and the Fury here
11) Read something political. - The Fox Was Ever The Hunter
14) Read some poetry.
15) Read a play.
19) Read a satire.
21) Read something about fear. - The Class

5. The Class, Hermann Ungar
6. The Fox Was Ever the Hunter

The Class was really good. its about Josef Blau, a paranoid school teacher in a Czech village. he himself is from a poor background, but teaches rich kids at a private high school, and is constantly feeling insecure and lesser than his pupils because of it. he develops a need for absolute control, and eventually this blend of compulsion and paranoia seeps into his personal life as well. The Fox is about the end of the Ceausescu regime. It starts off rather lighthearted with detailed and almost fairytale like descriptions of every minutiae, but eventually drags you in to the reality of the totalitarian regime.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 27, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a little better than february, imo

1) Read some books: 10/??
12) Read something historical. - Human Acts
14) Read some poetry.
15) Read a play. - Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead
19) Read a satire.
22) Read something about one (or more!) of the seven sins. - Cain

6. The Fox Was Ever the Hunter
7. Human Acts, Han Kang
8. Cain, José Saramago
9. Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead
a book consisting of the two essays Télémorphose og La pensée radicale, Jean Baudrillard

first off. I read The Vegetarian last year and thought it was okay, so I gave Human Acts a chance when I saw it at a book shop last month. The theme and subject - Gwangju uprising - was a pretty good premise. its sort of an anthology of sorts, where each chapter is a different POV from people who were involved in and arrested by the military during the events. while you got a good look into how people were treated, I felt the prose and flow of the book was a bit ... I wouldn't say purple prose, but it did keep hitting you over the head with the message. I don't know if this is because of the translation or what, but it felt rather underwhelming, tbh. Cain was pretty funny and good also, rewriting the events of the old testament as a new, satirical sort of fiction, he tries to explore where and how Cain travelled the world after he killed his brother Abel. Rosencrantz was gifted to me during the secret santa last year, I had never read it before and it was pretty funny. it reminded me of Waiting for Godot in a way, with the way Ros and Guil interacted with eachother. I loved the way it established a connection with the main story by Shakespeare.

currently reading A Regicide by Alain Robbe-Grillet

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 31, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

better late than never

1) Read some books: 16/??
4) Read at least one book by an LGBT author. - Arthur Rimbaud
5) Read at least one TBB BoTM and post in the monthly thread about it. - Conference of the Birds
7) Read something that was recently published (anything from after 1st January 2016). - Human Acts
10) Read something from somewhere you want to travel. - Human Acts, Apology
12) Read something historical. - Human Acts
14) Read some poetry. - Rimbaud, Conference of the Birds (also currently reading a collection of Yeats' works)
15) Read a play. - Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead
19) Read a satire. - Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead
20) Read something about honour. - Apology here because why not
22) Read something about one (or more!) of the seven sins. - Cain
24) Read something from a non-human perspective. - Conference of the Birds

6. The Fox Was Ever the Hunter, Herta Müller
7. Human Acts, Han Kang
8. Cain, José Saramago
9. Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead, Tom Stoppard
10. a book consisting of the two essays Télémorphose og La pensée radicale, Jean Baudrillard
11. A Regicide, Alain Robbe-Grillet
12. Satantango, Laszlo Krasznahorkai
13. Tractatus logico-philosophicus, Ludwig Wittgenstein
14. Conference of the Birds, Farid ud-Din Attar
15. Complete Works, Arthur Rimbaud
16. Apology, Plato

A Regicide was an interesting novel. Not too strong of a nuevau roman-vibe to it, though I've heard it's something he develops further on into his body of works. It's about a bloke who suddenly decided that somebody needs to assassinate the king to attempt to fix the political situation where the Church party has too much power. There's also a parallell story where we follow the protagonist's dream. It's interesting how he changes the narrative perspective, from 3rd person during the "main" story and 1st person for the dream sequences. Tractatus was rather difficult, I'll admit, since I've barely touched formal logic in any way. The sections I could follow clearly was interesting enough. Excited to read Investigations at a later point in time, since I assume that's where the majority of the references to him within linguistics points towards. Conference of the Birds was pretty funny in certain parts, the way the Hoopoe tore apart the other birds' vices and all. As for Rimbaud, I was a bit surprised by how much he wrote about farts, butts and sex. Though considering he was a teenager for most of his active time, that's not too surprising either. A Season in Hell is pretty drat good, however. Reading Tractatus at the start of may reignited my interest in philosophy, so I gave the Apology another read again (been a while since last time). I'd say parts of the themes of Socrates' trial resonated somewhat, since blasphemy was only officially legalised in my country in 2015 (the law had been dormant since the early 1930's, but the life of brian was initially banned when it was first released). I figure I'll read the nicomachean ethics next

ulvir fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I haven't updated in like forever

1) Read some books: 31/??
2) Of the books you read this year, make sure at least 20% of them are written by women. failed
6) Read a book someone else in the thread recommends (a wildcard!) failed
8) Read something which was published before you were born.
9) Read something in translation.
11) Read something political.
12a) Read something about the First World War. failed
14) Read some poetry.
15) Read a play.
17) Read something long (500+ pages).
18) Read something which was banned or censored. Failed: don't think anything I read was banned or censored
19) Read a satire.
21) Read something about fear.

6. The Fox Was Ever the Hunter, Herta Müller
7. Human Acts, Han Kang
8. Cain, José Saramago
9. Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead, Tom Stoppard
10. a book consisting of the two essays Télémorphose og La pensée radicale, Jean Baudrillard
11. A Regicide, Alain Robbe-Grillet
12. Satantango, Laszlo Krasznahorkai
13. Tractatus logico-philosophicus, Ludwig Wittgenstein
14. Conference of the Birds, Farid ud-Din Attar
15. Complete Works, Arthur Rimbaud
16. Apology, Plato
17. Flight of Icarus, Raymond Queneau
18. Sphinx, Anne Garréta
19. Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle
20. Og du dør så langsomt at du tror du lever, Bertrand Besigye
(I bought this at a recommendation from someone. It was absolutely terrible and represented everything that's bad about Norwegian poetry in the 90s)
21. Livshus, Halldis Moren Vesaas
22. Symposium, Plato
23. Phaedrus, Plato
24. Selected Poems, Langston Hughes
25. The Red-Haired Woman, Orhan Pamuk
26. Crito & Phaedo, Plato
27. Oreo, Fran Ross
28. The Collected Poems, W. B. Yeats
29. Selected Poems, T. S. Eliot
30. Collected Stories, Isaac Bashevis Singer
31. Poesiar etter Henrik Wergeland, Jon Fosse

depending on the categories next year I might or might not attend.

I also prefer reading without having to keep a specific number in mind like I did this year, and before I jumped on these threads a year or two ago, so I won't ever bother setting a numbered goal again, in any case

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 14, 2017

• Locked thread