Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
Name: Siminu
Number: 40
Booklord: Hellsyeah

I beat the challenge easily last year, but fell off the wagon when work picked up in the last few months. I only hit 43 of my 52 goal.

In personal exchange for lowering my number I'm challenging myself to actually post in the goddamn thread with some regularity. I'm aiming for an update a month, a task everyone else seems to find trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
post in the goddamn thread with some regularity: 1/12

1. Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente was beautiful and bleak. As a communist, wartime re-telling of Russian folklore, this is fitting. I'm going to read more of her books, because her prose is wonderful in it's vivid smoothness.

2 (Poetry, or Maybe Translated). The Rubaiyat by Omar Khayyam, Edward Fitzgerald translation, was very good. I found it surprisingly fun and encouraging at it's shallowest level. I'm sure much of the deeper interpretation I took away is a result of the translation, and am going to have to dig up some other versions to see how the symbolism shifts.

3(Historical?). The Last Days of New Paris by China Miéville was pretty weird, and ended up totally batshit. I expected this, and liked it a lot. I'm sure I lack the background education in surrealist art to fully pick up what the author was putting down.

• Locked thread