Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What awesome books did you get (or give) for Christmas? Someone brought up the question in another forum, and I thought that I'd post a thread here.

I got a lot of great books for Christmas: VALIS, The Country of the Pointed Firs, the University of California's edition of Huckleberry Finn, Marian Schwartz's new translation of Anna Karenina, and Ulillillia's incomparable The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters. I got a Barnes & Noble gift card too, which I spent on Kafka on the Shore today.

I also gave out Wolf in White Van, Fields of Fire, and High Fidelity to my family, and I gave Storming the Reality Studio and The Throne of Bones to a particularly goony friend.

This was a really good Christmas for me, and I hope it was for everyone else here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Safety Biscuits posted:

What's the new Anna Karenina like?
Excellent. I loved Schwartz's translation of A Hero of Our Time, and when I learned that she had done Anna Karenina, I bought it sight-unseen last month as a birthday present for my sister (who had asked for the book but not specified a translation). After reading a bit from her copy, I knew that I wanted it myself for Christmas.

It's fairly similar to the David Magarshack translation, which was my previous favorite, but it retains a lot of specific phrasing that Magarshack streamlined, and there are many little differences in individual word choice. It's more faithful without being excessively so (like David MacDuff's scrupulous but labored Dostoyevsky translations). A nice touch is that it preserves the gender of female characters' surnames, which I wish more Russian translations would do.

StrixNebulosa posted:

VALIS is cool, but it also hits you like a ton of bricks and I had to stop reading it due to it mixing badly with my depression at the time. I'd like to return to it, someday, as it's really something incredible - the scene with the therapist still lingers after months. I hope you enjoy it!
I've been looking forward to it for too long. I have a feeing that it'll turn out to be my favorite PKD, since, short of The Exegesis, it's the book most driven by what made him such a fascinating figure in his later life.

• Locked thread