Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i don't like erased but it's a more satisfying drama than kiznaiver so i'll accept it
ive taken dumps that were more satisfying dramas than kiznaiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

ive taken dumps that were more satisfying dramas than kiznaiver

hello, creator of his and her circumstances

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

If you like the following, we can be friends. If not, this whole “graphing similar tastes based on the ranking of a single year” thing is a sham!
  • Chihayafuru
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • His and Her Circumstances
  • Lovely Complex
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • My Love Story!!
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Paranoia Agent
  • Patlabor
  • Planetes
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
  • Tonari no Seki-kun
  • Urusei Yatsura
  • You’re Under Arrest!

Give me Lovely Complex back. I haven't found a good romance/drama series in years and have given up looking since all of them now are "most popular/smart/beautiful chick in school is stuck up but me, the Normal McNormal boy, found out her embarrassing secret of [nerdy hobby] and while she rails about killing me if I ever tell anyone, bonds with me over enjoying [nerdy hobby] together secretly and eventually develops feelings for me even though no one would ever think we'd be a couple!"

And if that's not the case, it's impossible to find one that isn't overtly F-F-F-FIRST K-K-K-KISSU??! where they pussyfoot around for 52 episodes until they hold hands for the first time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willsun posted:

Give me Lovely Complex back. I haven't found a good romance/drama series in years and have given up looking since all of them now are "most popular/smart/beautiful chick in school is stuck up but me, the Normal McNormal boy, found out her embarrassing secret of [nerdy hobby] and while she rails about killing me if I ever tell anyone, bonds with me over enjoying [nerdy hobby] together secretly and eventually develops feelings for me even though no one would ever think we'd be a couple!"

And if that's not the case, it's impossible to find one that isn't overtly F-F-F-FIRST K-K-K-KISSU??! where they pussyfoot around for 52 episodes until they hold hands for the first time.

my love story aired, like, two years ago dude. it's a romance anime entirely about a big buff dude and his awkward but steady relationship with a girl from another school

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Willsun posted:

there's like 1 anime with this premise

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm convinced Grouchio made that post now

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

To be fair I guess anime isn't the right place to look for what I want in a romance/drama series anymore because all the things I don't want would happen in a Japanese high school setting and that's pretty much where they all take place.

I just wish there was another Honey and Clover where people are at least college-aged and there's more going on in their lives besides "homework and other than that we can just screw around." Speaking of Honey and Clover, how close is March Comes in Like a Lion to Honey and Clover other than that it's drawn/written by the same lady? Everyone's saying good things about it in here and I'm curious how it measures up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willsun posted:

To be fair I guess anime isn't the right place to look for what I want in a romance/drama series anymore because all the things I don't want would happen in a Japanese high school setting and that's pretty much where they all take place.

i just told you about a show in a japanese high school setting that has all of the things you're asking for!!!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Willsun posted:

I just wish there was another Honey and Clover where people are at least college-aged and there's more going on in their lives besides "homework and other than that we can just screw around." Speaking of Honey and Clover, how close is March Comes in Like a Lion to Honey and Clover other than that it's drawn/written by the same lady? Everyone's saying good things about it in here and I'm curious how it measures up.

You should read Bonnouji. This is both an answer to your specific problem and good advice for anyone, at any point in their life.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Willsun posted:

its better but not really the same kinda show

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i just told you about a show in a japanese high school setting that has all of the things you're asking for!!!!

It abuses exclamation points in its title. Automatically disqualified and will never be touched by me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willsun posted:

It abuses exclamation points in its title. Automatically disqualified and will never be touched by me.

????????????????

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Like half the good shows of 2016 are disqualified for you lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
so uh, honestly, wtf is gonna happen with the adtrwiki now the thread for it is in archives, the capcha for account generation is broken and presumably whoever managed it is long gone

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

The Colonel posted:

so uh, honestly, wtf is gonna happen with the adtrwiki now the thread for it is in archives, the capcha for account generation is broken and presumably whoever managed it is long gone

start the vegetawiki

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Willsun posted:

Speaking of Honey and Clover, how close is March Comes in Like a Lion to Honey and Clover other than that it's drawn/written by the same lady? Everyone's saying good things about it in here and I'm curious how it measures up.

March Comes in Like a Lion is a wonderful character drama (plus Shogi) and I love it dearly, but it's not a romance if that's what you're looking for.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Death

Also the person some posts above me should watch oreimo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

March Comes in Like a Lion is a wonderful character drama (plus Shogi) and I love it dearly, but it's not a romance if that's what you're looking for.

well there is romance, its just not the main focus

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I really like that they didn't learn their lesson from having to put a disclaimer on the voting page, and give away the mystery to their mystery show in the results page, too, again with no disclaimer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Willsun posted:

I liked H&C a lot when it first came out, and it has been a long time since I watched it so for all I know it's better (or worse) than I am remembering, and of course March comes in like a Lion being so much more recent might be biasing me a bit, but I'd say Lion is a lot better than H&C. The character drama is so intense, so personal, so heartfelt. It doesn't try to dance around the myriad of issues the cast has and shows how they do (or do not) grow from their many mistakes and triumphs in a very organic manner. There is so sudden epiphany episode/chapter where they "get it" and "get better/over it", it's a slow progression that feels very real and so much more satisfying when you see them overcoming obstacles that made them fall earlier.

If it qualified March comes in like a Lion would be my #1 for 2016 easily, at least.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Mob Psycho 100 and JoJo getting snubbed on animation, OP, and ED awards is a crime

As is Reigen getting snubbed on his Best Boy nomination

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Congratulations, Deku

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Re: Honey and Clover

https://twitter.com/aoki818/status/819148292734865409?s=09

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

As is Reigen getting snubbed on his Best Boy nomination

Anything that would put any person, living or fictional, above Reigen Arataka on a best boy list is objectively wrong.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm glad reigen lost :twisted:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

I'm glad reigen lost :twisted:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

dogsicle posted:

I wish Reagan had lost :(

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel posted:

same as before. i won't read it

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

littleorv posted:

Motto posted:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Willsun posted:

I guess Golden Time kind of sort of mildly to some degree matches your criteria. I liked the novels, at least.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

The dead wiki should be allowed to rest

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Golden Time was pretty okay. About as ridiculous as H&C was. Barakamon was a great recent twenty-something artistic malaise show, but not that kind of ensemble at all. Paradise Kiss is probably my favorite of what you are describing. Art college romance featuring characters doing jobs.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Namtab posted:

The dead wiki should be allowed to rest

Perhaps it will be reborn in a new world.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

accepting editor applications for the new adtrw wiki

requirements:
- fluent in 日本語 (lit. copying japanese names for things from wikipedia)
- owns at least 21 manga volumes, with at least one volume of naruto
- has a flame t-shirt

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

- owns at least 21 manga volumes, with at least one volume of naruto

Do those 3-in-1 manga volumes count

Also can we substitute Naruto for Fairy Tail because I used to own exactly 20 copies of that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

they only count as one, and no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:lol:

Also perhaps the ADTRW Wiki should be laid to rest. If people feel that it's necessary to carry on the legacy, a new Wiki could be created, as well.

• Locked thread