Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

5. Free Space! Put your favorite anime here!

4. My Hero Academia. The adaption has really bad pacing issues, but I love the characters, and All Might is my hero. The finale with him pummeling Nomu is exciting and energetic. That scene alone just sort of saves this adaption for me, but I was also enticed by the first two episodes. I find Deku a relateable kid and I want to see him succeed. All in all, the manga thus far is way better, but season 2's got a lot of potential, especially now that we've gotten to the action.

3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable. Part 4 was my favorite part in the manga, though there's a large potion in the middle of this adaption that just... doesn't feel great. I dunno what it is, but a lot of this anime seems weak to me. Luckily it starts picking up in a major way in the final third, enough to make me forgive the lull in the middle. The pace picks up, we get cool and interesting fights, satisfying beatdowns, all the poo poo I like Jojo for.

2. Osomatsu-San. Picked this series up on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by not only one of the funniest animes I've ever seen, but also a colorful, well animated, and all in all a series visually appealing to look at.

1. Mob Psycho 100. This adaptation is perfect. It captures the charm of the source material with a distinct style on top of animation akin to an adult swim bumper. These are some of the best written characters I've had the pleasure of learning about in a while. The soundtrack kicks rear end and compliments the bizarre universe of Mob Psycho spectacularly. I just, augh, I just really love this series guys. Reigen, along with All Might, is probably one of my most favorite characters in the last ten years.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
5. Kiznaiver - I liked quite a lot about this: the character design, both sets of credits, and a satisfying if unconventional ending. Sure, the plot is inherently ridiculous and the characters needed a little more time to breathe, but all throughout this was a fun, stylish show with some great moments.

4. Space Patrol Luluco - An epic (in the classic sense of the word) journey through the Trigger catalog told in 8 minute increments. A clever and kinetic show with a romantic heart.

3. ReLife - Heartwarming slice of life with a touch of wish fulfillment ("What if I could do it all over again?").

2. Hibike Euphonium 2 - Beautiful production with very solid voice acting and somehow gets you to care about mostly mundane teenage drama. Be nice to Yuuko she's just very protective toward her friends

1. ERASED - I'm a little surprised there isn't a lot of love for this; apart from the overly convenient ending I thought this was the most consistently excellent show this year. It's the little things they got right that I loved: the weariness of our failing protagonist, his clever but not yet smart friends (they're still very young!), the subtle tells of how Kayo was from an abusive household. I think ERASED will stand the test of time more than most people give it credit for right now.

Honorable mentions: Tanaka-kun, New Game!
A show that I give a lot of points to for trying something interesting but did not quite think was great: ConRevo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
1). Hibike! Euphonium 2: I might say that the first season was better, as the way that ended felt exceptionally strong compared to how S2 has kind of wrapped up. But even so that doesn't change the fact that the characters are among the best KyoAni has ever produced/adapted, with some of the most moving and relatable of stories to match them. On top of everything it might be the best animated show I've ever seen. So yeah, not bad. Not bad at all.

2). JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: After the latter half of Stardust Crusaders I was fully on board with whatever JoJo could bring to the table, and Part 4 went above and beyond by being the best I've yet seen from the whole thing. I have some issues with DiU that prevent it from being something legendary, but it gets so much right it's hard to get mad at it. What a fun show.

3). Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: DEEN? DEEN! No seriously how did DEEN come up with this? I can only guess that it's just the quality of the source material showing through.

4). Flying Witch: I try to have at least one chill anime in these lists each year and can't think of anything more deserving than FW.

5). Re:Zero: There was a big hump for this at the start in that the MC was rather annoying, and that's probably the main reason I have it so low. Because of the rest of the show (well, much of it at least) had some real standout moments with a lot of build up to satisfying conclusions. For the type of story it is, it's pretty exceptional.

Honorable mentions:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, for being the first Gundam in a long god drat time that I've been able to care about. The character designs are dumb but it's solid all around.

Amanchu!, for perfectly replicating that ARIA feeling (there was an ARIA OVA too this year which probably wasn't a big enough deal to mention but it was also good).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

2016 was a good year for DEEN, they've got four shows getting best of year nominations. the meme should die

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

KyoAni is the new DEEN

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

KyoAni is the new DEEN

Your posting

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Even though it's a movie let me offer up my praise to the wildly successful Kimi no Na wa, though the only way I've been able to watch it is in lovely dvd-rip quality. Hope it comes to the US of A soon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

El Burbo posted:

Even though it's a movie let me offer up my praise to the wildly successful Kimi no Na wa, though the only way I've been able to watch it is in lovely dvd-rip quality. Hope it comes to the US of A soon.

"Don't see my movie" -Makoto Shinkai

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/813875860461654016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

gently caress that guy. I'll show him!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm sure he means that its unhealthy for him to be surrounded by so much cash

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bathing in money will damage your skin.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Butt Ghost posted:

5. Free Space! Put your favorite anime here!

Crazy that Tatami Galaxy got a vote this year.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hey, I actually watched more than 5 anime. I can post in this thread this year.

5) Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - A far more brutal take on the old "trapped in a fantasy world" trope. This one was pretty underrated I think.

4) Tanaka-kun is Always Listless - I watched the first episode of this and thought the premise was ridiculous and had no business being a show. Then I watched the rest of it and loved it.

3) Konosuba - One of the funniest anime comedies I've seen.

2) Erased - An incredibly compelling series. Might have been number 1 if it had stuck the landing, but I was more invested in seeing Kayo's story get resolved than the actual mystery.

1) Re:zero - I'll pretty much watch anything if it involves time loops and this did not disappoint. Usually I'll let episodes of a show pile up but I had to watch each episode of this as soon as it went up.

Honorable mentions go out to the shows I am currently watching: Yuri on Ice, Flip Flappers, and Gi(a)rlish Number.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
1) Yuri!!! On Ice - I held off watching this for a long time and am really glad I came around. I wasn't too keen on the ending but the rest of the show is solid enough to more than make up for it. I'm actually watching it a second time right now, I don't think I've ever watched a show a second time before. The characterization is wonderful, the music is wonderful, the story is wonderful, I'M THE KING JJ NO ONE DEFEATS ME.

2) Mob Psycho 100 - Great execution, really just fun to watch.

3) Konosuba -

4) Erased - Another one with a lackluster ending, but solid up until then. Also: Mom of the Year.

I don't really think the other things I watched this year deserve a best-of vote even though some were pretty good. Apparently I liked Grimgar when it aired but I remember literally none of it now so I can't in good faith put in a vote for it.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

1. Hibike! Euphonium S2
KyoAni doing KyoAni things.

2. Fune wo Amu
Who knew editing a dictionary could be so engrossing?

3. Flying Witch
Filled that Non Non Biyori hole I had this year. Also, Chito for best cat.

4. Mob Psycho 100
Stunning visuals and Reigen.

5. Haikyuu!!
Volleyboys rule sports anime this year. One of the most faithful anime adaptations from manga that I've seen. Also, Yachi for best girl.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished 30 shows this year (or 28 I GUESS). Let's keep this short and sweet.

(8.) Yuri!!! on Ice: JJ stole my heart.

(7.) Natsume Yuujinchou Go: The production issues were a bit disappointing, but the material is still solid.

(6.) Bungo Stray Dogs: Season one started kinda slow and leaned too hard on recycling flashbacks, but season two had slick, tense action from the word go and just kept rolling.

5. Osomatsu-san: Can be pretty inconsistent especially in its first half, but when it hits, it usually hits it out of the park.

4. Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan: Tight comedic timing that really took advantage of its shorts format and still gave just enough time for its genuinely sweet moments.

3. Gintama°: The episodic comedy stuff was a bit weaker overall from previous seasons, but the big dramatic arcs were as on point as ever, and the sword fights looked sick.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: All around very strong character drama. Some may find the death needlessly dramatic, but considering the frame story, I can buy it as an indirect, effective representation of the narrator's jumbled, decades old anguish spilling over. As we see when the story shifts back to the present day, he's still quite haunted by his lingering grief. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the early credits roll.

1. Haikyuu!!: The series had superb visuals, music, and pacing its first season, but its second season stepped up on everything that was great about it, along with adding some really satisfying character development. The big matches have this kind of Ace Attorney feel to them, where things are super tense but they're starting to go really well, and the backing track just fits so well. It's such a rush. The last episode of season three featured the perhaps longest seven minutes in my life, and did I mention satisfying character development? Holy hell.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

anyway i'll give my list when flip flappers is done airing

Realizing my investment when I'm holding off for the same. This show really is gonna hinge on its finale, but really it's about where in the top five it goes...

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
1. Flip Flappers - I don't care if the last episode is complete trash, it will still be the best for me just based on the other episodes. Marathoned this on a whim near the end of the season and I'm glad I gave it a chance despite loathing magic girls, it stole best couple from YOI for me also I still can't get the EP song out of my head,

2. Yuri on Ice - Really nice romance that happens to have some ice skating to it. It's one fault I think is that for someone like me who cared more about the romance than the competition it kinda peaked before the end, and then there were a couple episodes where I wasn't as invested, I guess to keep people like me on their toes they created some bullshit drama but it felt pretty forced and the ending was kinda weird.

3. Haikyuu - The Volleyboys are back in town, followed the manga very faithfully with beautiful animation, just a really well done adaptation of the best sports manga out there right now.

4. Drifters - Good old-fashioned ultra-violence, doesn't offer much beyond duders killing swathes of other duders in a fantasy land but sometimes that's all I want from anime.

5. My Hero Academia - Adaptation of a really good shonen manga, despite slow pace issues already mentioned by others, hopefully they pick up the pace if they do another season.

Honorable Mentions

New Game - Perfectly mediocre moe SoL, it does nothing wrong while also not hitting any high notes, about as inoffensive as a show can get. I think this was trying to capitalize on Shirobako's brave new direction for SoL shows which is why I picked it up but it didn't have any cool insight into the Japanese game industry beyond it being soul-crushing and that you have to work insane hours, which I'm pretty sure is just all work over there. Art director girl and Character designer girl should have hosed.

Amanchu - Nice chill show that tricks you into thinking it's about diving but it's actually about doing nothing, I love doing nothing so that's cool.

Shokugeki no Souma S2 - I didn't check to be sure but I think this did the opposite of the MHA adaptation and had a crazy pace, I remember the arc lasting way longer in the manga. Pretty good for me cause the manga can drag but this season had tons of really good shows so it doesn't make the list.

Also I was gonna put March Comes Like a Lion in 2nd place but I guess it will just have to be ok with taking 1st place next year, it would have been 1st most other years but Flip Flappers was a real surprise hit for me.

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013
5. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Best part of Jojo had the best adaptation, this was lower on my list last week but they nailed the ending so perfectly that it deserves recognition.

3. FLIP FLAPPERS
Basically everything I've ever asked for in a magical girl anime, for better or worse it's extremely ambitious and unique. The final episode hasn't aired yet but I'm confident it's not going to land below or above this spot.

2. Space Patrol Luluco
best april fool's joke of 2015

1. Go! Princess Precure
Brings out the best in traditional magical girls and reinvents it, maintains a ridiculous level of quality for an entire year that's nearly unheard of for a kids show, every aspect was so insanely polished and raised the bar for the entire genre in a way that I hope Flip Flappers is able to do.

Best Movie - KING OF PRISM by Pretty Rhythm

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm bad at ranking things so all of these are number 1 in my heart.

Haikyuu: I somehow missed all the hype for the first season of this show, but after the first ep of season 2 aired I decided I'd slowly make my way through it and eventually catch up to the new season if I really liked it. Instead I finished season 1 in a day and became intensely invested in the lives of a bunch of volleyboys. And season 2 was even better. Yachi was a fantastic addition, and reacted to each spike and block and moment of drama the same way I would. The training arc with Nekoma and the other Tokyo teams loving ruled. And that final match against Seijoh was basically the best thing i'd ever seen. Also, this show has my vote for best soundtrack. It's freaking great.

Immediately read the manga, and kept up through season 3. What a fantastic show, and just further proof to me that Sports might be my favourite brand of Shonen stories and I should really read/watch more.

Mob Psycho 100: Before the show aired lots of people were saying it was ONE's best work, eclipsing One Punch Man. I didn't really believe them, thinking they were just talking of it so fondly since it was written first. But no they were completely correct, this show (and the comic) loving rule. Mob and Reigen are among my favourite characters ever, and it was just amazingly animated and adapted. Much of the show is almost a character study on Mob and it's just really sincere about him being a good person who is still growing up and changing to be an even better one. I had so much fun watching this series, then going to read the manga. ONE is a goddamn genius.

Love Live Sunshine: I watched the original series ages after it aired, and just as the marketing for Sunshine really began. So i'd kinda been interested in this for a while, but I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. In my eyes it exceeded the original series (especially season 1) in most aspects, and was just a really solid show. It had a few problems but it fixed a lot of the issues I had with the first show, and pretty much all the characters were really fun. I'm excited for the inevitable Season 2.

Diamond is Unbreakable: My favourite Jojo adaption so far, also my favourite part adapted so far. I liked part 4 a lot and this was a fantastic adaption. I liked the art style a lot more than previous seasons as well, and David did some great things for the show. It changed more things from the manga (or just moved things around I guess) moreso than the previous parts, but I think most of them worked out pretty well. The finale is also just one of my favourites in all of shonen, so it was a treat to see it in animation.

Also, Great Days is the best op of the season and I love it a lot.

Magic of Stella: Can't remember why I decided to watch this, saw a funny gif I suppose, but I had a lot of fun with it. Just a nice relaxed show with a bunch of fun characters, not a single one I disliked. Had a few rough episodes in the late-middle of the series I thought but nothing outright bad, and I liked the last couple a lot. Also, it had surprisingly relatable characters. Because I too suck at time management and despise every creative work I have ever put effort in.

Honorable Mentions
Space Patrol Luluco: Just goofy fun. Maybe it should be in the top 5 instead of Magic of Stella? Anyway, first (and only) Trigger show i'd seen and it was really fun. The cameo at the end makes me want to give Little Witch Academia a shot next season.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
fff it's hard to pick just five

Mob Psycho 100 was a clear winner this year. Wonderful experience on the whole, great adaptation of a well-done manga made by people who clearly have a passion for animation, excellent pacing of serious heavier moments with lighter one-off moments. I wasn't quite up to saying One Punch Man was the number one spot of last year like many, many people were saying, but nothing really came close to Mob Psycho for me. Also Reigen is the most powerful character in all anime.

Flying Witch is okay the one other thing I'd argue came close. It's just so utterly charming and pleasant and left such a cheerful feeling behind every episode. There's not really much in the way of dramatic tension to be found here, but you know what? I think that was really, really something needed right about now. Slightly Not The Most Comprehensible Dad is the only character that didn't really click for me, I loved literally everyone else involved. Especially the cats. Goddamn if you want a high tier cat anime this is your jam.

Keijo!!!!!!!! is something I went in thinking I'd get a few giggles from for a few episodes before finishing off lukewarm or maybe even dropping it. It turned out to just be a ton of fun that rolled with its mind-boggling silliness to excellent effect. The potential for it to be trashy was offset by really all the parts you'd expect just being so over the top and nonsensical that it's all more comedic than anything, and by at the same time doing a fine job with its cast and how seriously they were treating the sport.

Kuromukuro is kind of my obligatory Show I Liked Way More Than Most Other People Did. I really wasn't sure what I was expecting going in - I almost passed on it entirely. I mean the name doesn't inspire confidence it's not just going to be kind of...bleh. But it turned out to have such an incredibly strong and interesting central cast that I pretty quickly fell in love with it. There's really not much more to say. Top-notch mecha show with two charming leads and a surprisingly compelling secondary cast, only really let down by slightly weak antagonists.

Last slot is difficult to give, but I'm gonna go for... Flip Flappers. It's not finished yet, I know, but I've been so into what it's put down that it doesn't really matter what its last episode does, the entire rest of it has been such a creative and visually engrossing thing and that is the number one way you rope me in. Cocona's an excellent and understandable lead and Papika's an excellent companion to embody the liveliness of the show. It seems I have a lot of shows held by strong lead pairs...I don't think they harmonize quite as well as Mob and Reigen, or Yukina and Kennosuke, but they're still good and the rest of the show syncs with them well too.

Honorable mentions!

Rakugo is just kinda subject to only having five slots for this. It's still great! Easily up there in terms of its high refinement and clear love for the art it's about, and in terms of a story's conflict and drama it's bar none at the top of this. But it's just the kind of thing...you know. It's not actually the most interesting to watch while it's going - takes a little time to digest and settle, is all.

Drifters is a cool and stylish action show about teams of history's greatest duking it out with clever strategies for shifting political aims. It's great - yet another symptom of 'i can only put up five', it pushes a lot of the right buttons and seeing the casts' motivations start to rub together is interesting...it's just, the big problem is how a lot of it is simply not resolved, because of an ongoing manga. Nobody's yet had their big payoff and clash of consequences. It's great fun, but it's halfway through on literally every storyline, except for those it only introduces and doesn't really take anywhere, so on its own it's a bit unsatisfying.

Kiznaiver could have really been something special, with an utterly fascinating premise and some really good execution in the first half on its implications, and a cast that looked really exciting from the start, and loads and loads of style.. But half of them just don't really go anywhere, one of them gets her moment and is kind of dragged around everywhere, and despite the themes, it rarely feels like the whole group really connects with each other, so much as they all kind of revolve around the lead with a few tying threads between some others. Too bad, I loved what was there.

ERASED was one I almost forgot about, but yeah I liked all the little touches here and there that really characterized everyone. Yet another one battling for that fifth slot really. As a story it's certainly stronger than most of the other ones up there but I tend to judge on how much of an emotional reaction I got and this one really just suffers from a general sense of 'that's cool i guess' over anything more visibly expressive.

Lot of other things I found to be good but just didn't make the cut. Grimgar, Bubuki Buranki, 91 Days, Iron-Blooded Orphans, probably some more still I am forgetting. This has really been a very good year for anime in my opinion. Good number hitting it out of the park, many more that are really solid with perhaps some rough edges. Not very many I'm really disappointed with that I didn't outright drop.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 3, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kyubeybryant posted:

1. Go! Princess Precure
Brings out the best in traditional magical girls and reinvents it, maintains a ridiculous level of quality for an entire year that's nearly unheard of for a kids show, every aspect was so insanely polished and raised the bar for the entire genre in a way that I hope Flip Flappers is able to do.

just wanna say thanks for listing this, im 5 eps in and this show owns so far

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Thunderbolt Fantasy and Jojo.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I was waiting until I got to watch the ending of two shows which I'm watching with friends (one of whom is out of town so we're stuck for the next few days) but then I realized that all seeing the endings would do is let me decide which one is my #1 and which is my #2, and since it's not weighted that doesn't really matter, so whatever.

5) Keijo!!!!!!!! - Absolute blast from start to finish. I really didn't expect to like this show as much as I did but it's really so fun. The ridiculous over the top boobs and butt attacks were hilarious and fun. I can't wait for a second season, might even pick up the manga.

4) Poco's Udon World - I actually haven't finished this one yet either but I doubt the ending will really change its position one way or the other. This was an absolutely adorable little single-parenting show that made me teary-eyed for all the right reasons. The little excited gasp sounds Poco makes wreck my heart every time. I'm weak.

3) Mob Psycho 100 - Of course this is also on my list. It blew One Punch Man out of the water and after reading ahead in the manga it gets so much better still. Excited for a season 2 of this as well.

1/2) Flip Flappers and Yuri!! On Ice - Until I see the ending to both I can't decide between them, but both of them were absolutely spectacular. Flip Flappers had such excellent visual theming and imagery while Yuri had a large cast of characters that I couldn't get enough of. Both of them hinged themselves around same-sex romance which is an unexpected bonus for me. I'm excited to see how they play out once my friend gets back in town on the 31st.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Alright it is time. Thankfully, this year was pretty easy for me.

5. Shokugeki no Soma S2
Shounen battle cooking. If you saw the first season you knew exactly what to expect. I still love this show and hope it will be back for more seasons. It's a fun ride and I will always make time for it.

4. Re:Zero
Most of this has already been hit by other posters. It starts out kinda rough, but is absolutely worth sticking it through. The latter story has some really excellent character and plot moments as well as it handles what could have become a bit of a confusing mess rather well. Just gotta get passed the first few where you want to stab our lovely MC in the stupid face.

3. Mob Psycho
Honestly fantastic start to finish. Great visuals, great acting, great story. Strong adaptation and I loved every minute of it.

2. Love Live: Sunshine
I'm a little upset this landed at number two on my list, but here we are. Cute girls doing cute things and singing songs. I feel the Sunshine girls have it a little easier as there is now a fan base and franchise backing them, but I believe them all to be really good idols. Still gonna be a little bit before I can pick my favorite girl(s). I'm a die hard love live fan and thus it is no surprise this made it so high on my list.

1. Hibike! Euphonium S2
KyoAni. Thank you KyoAni. I love this goddamn show so much. Its beautiful art, subtle character interactions, and great music are everything I could ever want. Relating to the cast is so simple and all the interactions, be it lengthy or not, are so fluid and natural. In addition to the top notch animation, the cinematography is superbly executed and conveys many emotions without any character having to speak a word. Truly amazing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
1. Hibike! Euphonium 2 - because I seem to be a sucker for the nostalgic feeling induced by sappy voice-over. It's truly an exquisite production, with unbelievable care in the direction of scenes without dialogue, while also providing possibly the voice performance of the year from Tomoyo Kurosawa as the protagonist.

2. Haikyuu!! - Second Season + Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa - because it's easily the best running sports manga adaptation, with a great gallery of characters who all get their time to shine. Superb animation and music help bring it up another notch.

3. Re:Zero - because it had the single most memorable episode of the year, leaving me in stunned silence as the credits rolled. Admittedly started off slowly, and sputtered toward the end, but there's some riveting despair delivered relentlessly in the middle, which wraps up in a beautiful character moment, setting the show far apart from the rest of the "transported to another world" stuff we're inundated with nowadays.

4. Konosuba - because it's the most fun I had all year. There's something lopsided to the entire anime production, which creates serendipitous alchemy with the wonkiness of the characters themselves, resulting in utterly charming hilarity. Probably works best if you're already familiar with the bottomless pit filled with "another world" web novels that it parodies.

5. Boku Dake ga Inai Machi / ERASED - because the first half of the series was as good as anime gets. Perfect pacing and direction, demanding you watch the next episode as soon as it's available. It really is a shame the story couldn't carry it through, and with the soggy anime-original ending, it's understandable that the once-hyped audience abandoned it so quickly. Still felt it deserved a nod on my list.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 28, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - I've watched it like three times and each one fucks me up more, it's good poo poo and I'm hype as hell for season 2.

2. Yuri!! on Ice - It didn't stick the landing but whateves anime of the decade.

3. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBjypOKPz2o

4. Flying Witch - SoL of the year. The series completely nails the essentials of what makes these kind of shows great and does nothing else, because it doesn't need to.

5. Osomatsu-San -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOlWHMbduw

That's just the best shows, we also got JoJos, Flip Flappers, Tanaka-kun, Sound Euphonium 2, Haikyu!!, Erased, The Lost Village, Sweetness and Lightning, the new Natsume, and a billion great shorts like Miss Bernard Said and Nobunaga's Ninja. Anime was good in 2016.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 28, 2016

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Only based on stuff I've seen any of:

1) Tonkatsu DJ
2) Sakamoto
3) Mob Psycho
4) Jojo
5) Probably Flip Flappers or Luluco?

Honorable mentions: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE! and Onara Gorou

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's clear that I'm not going to finish Yuri on Ice any time soon so here's my list, in no particular order:

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou: This show was tons of fun, Agetarou is such a goofy guy who's a blast to watch. All the side characters were endearing and all the voice actors were great. 10-minute short of the year

Nobunaga no Shinobi: Every episode of this is funny, and all the characters are great. Good Sengoku fun, probably my favorite 3 minute short of the year and there were a ton of great ones

Osomatsu-san: I had no idea what to expect from this show and it blew me away. Although there's a few missteps in the beginning while the showmakers are trying to find a voice for the show, after a certain point every episode tops the last. My heart says Jyushimatsu but my brain says Karamatsu

Mob Psycho 100: This show was really funny and really heartfelt, and had awesome style. I love Mob and Reigen and Dimple and the Body Improvement Club and everybody else. I hope it gets a second season out of all the shows on my list

Flip Flappers: I've been pretty hard on this show in its own thread but I really do enjoy it, of the ten or so anime I started with in Fall 2016 with it's one of the few I never missed an episode of. While the writing quality plummets in the back half the visuals and directing never fail to thrill me. This is an incredible debut for Oshiyama, and I can't wait to see what he makes next.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Just for posterity, Hibike! Euphonium does in fact retain it's #1 spot on my ranking.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Special shout out to the 91 Days road trip ep as my favorite individual episode of the year

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
5. Thunderbolt Fantasy By virtue of making me actually like a thing Gen Urobuchi did for the first time ever.
4. Lupin for finally being my gateway into older anime.
3. Tonkatsu Dj Agetarou for standing out in an incredible year for short-form anime
2. Sweetness and Lightning manages to be the best of the recent crop of Dad Anime.
1. A bunch of people are sick of the "2016 was hell" narrative, but I had a rough one and Flying Witch helped me through a particularly rough patch.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
There were so many good shows this year I didn't get around to finishing, so for the ones I did, here's my top 5:

1) Flip Flappers: for being so goddamn colorful and wonderful and weird in every episode, like Space Dandy if it took itself a bit more seriously.

2) ERASED: The ending felt like a bit of a letdown to me, but otherwise I loved this show from start to finish.

3) Thunderbolt Fantasy: A wuxia-style epic performed with puppets, as written by Gen Urobuchi. I didn't think it would work, but here it does!

4) ReLife: Nothing like re-living your awkward as gently caress teen years, yet the protagonist found a way to grow from them. Didn't scare me away like most others with this premise.

5) Dagashi Kashi: It was tough choosing between 3 different comedies to fill this last spot, but I'm going with this one for teaching me about different Japanese snacks in between the crazy goth girl doing shady deals with the protagonist's father.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kleptobot posted:

1) Flip Flappers: for being so goddamn colorful and wonderful and weird in every episode, like Space Dandy if it took itself a bit more seriously.

funny you should mention that...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

5: Flying Witch- I felt like this show could have benefitted from having just a hair more of a traditional narrative than it had, but it's still a top-class Iyashikei piece. Lush, gorgeous environmental art, a likable cast that brings a nice sense of wonder to the proceedings, and a strong sense of humor. A-.

4: New Game- Not quite the 'Shirobako for games' I initially hoped it might be, but deceptively strong nonetheless. A surprisingly pretty and well animated work-com with characters I generally liked quite a bit, that found a nice sweetspot between work-related antics and warm character interactions. Not terribly ambitious, but tremendously successful at achieving the modest goals it set for itself. A-.

3:Hibike! Euphonium Season 2- I felt like my favorite character didn't really shine in this season, and the finale put all of its emotional weight on a character I just didn't like as much as it wanted me to, but that's largely a question of personal taste. That aside, there's no denying the sheer mastery at work in this season - the best animation of the year by a huge margin, excellent writing, incredible attention to detail, and a well realized and utterly believable cast. KyoAni doing what they do best, and doing it as well as they've ever done it. A.

2:Amanchu- Amanchu came first, of course, but with both it and Flip Flappers behind me, their fundamental emotional narratives are very similar. Amanchu is obviously much more grounded and the show puts a greater emphasis on our heroine's social anxiety compared to her overall coming of age, but the heart of it is in the same place, and it expresses itself in some similar ways. Amanchu was also extremely relaxing, with lavish art design and a medative tone making it a joy to unwind with every weekend. A.

1:Flip Flappers- Went into it with no strong expectations, good or bad. Came out with the slam-dunk anime of the year. The production suffers a bit in the final quarter, and the writing will displease anyone who doesn't/can't let the protagonist's emotional narrative trump some narrative cohesion and a full explanation of some of the setting's mechanics, but besides that I found Flip Flappers to be absolutely sublime. Striking art design, excellent direction, marvelous use of subtext, and an optimistic and deeply empathetic coming of age story centered around an eminently relateable, thoroughly explored, and likable heroine. A+.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 29, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My top picks
1. Konosuba The story and voice actors came together to make what is usually a dull and tired concept into one of the most hilarious shows I have ever watched.
2. Mob Psycho 100 While it does have a slow start, the visuals of this show are amazing and the general story is extremely enjoyable.
3. Re:ZeroInteresting look at just how difficult and traumatizing being able to respawn would actually be.
4. My Hero Academia The pacing of the show was not great but that was more do to what comes next in the story then any actual weakness of the source material.
5. Iron Blooded Orphans First real taste of a Gundam show and while it has it's issues, I have come to really enjoy the show and the second season so far has been quite strong as well.

Honorable mentions
Dangan Kashi While it wears its badge as a candy ad front and center, the characters help to make something that should be almost completely unrelatable due to not living in Japan a fun series to watch.
Durarara A solid show that I enjoyed watching from start to end which benefited from being broken down into multiple cours rather then being combined into a second season.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Top picks:

5. Poco’s Udon World - It’s a cute slice of life that is also a bit more than that. I started watching it on a whim and ended up loving the hell out of it. Even Gao-Gao. Especially Gao-Gao, in a few cases.
4. Mob Psycho 100 - This was just really great all around, but something has to be #4 here. Sorry, Mob.
3. Hibike! Euphonium 2 - KyoAni brought their A-game again. Everything about this show is gorgeous.
2. Flip Flappers - I left writing this until after the last episode and I feel like I’m running out of ways to say “yo, this poo poo is great, you should watch it if you haven’t”. But yo, this poo poo is great.
1. Yuri!!! on Ice - I could nitpick production issues I barely noticed most of the time or the fact that the ending wasn’t necessarily what everyone wanted, but whatever, I still think it’s phenominal.

Picking just 5 was hard, so here’s a bunch of honorable mentions in no particular order that are all still really good:

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless - Adorably lazy, and a very good adaptation of the source manga.
Flying Witch - See above, and it’s just so pleasant.
Fune wo Amu - This is just a really nice story about a dude who gets roped into editing a dictionary and ends up finding his calling in life. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I really enjoyed this.
Drifters - Narrowly missed being in my top 5. I've had no experience with Hirano's stuff previously, but now I'm thinking I should remedy that.
Re:Zero - I like it a lot overall, but it definitely has its weak moments.
91 Days - I just wanted to mention this since it was a cool show that could have been cooler with better production.
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu - I just really like Durarara.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Helter Skelter posted:

I've had no experience with Hirano's stuff previously, but now I'm thinking I should remedy that.

Hellsing Ultimate is really, really good and I highly recommend you check it out if you liked Drifters. I actually think Drifters was a bit of a step down, but since this seems to be mostly set-up with the promise of a second season I hope that'll change.

Also wow, your top 5 shares 4 of my picks. This is the biggest endorsement of Eupho I've seen for me. I think I'll actually throw it on my backlog now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

91 Days would be in my five if the first half of Flip Flappers wasn't absolutely perfect, I think by the end both series are about the same in quality but Flip Flappers starts out as a masterpiece while 91 Days is just really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

1. Tanaka-kun for being so happily listless and having the best friends
2. Yuri!!! on ICE for daring, and for exceptional storytelling
3. Flip Flappers for inspired and inspiring worlds, beautiful colors, and lovable characters
4. Sansha Sanyou for great character dynamics and amazing animation
5. KonoSuba for being a well-executed isekai comedy with the best worst cast of heroes

• Locked thread