Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Well, as a man, I...

Actually, I've been thinking about the need for a reading list, which is sort of unusual in most threads. I think it comes down to the perception of authority and mansplaining. Usually there is an assumption that posters know what they're talking about, but I suppose that isn't a given if the setup is specifically women explaining things to men, and men just sort of assume that having lived through a good half of the major genders makes them a credible authority on the other half. And therefore, women who are genuine authorities on the topic have to be brought up at the start instead of just referred to on as as-needed basis.

Jokes on them, though. Men who won't listen to an average woman talking about being a woman probably won't listen to a Ph. D. in womanology either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I always thought privilege was descriptive rather than prescriptive. The benefits conferred on me by being an (almost) white man were mine whether I wanted them or not, and I can't personally disclaim them even if I wanted to. But what I can do is not pretend that I have it easier than other people.

• Locked thread