Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Here's a classic feminist piece, the best response I've ever seen to the reflexive "but you're just better at it, sweetie!" response men have about the chores they don't feel like doing. The Politics of Housework
Anyway. She Divorced Me Because I Left Dishes By the Sink

I post these partly because men reading this thread in good faith might still have the impulse to whine "but what can I do?"

These are great links, thank you.

If you are a man reading the thread, definitely read them if you haven't, preferably before posting (especially if it's to whine), and reflect on what connections there are with parts of your own life. Sexism and the patriarchy are less chains--because those would be easy to see and understand--and more like a thousand gossamer threads entangling everyone. Things like chores, mansplaining, dismissiveness, sexist jokes, catcalling, and defensiveness seem small when isolated, but are overwhelming when a daily part of life. Make a genuine attempt to understand a perspective that is not your own.

Another thing I want to emphasize is, as men, we have a position of privileged and power. We're used to it, but it is unearned. But you can use that undeserved power to deal with the sexist poo poo that happens every day. Rephrase what a woman said at a meeting and attribute it to her so her voice isn't lost. Call out the idiot making sexist jokes so a woman doesn't have to. And listen. Really, actually, listen.

FactsAreUseless posted:

As a guy, I legitimately think most men - including myself - have no idea how to do this. It's just not something that we were taught how to do growing up, and without that knowledge a lot of men don't even realize it's not something they're doing.
I agree, but would broaden the "they have no idea" to a lot of things. For a variety of reasons, until college, I thought sexism was mostly a thing of the past. I was an idiot baby. The most important thing for men, I think, is that as soon as women have told you that sexism is still a problem, believe them, and then do the research and reading, spread the word to your other idiot male friends, and take responsibility for your part in things. It's not anyone's responsibility to hold your hand through it. Too often, I see other men who will say sexism is bad, of course, and they are feminists, but their actions contradict what they say. Often, what they do is nothing, and inaction supports the toxic status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread