Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any determinist feminist thinkers of note?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

the white hand posted:

Why get upset about it? I'd like to think of myself as a feminist but if women don't think I deserve the title I'm going to consider myself rather than arguing.

Doesn't this presuppose that there's such a thing as a consensus amongst women about the label, that there are clear boundaries that can be policed, that someone has the authority to police them, that women have a special access to truth and knowledge, or that such a thing as a mode of thinking confers a label to be earned?

I don't think any of that is true. Or falsifiable, for that matter. We can't even reach consensus on what constitutes "woman", so who are these women who disapprove of you calling yourself a feminist, and why are they more authoritative than the ones who approve or don't care either way? I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding men avoiding label, albeit purely as a social lubricant to avoid digressions like this. However, what you wrote strikes me as completely absurd once you start unpacking it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Trying to address feminism from the perspective of male insecurity never makes any sense, and everyone should just ignore that rear end in a top hat.
Can you go into more detail about this? I'm not savvy enough with the discussions within/surrounding feminism to get what it means to discuss feminism from that perspective. I mean I kind of get it, but not really -- the whole idea of men interpreting feminism as an attack on men, or centring men('s feelings) in feminist discussion?

Unless you're saying I'm the rear end in a top hat, in which case :colbert:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It's hard enough having contentious conversations in d&d without stupid psyops poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread