Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is an impossible question, but what is the current status of Feminism and the Feminist movement?

I don't subscribe to a linear history of progress, but what is the next "step" for equal rights and treatment for women? Is it policy thru a new ERA and labor laws (maternity/paternity leave, female medical coverage, etc.)? Should we focus on personal, socio-cultural progress?

I feel like women who makes strides in Hollywood and Washington get all the praise, meanwhile everything else stays the same for 99.99% of women. I understand they're the most visible, but I also think it's dangerous to rely on mass media to frame the feminist narrative.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

stone cold posted:

Do some reading before you post again please.

I understand I'm asking wide, narrow questions, but I'm honestly trying to get more informed.

I studied US Women's history in grad school and took a couple of courses on women in the developing world. I'm not some jerk off the street. But I am uninformed on current feminist trends.

I'll reframe my question:
Is the future of women's rights in government policy, socio-cultural progress, both? I understand some posters might be activists: Where is the movement headed and where would YOU like to see the movement go?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Get out you loving idiot marxoteen, nobody is ever going to take your bait no matter how many times you ask it or how many threads you try to hijack to do it. Can you only reach arousal if you've scolded a woman for owning a Beyonce album or what?

:psyduck:

I don't know why you hate me so much. I stopped posting in the last thread because it was unrelated. Now you're bullying me out of this thread even though it's a general Feminism thread.

For the record: I'm not trolling. I'm not baiting.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Octatonic posted:

One of the things I've learned over my experience with feminist and anti-racist action is that my middle class white upbringing emphasized neither patience nor empathy. Your questions will be addressed, if you look for them, but accept that your interests are not going to be prioritized. Cool it, and accept that you pissed someone off on the Internet. Listening more, and talking less, is something that proletarians, women, ethnic and racial minorities, and queer people are all forced to learn in certain situations. I invite men itt to try it out too. It's not always a bad thing.

Cool. I'll take a hypothetical number in the online open discussion thread.

I'm brown, raised poor, mostly in Mexico by a single mother, and have faced plenty of prejudice, but please tell me more about how I'm acting privileged.

Tried asking legit questions and got booed out. Y'all enjoy your exclusive thread.

• Locked thread