Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I feel like joining this thread after attending baby's first protest march yesterday. Even out here in flyover country (Bismarck, ND) we had a huge crowd, considering. I held a sign that said "Rebellions are built on hope" and got my picture taken with a couple other people who had Leia-themed "A woman's place is in the resistance" signs. Even my boyfriend's old-fashioned, Catholic mother cheered me on and asked me to "march for her."

Is there a main thread about the march around here somewhere? I usually stay in PYF and avoid the politics threads, so I'm behind the times. But I'm trying to spend more time talking to other feminists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This was the crowd at the capitol:

That's me in the back with the "Rebellions are built on hope" sign. (Also, note the golden retriever in the pink sweater on top of the vehicle in the back. Not sure why they were up there ...)

For Bismarck, ND that is a huge crowd. It's a very red state, we skew elderly and conservative, there's no significant four-year university anywhere near, and the population is not keen on protesting in general. Local organizers hoped to get 400 people, and they got around 700. All our speakers except one were Native American women. Unfortunately I didn't hear a lot of the speeches because I was in the far back and the sound wasn't good. The state director for Planned Parenthood spoke, and she was great - she had a lot of practical advice about talking to local legislators and getting involved locally. There's a We Rise training event in a couple of months that everyone was invited to, and I'm hoping to go.

My boyfriend went and I was a little worried he'd be the only guy, but the crowd was about 20% male, I'd guess. Lots of kids there too, and people of all ages. Also, North Dakotans are not good at shouting. It took a lot of encouragement for anyone to get any chants going - I think people were a little embarrassed.

In a state like this, I'm hoping for small victories. A couple years ago, ND voters soundly rejected a "personhood amendment," and the legislator who was behind it lost her seat to a political newcomer - even while the other two legislative seats in her district stayed Republican. This year there's an LGBT equality bill being proposed, and I don't know how much chance it has, but I want to fight for it.

• Locked thread