Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TB might go too hard out sometimes but she's coming from a decent place, whereas it would be extremely cool and good if you would just go get hit by a bus, thanks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Me! posted:

I need to work on my gender-neutral descriptors when addressing people. I walked away from a conversation with 2 female FedEx employees at the branch where I'm a regular with "have a good weekend, guys!" and immediately felt like a giant asshat.

Mostly it stems from high school; most of my friends were girls and the word "dude" was thrown around so much that it just became ingrained in my head as a gender-neutral term of affection. Sadly I can't remake the world around my own preferences, so I need to accept that calling a woman "dude" or "bro" isn't really a good idea.

Might be different in the US but hasn't "dude" been gender-neutral since before Cobain died?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jenner posted:

Earlier in this thread we were talking about the 47% of women who voted for Trump and how devastating and heartbreaking that is. The truth is, however, that this is common for white women. White women have, historically, rarely cared unless it directly effects them significantly enough. They'll organize and protest and fight until they get what they want and then they'll go away. (See: How white women didn't even want black women involved in the women's rights movement though eventually embraced them. Once white women's problems were largely taken care of they just walked away and left the black women who rallied with them to rot.)

The rights and privileges that will be stripped away by the Trump administration does not effect them.

More specifically, the inevitable loss of abortion access is not going to affect middle class white women and working class white women don't think it could ever happen to them. Only poor people (minorities duh) need abortions so why the gently caress should I care?

And they're already making due well enough with their unequal pay. They don't need equal pay the same way lower class single moms supporting their family do.

I don't know what Trump said that appealed to them but they aren't interested in fighting for other people's problems.

Why did they vote for Trump? There were many explanations but the truth is unless we ask each one of them individually we will never truly know their true reasons (and they might lie.) It's all well and good to be enlightened and just assume their other priorities overrode their defense of womanhood but, to them, this was not a betrayal of women because it doesn't effect the right women (them) enough.

When guys come in here asking why should they care I am pained because women also don't care.

I don't know how to make people care. :smith:

*note, I am a white woman.

If you're honestly curious, a lot of the consensus on women voting for Trump seems to be that for starters no one really expects him to follow through on the awful poo poo he said, and also the huge factor that for vast numbers of people in the rust belt things like abortion access and LGBT rights come second to "my town is literally dying, there are no jobs and I can't feed my family". Essentially, they're stranded in the desert, and being given the option of voting for the guy who promises to lead them to a yooge, luxurious oasis just over that hill who also has some awful opinions and is a horrible person, and an empty suit who tells them the water is gone, it's not coming back. Also you don't really need water, your body is 90% water already, seriously did you hear what that guy said? Terrible, right? You can just go ahead and vote for me now. Also her husband is the one who stranded them in the desert in the first place. This analogy really got out of hand.

Oh and as far as gender-neutral terms go, let's skip the whole debate and just address everyone as 'fucko'.

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 30, 2016

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm not sure I could read or recommend Shanley's blog to anyone.

So instead of throwing this out there and vanishing could you maybe give some indication why?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fututor Magnus posted:

https://twitter.com/alicemazzy/status/818294178752892928
https://twitter.com/alicemazzy/status/818295113306832897

Uh, opinions? This person I know has spouted a lot of dumbass opinions, but I supposed that this conjecture could serve as discussion material on this thread.

"Here's some ridiculous bullshit from a loving idiot, discuss"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You could probably sue for reimbursement of medical costs, and I'm sure there's a case to be made that a c-section would be grounds for an ABH charge

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm posting in the feminism thread, someone buy me a better redtext than this one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

This was the crowd at the capitol:

That's me in the back with the "Rebellions are built on hope" sign. (Also, note the golden retriever in the pink sweater on top of the vehicle in the back. Not sure why they were up there ...)

The last time you guys built something on hope you ended up with the Obama administration and look how that turned out, maybe build the next rebellion on a solid foundation of solidarity and violence

(No but seriously good on you, stick with it)

• Locked thread