Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
On the completely different topic of depictions of women in places you wouldn't expect it, I played BF1 recently and thought it was pretty cool that they threw a woman into the final episode and that was she was actually based on a real person. Most people don't really know that about WW1 (or 2, really). The Russians had female soldiers and pilots in both conflicts, partly out of desperation for warm bodies to throw at the enemy. I was reading about the WASPs recently. Women who were qualified commercial pilots when Pearl Harbor happened and who applied to take over non-combat roles since they were barred from actual warfighting. Their logic was that it'd free up more male pilots for active frontline duty. The unit only took the best of the best. About 5% of applicants got accepted. Seems like it's begging for a modern blockbuster adaptation because hey, Red Tails happened.

The job had its risks and a couple dozen of them died. They'd help out piloting prototype jet aircraft which were extremely buggy and wonky at the time so that killed a few of them. The other issue was that they'd fly tugs that pulled an unmanned target for live fire practice. It wasn't unheard of for the inexperienced trainees to mistake the tug for the target. Some of them died that way, many of them had to bail out of crippled planes more than actual combat pilots did. The lovely thing is that because they weren't active duty and technically civil servants they weren't eligible for military honors or benefits. IIRC in the late 70's Congress finally extended all that to living WASP veterans but many of them didn't live to see it. :(

-Blackadder- posted:

Trying not to lock people into being forced to answer a specific question here, so I'll essentially just ask: what the gently caress? What do people have to say about this?

Basically what falcon2424. It was about different priorities. Most of them were dumb poo poo like "I don't want to admit that the jerbs aren't ever coming back, tell me a comforting lie daddy." I didn't personally jump in the Trumpster fire but I do know Iraq veterans and their relatives who lost limbs and/or friends in the war zone and to PTSD suicide after coming home that voted for him. Clinton held a stated desire to establish a no-fly zone with an explicit willingness to shoot down a nuclear power's air force. I don't really feel like anyone's qualified to question that specific rationale for voting against her when it's coming from someone who's lost a kid or close friend to that sorta thing.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Defenestration posted:

I've been thinking about the gish gallop a lot lately. Trump and his ilk absolutely gish galloped every time they opened their mouths, so by the time you've responded to one horrible thing they've said 10 more.

It's not helped by the fact that Americans have regularly called people they disagree with Nazis for a long time now. So when someone with actual fascist tendencies strolls in, people aren't listening because the boy cried wolf too many times. Besides, Trump isn't Adolf Hitler anyway. He's obviously Silvio Berlusconi with nukes.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Getting very obviously baited over and over is not contributing to this thread. Just say no. e: beaten by proletarian_pixie. gently caress.

So let's talk about women's depiction in media that potential alt-righters are most likely to consume. Battlefield 1 surprised me by a) not having a throwaway campaign and b) having a woman be the playable character in the final episode that also featured Lawrence of Arabia. I ended up doing some reading on the actual Middle Eastern woman she's kinda sorta based on who had relationship with Lawrence and taught him Arabic. I assume the character's also intended to represent the general fact that the Bedouins have traditionally been more open to women in combat roles than some Western societies, including in WW1. The nice thing about telling historical stories (or historical fiction that have a strong basis in reality) is that it helps to short-circuit the feminist propaganda line because, hey, it all actually happened.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

The primary criticism of the Swedish model that I've heard is that, on the pragmatic side, by criminalizing the customer you create an incentive for them to threaten legal sex workers into silence in order to cover their own asses. That sex worker then may not want to gamble their physical safety by taking the risk of reporting it. Or you'll just encourage the customer to just go straight to trafficked women who aren't going to report poo poo anyway because their Russian mafia handler will leave them dead in a ditch somewhere if they try anything. On the civil libertarian side, you're still blanket criminalizing people even when everyone involved fully consents of their own accord and any attempt to alleviate that situation with selective enforcement of the law is left up to (possibly puritanical) authorities.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 1, 2017

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Similarly, from what I've read this approach also had the problem of filtering the clientele into a more dangerous composition. The 'ideal', safe John who just comes in, pays, and then fucks off without incident would be relatively more likely to be scared away than others. Those that remain and are willing to risk being caught would be more likely to be dangerous to the worker, particularly with the incentive you mentioned.

Additionally, if a woman is driven to sex work out of economic hardship, then a policy that seeks to essentially eliminate the option of sex work doesn't do anything about the initial underlying problem of that economic hardship. For the worker in question, that's basically exchanging the problem of coercive sex work with the problem of poverty. Or, more likely, it leaves her to continue with the sex work under worse and more dangerous conditions but with less income from it, ending up with the worst of both worlds. In actuality, such a policy seems to do fairly little in terms of actually protecting the workers themselves.

Yeah, a well-behaved John who can't contribute to her paycheck anymore may just be replaced by a risky John. The other downside of the Swedish system is that it basically prevents the formation of any kind of brothel because ain't nobody gonna be caught dead in an establishment where the cops can roll through at any time and just arrest and be basically guaranteed of convicting anyone who isn't an employee. So it locks the workers out of the advantages a brothel setup might bring such as pooling resources, collective representation, and safety because there can be dedicated security there at all times. Each worker could share that security cost instead of paying for a bodyguard all by themselves, if that even is a practical option in the first place working solo.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

rudatron posted:

If consent is undermined by power differences/circumstances (ie - the choice is not between two ideal cases, but involves unrelated trade-offs, that is going to coerce you into the only realistic option available to you), the obvious 'extension' of that argument is from sex-work into all sex. Given that men and women are not (yet) equal, can any consent between them have any real assurance of not being undermined, for the same reasons as between sex workers and johns?

This isn't so much a case of being wrong necessarily as it is being completely irrelevant until we make it mandatory for everyone to walk around with Sarif IndustriesTM cyber-arms. The average woman will usually be physically at the mercy of the average man and that colors everything, always. Or she could be socially pressured into some poo poo. I guess you could hypothetically remove that last factor by and large but there'll always be bad actors and women will always be more vulnerable to men on average, any one of whom could be that bad actor. Everyone knows that so every interaction will be affected by that knowledge and yet 99% of all people will still have sex so if all sex is rape as things stand now then it's pretty intractable and academic.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 1, 2017

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

universities as leftist institutions hasn't been a thing for a long time now

Well, you could argue there's a small high-profile faction of some students on campus nowadays that would like to see that happen but they're far too busy doing stuff like protesting queer women for not getting trans actors in leading roles during the 90's. So leftists as usual I guess.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

In my experience when a women gets to a high engineer level they almost always get an additional outreach responsibility (with no additional pay) so that megacorp1 can demonstrate its diversity. Meanwhile megacorp1 continues to hire 95% male engineers, and while Sally the exec eng is at a smallish conference repping the company at a panel session, Ben the exec eng is making board room presentations internally. While exposure of girls to this kind representation is good this fake fronting ends up disguising what is still a huge inequality.

I'm not sure what the alternative to this is though if you want to attract more women into the field. All your coders could do programming full-time and then they'd trot out some other woman who is purely a PR professional to do the outreach, which feels fake.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Are we really going to pretend the only way to see Hillary as being complicit in what Bill did to multiple women is to blame her because she's his wife? Come on.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Is it really complicity when a woman's public-figure husband cheats on her? What was she supposed to do? I find it very hard to judge the personal choices of people in situations that I could never experience. I don't know that there's a correct answer, and that proper understanding probably entails her own knowledge of and emotions about her husband. Or are you saying he is actually a rapist?

Oh no, I'm not talking about Lewinsky and I don't think that has anything to do with Hillary. Although of course plenty of Republicans do make jokes at Hillary's expense about it. But there are other women who've come forward about Bill being pushy or creepy or outright accusing him of rape and we know how rare it is for those accusations to be false. It's not unreasonable to expect Trump's close associates, including his campaign manager who's a woman, to disentangle themselves from him and openly denounce him for what he said and admitted to doing. Just being silent isn't enough. The same is to be expected of anyone else on the public stage.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I've heard logic sorta like this, that abortion violates fetus' 14th Amendment rights. Of course private persons can discriminate against you in all sorts of ways that the government can't so it's never gone anywhere. So I'm not sure if it's new or more likely to go anywhere.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

So this happened: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/17/pro_life_feminist_group_new_wave_feminists_removed_from_women_s_march_partnership.html

A pro-life feminist group wanted to join the Women Against Trump march happening in a few days, the WAT leadership put them on as a sponsor, then removed them after criticism. It's always interesting the tradeoffs and uncomfortable alliances that activists have to make in order to further their cause. Kinda like the Democratic strategy of getting minorities that trend socially conservative onboard with the party of gay marriage, etc. etc. because the alternative is the Republicans.

In this case the WAT leadership definitely made the right call although I wonder why they didn't make it from the beginning. If they do alienate anyone as a result of this move it's probably only a very small overlap between the Venn sets of pro-life women and women willing to vote HRC over Trump. And if they didn't they'd lose tons of support. So it seems like a no-brainer.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I truly cannot comprehend divorcing feminism from being pro-choice. Being hardcore prolife just goes against so many principles of feminism re: bodily autonomy, governance of women's bodies, women's health/wellness and access to health care.

Being an individual who identifies as prolife while being a feminist is one thing because I can understand the complexity of culture, religious background and such but a "prolife feminist group"? Does not compute.

The argument I've had pitched to me is that, assuming you accept personhood of the fetus, about half the time (or more often due to discrimination) it's a woman's life that is being ended. All her future health, wellness, choices, and autonomy will all be gone. IMHO there's not much sunlight between that argument and the argument that sex work should be prohibited whether or not the worker consents because it could under certain circumstances lead to increased sex trafficking or child prostitution. You're taking away one choice from someone for the sake of saving many other choices which squares just fine with a certain reading of the public good.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Since gender equality in other countries was discussed, I'll talk about one I've worked with a bit. Japan probably has one of the worst patriarchal systems that disadvantages women in a developed country. Their politicians know this, and have recognized this as a problem, but the country itself is incredibly slow to realize the impact it has on society. : http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...r/#.WH-jOD8zXIU

The Japanese government at one point offered incentives to any company that promoted women into management positions. Not a single company took the offer. Apparently there were other stipulations that went along with it. Currently only about 9% of management positions in Japan as of 2015 were held by women. The government wants to hit 30% by 2020, but realizes that's highly unlikely. It created an old boys' club, and men are four times more likely to have to work more than 60 hours in a week than women. This in turn has created Karoshi (death by overwork) where workers just die at their job, or commit suicide from the stress of their job. It goes to show how much the patriarchy hurts men as well.

I'm really skeptical Karoshi would end even if the Japanese workforce was an even 50/50 split at all levels. We'd just see women dying more often too. They've got a lot going on over there way beyond sexism in the workplace. Japanese racial attitudes and their justice system makes the U.S. look like a motherfucking speed demon when it comes to addressing problems. Hell, the vast majority of places in the world make the U.S. look pretty good in terms of attitudes towards other people, Europe included. Even Trump marginally adheres to the idea of "good" immigrants who followed the rules whereas in Europe advocating for a melting pot can be grounds for getting your rear end booted from office by someone to your right (or left, see Scandinavian immigration policies) in the next election.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That's a pan-east asian thang though.

hosed up but true: if you are a woman and want to get ahead in society, China is probably your best bet, though peeps argue which flavour of China is better. (I'd say that business wise mainland is better and politically Formosa but folks disagree)

Pffffft are you kidding? Hong Kong for the money (I guess that's mainland but :lol:one country/two systems:lol:) and Taiwan for the democracy. All day every day.

But yeah I'd argue that native Asians are probably the most discriminatory in general as things stand in the modern day. Hooo boy do they have some interesting ideas about redheaded women in particular. They're the ultimate trophies. An Irish friend was a deparment manager at a well-known aerospace manufacturer back in Europe and was emphatically not allowed to give any instructions at all to the Korean team. When she did, the Koreans would actually look at her male subordinates for a final yea or nay while she was still in the room.

There's also a persistent belief over there that Koreans/Japanese/whoever are the superior people group. And that's not racist you see. It's just science. Why haven't other scientists confirmed these findings? Well obviously you can't expect them to be as perceptive as scientists who are Korean/Japanese/whoever! For some reason this attitude is somewhat less common in China.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Rakosi posted:

Yeah, sorry, I worded my question badly. I meant to ask how you approach, from a feminist position, women who do propagate emphasized femininity (without inferring it is women that propagate it). I.E, at what point is it harmful to the feminist movement in how any particular woman chooses to gender herself in her dress, mannerisms and behaviors?

I will probably get on it, but likely after the Womens Marches are over as I can see this thread will probably be busy and now is probably not the best time to introduce a big TL;DR or five. Just as a disclaimer: I know very little about feminism, but I can historicize womens issues in my one field of expertise. I'll likely touch on things such as employment in Japan for women, and the contradiction of the Japanese governments liberal abortion policy and conservative contraception policies in respect to women. Childcare as well, will probably appear.

I'd definitely be interested in reading this too. Can you link to your Japan/race post too?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Rakosi posted:

I don't have to kowtow to every statement you make to be an ally to your cause. Explain to me how suggesting he should go "plan his next rape" was even remotely constructive. You know, I really tried to put in effort and contribute with posts from within my area of expertise but it is apparent that even very slight differences in tone are not just unwelcome here but are considered literal accessories to sexual violence and such.

You are utterly, provably not on this forum to debate if this is your reaction to someone who has honestly tried to contribute, but has called you out on posting something rather extreme and ridiculous.

I hope you stick around despite the backseat modding. Really interested in that effort post. :)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

So do you just have an alert set for "get the gently caress out" since it's more efficient than a namesearch

I actually was looking for a new title to go with the hentai av so thanks for this.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Is this feminist content? We are here to discuss feminism, if you don't share that goal get out like the other assholes.

Go plan your next shitpost.

So what's the over/under on these protests today yielding long-term coalitions that actually get poo poo done? Most of these things tend to last until the other team gets back in power, then they get disbanded, then the next time they're needed they have to take a few years to get it together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I've heard of gender archaeology and Wikipedia isn't being very clear to me here. Is feminist archaeology substantially different than or related to gender archaeology?

• Locked thread