Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Are you familiar with many parole departments?

Because yeah, that's pretty much exactly how they run. They are usually part of the club.

Also, if you're arguing seriously for the rehabilitation thing, maybe you should be clear about what rehabilative measures were taken in this case? Because I remember something roughly between jack and squat, but maybe I just missed it.

The fact that the institutional response is going to be what it is is pretty lovely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

wateroverfire posted:

What is your familiarity with the way parole departments are run? I'd be interested to hear more about the inner workings of those sorts of institutions if you don't mind talking about it.

It's uh, probably a bit off topic for this thread, but I'll be brief. It's through members of the Governor's Council, the local group responsible for voting on appointments made to the department, especially the board itself. Maybe not 100% relevant outside MA, but at least locally it has historically been made up of white male prosecutors that were personally acquainted with the governor and were willing to make significant "financial contributions" to the members of the Council to get their seat at an "easy, cushy job". Racism and sexism and classism were rampant among those who didn't simply recommend the maximum possible everything and deny parole 100% of the time - whether or not they liked and sympathized with the individual in question seems to be the beginning and end of it for many of them.

It's improved a bit since parole department members were banned from paying Council members to get their seats (well, during the actual nomination hearings at least, it's still legal to send the money over in advance - and even for that, thank Romney! He pushed it through despite a very hostile local congress who thought it was important it stay the way it was), but they still deal with things like getting a call from a VA politician that he would ruin their political careers if they didn't approve of his sisters appointment despite her having almost no relevant experience (and sister subsequently getting appointed when various local congress folk confirmed they would back up the virginia guy on that)

So yeah in my experience the Parole department tends to be the very definition of a good ol' boys club of well connected white folks (we recently made a serious effort to get women included and ours is now over 50% women, but historically it's been a lot worse). I like to think things have gotten a lot better than they were, but I imagine many states aren't far from where we ourselves were not all too long ago. (And the changes have been largely the result of more women pushing their way onto the Governor's Council, so good on them)

So - sorry, thread, for this tangent!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

there wolf posted:

If you're dismissing or flat-out denying the impact of patriarchy on the system then you're not really having a feminist discussion. There is no point where you tried or even asked what might motivate people to want to throw the book at this guy, instead immediately categorizing it as a irrational lust for vengeance.

If a light sentence and a little reeducation are all it takes to reform most sex offenders, then there is no reason why anti-rape advocates would be against that. But we are reasonably suspicious of claims that a slap on the wrist and a commitment to the straight and narrow are all it takes to stop a rapist, because that is literally the kind of justice rapists have been getting for centuries. And yet rape is somehow still a problem.

What you're saying is that it is important that the consequences for rape act as a suitable deterrent in addition to any concerns about recidivism or rehabilitation.

Which I think is a very fair concern.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

edit: nevermind

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 17, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

edit:nevermind

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 17, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

Oh you just deleted your post, so I'll delete this response too.

Yeah I somehow missed KM's post that the conversation should end on my first read-through.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Of everyone in here that spent the last several pages talking about it, the poster who posted as part of a several page ongoing conversation and then almost immediately realized it was inappropriate and removed said posts is the one who pissed someone off enough to buy them a redtext?

To think that for a moment I almost forgot how lovely this thread was to post in.

Does anyone want to hear more about women getting involved in MA politics by the way, both currently and in recent history? It's a pretty interesting topic, imo, and we have a guest speaker coming in next month. I could write that up, depending on how it goes. Preferable without it needed to be prompted by WaterOverFire

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 17, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

honestly it's so goofy I wouldn't even take it seriously and I doubt the person who bought it was being serious.
I liked the gift avatar I had before and never thought to save a link to it. :( My own fault, in the end, red text is almost always inevitable.

Kelp Me! posted:

When you say MA you mean Massachusetts? I'd like to hear about that; I lived in Boston for years and the local political climate was extremely man-heavy.

Yeah. It feels like, at least from the bits I've been exposed to, women have been having a lot of success making inroads. Still a good ol' boys club in many places, but improving all the time. Which makes sense, since the political machine here is generally resistant to any sort of change so it takes a while for seeds that have been planted decades ago to really start growing, but it's nice to see. My local DTC is almost completely women so they tend to push exposure to women's issues stuff (which is a good thing).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

Are you in Boston our outside of it? Last time there were elections for Boston and the immediate surroundings (Watertown, Brookline, etc.) the candidates were really heavily skewed, but I never paid attention to anything outside of the immediate area, tbh.

I'm a bit outside of it, actually, to the northwest. Concord area, formerly Malden. Even my "Boston" experience is largely Cambridge rather than actually-Boston. I've pretty much exclusively lived and worked with people from Middlesex County, so I've only got secondhand knowledge of most of the rest of the state (politically speaking).

I'll take some notes and pass along any info I think you guys will find useful, and specifically ask some of the women in my DTC if they have any good suggestions on resources for women getting involved here.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why can't Martha Coakley win an election to save her life?

Hey, she won the AG election pretty effectively!

I'm only really familiar with her police related stuff, beyond that she seems very "generic Dem". I know she had to have her hand forced before she was willing to indict a police officer over sexually abusing a baby. More generally, she immediately goes to the mat for the police no matter how obvious or egregious their misbehaviour, which has earned her loyalty among the state political apparatus but mistrust among many state progressives.

I don't know how she managed to lose both Gov and Senate to Republicans. I don't think you can pin it on sexism considering that Warren did quite well by comparison with the same voters against the same guy. At a guess, it feels like she failed to turn out the base or was seen as too much of a machine politician (or, more likely, is just a really bad campaigner, which hurts you less in elections for things like, say, AG, where you aren't really expected to be seen as a leader or politician or representative but as someone who gets a specific job done)

Anti-Citizen posted:

Are you talking about Wu specifically? I figure there's a lot more then her though seeing as it sounds like Boston is an old boys club.

Nah, wasn't even thinking about Wu. She's not, like... a real candidate, is she? I thought that was a media grab publicity stunt run rather than a serious attempt, but I haven't really followed it.

I could talk about women like Marilyn Petitto Devaney all day though, she's super awesome. I mean, we disagree on some things politically, but she seems like a genuinely great person and I'm glad to have her in the seat (she represents my district) She's a member of the Governor's Council I mentioned previously - she ran for office after a friend of hers was murdered by an ex, after the 8th time she want to court begging to get some sort of protection from him and being told by the judge that she was "wasting her time" because the judge thought he was an alright bloke. Decided that she was going to do what she could to make sure potential judges who didn't take the safety of women seriously didn't get a seat in this state.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 17, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Doesn't work unless I currently have an avatar. drat you, red-texter, at least put in some sort of garbage stupid idiot image or something next time!

Edit: Much thanks to the management, I got it now!

Jack Gladney posted:

Coakley continues to catch a lot of poo poo for prosecuting (as assistant district attorney) and subsequently (as district attorney) refusing to admit mistakes in prosecuting the Fells Acres abuse case, which was recovered memory satanic panic nonsense ala the McMartin preschool trial that sent demonstrably innocent people to prison. She could have granted them clemency but refused so that she could continue to seem tough on crime. Instead she reduced one sentence to time served after the lady spent a decade in prison but included another decade of probation as a condition:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fells_Acres_Day_Care_Center_preschool_trial

How much she personally is to blame for the convictions I can't really say, and it can't all or mostly be blamed on her, but refusing to let the victims out of prison is pretty lovely, if not typical of prosecutors.

That's actually kind of gross combined with the her unwillingness to prosecute a cop that actually was involved in child abuse... but again, pretty typical for a prosecutor.

Also, this reminds me that I really should try and find out more about my local House rep, Kate Hogan, and see what she's about.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 17, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

God that's rough. It's easy to imagine mandatory parental leave in white-collar jobs where every day is pretty much the same, and coworkers can usually take over the tasks without retraining or a huge hit to their own duties, but in something like science... there are discoveries that will happen in those years you're having your babies, and they can be discovered by you if you're there or they can be discovered by someone else if you're not. If you have multiple kids and take the recommended amount of time off for each, your field could have changed so much you'd need a whole new degree to catch up.

"That's the tradeoff people make when they choose something like science," some will say, except men never had to make that tradeoff. Lots of historic scientists had kids, sometimes tons of them. But their wife was at home handling that poo poo. It wasn't their problem or their supervisor's problem. We need a completely new societal understanding of work and its place in people's lives. It would reach far beyond childbearing too - people need time off to live their lives, to attend to medical needs, to support family members, to rest and try new things. Imagine if that meteoric rise in American productivity had come with a corresponding drop in hours worked.

Maybe I'm completely off base, but it seems like pushing women who want to succeed in careers like this to find spouses who would support them in their pursuit (and making it okay for men to fill that role) would be the ideal outcome, right? Part of excelling and making real progress in difficult fields is having the support structure that makes it possible to do so while still having some semblance of a life outside work and still pursuing other goals (like children), and as much as it gets looked down upon a family structure with a stay at home parent to care for the house and children doesn't actually seem like a bad thing in theory, and the main problem is that in practice our culture pushes us to rest that role on the shoulders of women.

I mean, I commented on this in the men's thread before it got shut down, but it's super relevant to women's issues too - our society simply doesn't offer the respect to support roles (not just parents) that they deserve, and this cuts across genders and layers of society and the harms of it have largely fallen on women, both because those support roles are often dominated by women and because for women to succeed to the extent men historically have we absolutely need men to be willing to fill those roles in their place.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The fact that there is not an easy way to get emergency help is imo a wrong thing.

But that's speaking from someone whose wife and son would be dead if we'd tried to do it at home even though everything had looked fine in advance, so I will admit a bit of bias.

(Things like the attached midwifery centers my local hospital has are super cool though)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Although that goes in the other direction too, before the current hospital era there was a lot of poo poo about how women shouldn't be given pain meds at all and poo poo because they were supposed to be able to tough it out and some of that is coming back which was really frustrating to deal with during my wife's pregnancy, there is definitely a not altogether pleasant push among many modern day health practitioners to not give pain relief or allow any assistance because birth should be "natural" even when the woman in question is expressly asking for it and they've been in labour for 9 loving hours.

Overriding the opinions of the woman actually giving birth is pretty poo poo now matter which way you go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anyone who attends the Womans March today, I beg you, if you can, to attend in a meaningful way and not simply be an extra face. This is not the sort an event with any inherent value - like many marches, it is about opportunity. If you arent actively recruiting for an organization dedicated to lasting pressure and real change, then at let yourself be recruited while you are there, and enable the same to happen for others - dont just be a protest tourist, quickly forgotten. Use this as an opportunity to add momentum.

I am sure many of the regular posters are already involved with actual relevant movements so this is mostly for lurkers and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Walsh is a firm believer of the myth that if things have gone poorly for you its because you werent good enough, even i situations where he is the one actively applying the boot to the neck of the oppressed. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that his answer to feminism would be saying that obviously the problem is that women just arent good enough and if we educate them then the problem will be fixed

• Locked thread