Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

The comments on that article :staredog:

Why do this to yourself.

e. Could we link to RAINN in the OP? Not exactly a resource but a list of good charities would be cool.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

why can't I be a feminist as a man, and instead have to be an "ally"? (i'm assuming that's hiw this works)

Why make that assumption?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

How does the concept of ally work then?

If you subscribe to a feminist outlook of the world you're a feminist.

I don't really understand why people use the term "ally" either. To differentiate between varying levels of experience/involvement with the core issue maybe? It's not terribly important to the conversation and shouldn't bother you too much. If anything it's gained a (perhaps undeserved) reputation to mean fair-weather friends so you're better off just doing what you do and forgetting about labels. Feminism is a defined worldview hence the defined label "feminist" as opposed to "feminist ally".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Issuing a personal challenge to all dear friends to keep the pointless semantic argument that pops up in every feminism thread isolated to the first page. Who will answer the call

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Suggestion for OP: A FAQ so someone not in the know can get their questions answered in relatively short order without getting jumped on as a troll and regulars can just point to so we can avoid annoying conversations like "am I a feminist?" or "why isn't it called gender egalitarianism?"

Because I didn't view those guys' questions as hostile at all but a couple of the responses to them definitely were. Online feminists have good reason to be wary of drive-bys but we could probably stand to relax our threshold a little bit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

botany posted:

I realize we've moved on but I wanted to adress this:

I do activist stuff as well but I still refer to myself as an ally rather than a feminist, because men who feel like they are part of a movement have the tendency to coopt it and take over. This happens even in feminist meetings, well-meaning guys will talk over everyone and, in their (again, well-meaning) attempt to "make things right" will take charge and try to lead the group.

Are you so insecure that you have to refer to yourself as an ally to put women at ease that you're one of the Good Ones? What is the meaning of this? Do you not trust yourself to reign in your natural male pushiness?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 28, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Not a throwaway snipe, I legitimately want to know why that guy contributes if he doesn't trust himself to do it in good faith.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'd ask the same of you, but this is not the "give reactionary pricks attention" thread, this is the feminism thread, and you are not a feminist and clearly have no desire to become one, so leave.

:smugjones:

If I tick every item on the list except deferring to one-note bullies that treat me like the enemy for a difference in opinion I think I'm doing alright. I won't tell you how to advocate.

Hope the thread gets good someday and moves past the same old dumpster fires by page 50.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

:ironicat:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thanks for my first ever red text, TB. Keep fighting the good fight.

stone cold posted:

Tb isn't slashie, and her posts have been helpful and productive in this thread. Where in this thread has she told anyone to kill themselves? Have you considered kicking out the trolls instead and getting more mods for d&d?

:thumbsup:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hexmage-SA posted:

Look up "siege mentality". It's incredibly relevant to online social justice "discussions".

In the case of Feminism, there are enough dedicated misogynists trying to sabotage online Feminist discourse that many Feminists quickly lose their patience with people who aren't sufficiently ideologically-pure. There's little opportunity or desire to interact with people who aren't already completely onboard and well-equipped because those people are locked outside the fortress along with the misogynist hordes

This seems to be part of it. I mentioned this earlier in the thread and think it bears repeating - yes, feminism is under attack. Yes, it's under attack on these very forums and in this very thread.

Treating everyone who asks a question as a likely troll is just a bad way to be, for the thread, its participants, and the poster who legitimately wanted a question answered. It's safe, sure, but does it foster community and healthy discussion? I think there's room to budge there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

stone cold posted:

When the question was prefaced by "this is an impossible question" and "please tell me what feminism is today" that's not acting in good faith, that's an idiot man coming here and wanting us to do his homework for him.

You have a fairly decent FAQ in your OP. In cases of doubt I think "Read the OP" is a decent response. There's not really anything leading a troll can counter that with, right? At least more productive than "get out".

I realize this sounds like tone policing. I'm not asking you to spare anyone's feeling. It's a simple choice between whether you want discussion to happen here on a long-term basis or not.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A humble suggestion for anyone going down the rabbit hole of the manosphere, especially on YT - please do it incognito. Your recommendations will thank you.

Anyone have favorite podcasts/YT channels? Kristi Winters is consistently on-point and I will never not namedrop her.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My red text is slightly different today than it was yesterday, meaning someone saw my red text and paid to change it again to something that amounts to the same thing. :allears: What in the world. Was the first request to kill myself lacking in some nuance that you think the current one nails?

TB and Stone Cold: please, please, please spend that money on any one of the excellent charities in the OP instead of wasting it on red text for people who aren't even your enemy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kelp Me! posted:

I need to work on my gender-neutral descriptors when addressing people. I walked away from a conversation with 2 female FedEx employees at the branch where I'm a regular with "have a good weekend, guys!" and immediately felt like a giant asshat.

Mostly it stems from high school; most of my friends were girls and the word "dude" was thrown around so much that it just became ingrained in my head as a gender-neutral term of affection. Sadly I can't remake the world around my own preferences, so I need to accept that calling a woman "dude" or "bro" isn't really a good idea.

It's telling that I'm drawing a blank over any sort of alternative. I can't imagine saying the same thing but appending "ladies" at the end without it sounding slightly condescending or creepy.

Though I guess a good alternative is to just not use them at all. If the party you're addressing knows they're being addressed I don't see any room for confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure which post of mine in this thread caused whoever has redtexted me 3 times to wish death on me and accuse me of hating women, but I would ask whoever it is to please match my donation to RAINN before deciding if they want to do it a 4th time. You'll feel a lot better and help people in need.

https://donate.rainn.org/

• Locked thread