Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I generally tend towards leniency in criminal justice with a big focus on rehabilitation over retribution, so the bigger problems (in my view) arise when you look at comparison cases. Hmm, how strange, people are a lot more interested in the rehabilitation of Brock Turner than they are in the rehabilitation of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

wateroverfire posted:

Are you thinking of specific cases and specific people?

No, I'm thinking systemically. If you were to take what minority offenders get for non-violent crime as a baseline, Turner should be in for life. What causes us to see Turner and go "SIX MONTHS?!?" is knowing what else gets people six months. I'm in partial agreement with you because I think it's a backwards way of thinking about justice; I think we do better as a society if everyone gets the sentencing of the priviledged.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

That probation is a prime example of why everyone hates D&D. Dude was making bad arguments, but they're still incredibly common arguments, and everyone else was still responding with good stuff that anyone lurking could read and understand.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

DeusExMachinima posted:

So this happened: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/17/pro_life_feminist_group_new_wave_feminists_removed_from_women_s_march_partnership.html

A pro-life feminist group wanted to join the Women Against Trump march happening in a few days, the WAT leadership put them on as a sponsor, then removed them after criticism. It's always interesting the tradeoffs and uncomfortable alliances that activists have to make in order to further their cause. Kinda like the Democratic strategy of getting minorities that trend socially conservative onboard with the party of gay marriage, etc. etc. because the alternative is the Republicans.

In this case the WAT leadership definitely made the right call although I wonder why they didn't make it from the beginning. If they do alienate anyone as a result of this move it's probably only a very small overlap between the Venn sets of pro-life women and women willing to vote HRC over Trump. And if they didn't they'd lose tons of support. So it seems like a no-brainer.

There's been a whole lot of this stuff, because yeah, they went into this with the naive idea of an big open umbrella. They're still pretending to be non-partisan, too, but everybody knows the deal, and everybody knows that if you're not on board with the partisanship you're gonna be really loving uncomfortable at the march. Looping any pro-life group in was just asking for problems.

On the same note, my feed has been blowing up all week because of subtle edits to the "guiding vision" document. For example, there was a line in there that said "we stand in solidarity with the sex workers’ rights movement." A bunch of people got really upset about that, including survivors of sex trafficking. So, they removed the line, and replaced it with "we stand in solidarity with all those exploited for sex and labor." So, the circle I follow got really upset about that, and now it says "and we stand in solidarity with the sex workers’ rights movement. We recognize that exploitation for sex and labor in all forms is a violation of human rights" and the former group is upset again.

Ooof.

[e: fixed wording]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 18, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lead out in cuffs posted:

On this note, have a story about succeeding in science as a woman.

(For context, Connie Eaves is now 70, so this is mostly describing events of 40-50 years ago, but it's still a bit :stare:). She is one of the most recognised names in her field, though.

There's a lot of survivor bias among leading women in science, so you get older women who are amazing for putting up with the kind of poo poo they did and succeeding in spite of it, but who also take a "poo poo sucks; gotta deal if you're gonna be a woman in science" approach to mentorship. In biology, we've now reached gender parity at the PhD level, but we lose women during their post-docs because they hit their 30s and lose interest in dealing with the work-life bullshit and biases.

One of the most outspoken advocates for women in science in my field is a trans male, which blares loud and clear how heavily the system fights and destroys outspoken women.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Still, there are huge issues with things like getting notes from a midwife and how much respect is given to the role. It's really sad to see.

The whole adversarial labor market that requires doctors notes in the first place is stupid. When I had a job like that during college I'd just show up, get everyone else and probably a few customers sick, then get sent home because I obviously looked like hell.

On midwives in particular, licensed midwifery is still a relatively new thing, so it's going to take time to catch up. Nurse practitioners have had to deal with the same poo poo even though they are true PCPs. It sounds like it's pretty accepted in your state; in MA it's not a protected term (last I checked) so you'd probably have a tough time getting people to accept a note.

It's a really terrible idea to support the deprofessionalization of medicine, so in states where there's no regulation beyond standard RN stuff (or where the regulation is just make-believe nonsense that the midwife lobby cooked up, like they're starting to do with naturopathy) then a note from them really shouldn't fly. The solution there is to get midwives treated legally as medical professionals, but I imagine there's no shortage of pushback there because idiots think of it as "lower".

[edit: uh, I just realized this was a very US centric post. oops.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 19, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Women's march in Boston hit ~125,000 people. Like the other big marches, it was too big to really "march," but it plowed on with its best attempt along the planned route. Police were cool, stuck it out, and kept the roads closed well past the originally planned time. It took an hour for my group just to get out of the Common.

Several great local speakers. Elizabeth Warren gave a solid speech that feels like the Dem platform going forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oGzqrVlxf0

Maura Healey, Massachusetts AG, particularly surprised me with the strength of her language, wish I could find a transcript of that one. Open threat to sue the administration if they gently caress around with rights.

Nkosi Nkululeko loving killed it too, first I'd heard of him and drat.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, and the most beautifully stereotypical white dude thing happened. A band is rocking out on the back of a truck, woman of color is there shouting "the people! united! will never be divided!" in time with the music (yes yes yes I know but it worked with the meter so shhhhhh) and the crowd picks it up. White dude with an ACLU sign around his neck has a goddamn megaphone and starts belting it out over the crowd, but badly off time with everyone else. Lasts about five times then he realizes that was a bad look and slinks away, where we caught up with him later down the march route, leading a new chant.

[edit:]
Boston march video: https://twitter.com/onlyinbos/status/822904774714621952

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 21, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Rakosi posted:

I don't have to kowtow to every statement you make to be an ally to your cause. Explain to me how suggesting he should go "plan his next rape" was even remotely constructive. You know, I really tried to put in effort and contribute with posts from within my area of expertise but it is apparent that even very slight differences in tone are not just unwelcome here but are considered literal accessories to sexual violence and such.

You are utterly, provably not on this forum to debate if this is your reaction to someone who has honestly tried to contribute, but has called you out on posting something rather extreme and ridiculous.

You're mad at her hurling an unconstructive insult at... LeJackal? I think you might not be aware what you're defending here. Unconstructive insults start to fly when one party can make the safe assumption this isn't in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

[edit: nevermind, a good post was finally made]

• Locked thread