Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

How does the concept of ally work then?

Well, it's more commonly used by people identifying their support for the rights of quiltbags or PoC who are themselves not. Though there are some weirdos who use it because they don't like referring to themselves as feminists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit. Misread a thing. Cheers for feminism

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

For another example see how this thread is already rated "poo poo' while the men's version of the thread, which is just a half-dozen men going "no take, only throw" over and over again doesn't have enough votes to be rated at all.

I just tipped it over and it's worse than this one. don't worry.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

kapparomeo posted:

A curious way to describe him. Does Milo's whiteness cancel out his gayness in determining how Oppressed he is? Is there a handy chart I can refer to to calculate how he scores less Subaltern Points than heterosexual females?

Nah Milo is just a racist piece of poo poo. Any further queries should be directed to literally any other thread.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Becoming Ugly

This was a great read. I pulled a few choice quotes, and as a man this one is pretty enlightening for me on the world I just don't see

quote:

In 2001, when I was about 14 years old, my male friends invented a game that went like this: one of them—and it was always the same one—would sneak behind me, slap me—and it was always me—on the rear end and run away as I sputtered, angry and humiliated... And so I turned and punched Tom directly in the groin... he collapsed to the ground, gripping himself, hissing, “You are a loving bitch. You are a loving bitch,” over and over again.
What we as women are forced to carry—because we’re vulnerable and because we are strong—goes beyond the natural disorder of things. Our suffering is not natural; it’s calculated and insidious—the passing of a bill, the protests of a college football team, the success of an actor, and verdict of a judge.
But I also can’t deny my current impulse to become as ugly and unlikeable as I can, merely to serve as constant reminder of the ugliness inflicted upon us. We’ve been told time and time again that prettiness and likability will protect us from harm, that to be good women, we must play by these rules, but this is a lie. .

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

1. Listen, you incredible nitwit. You simpering bufoon. You complete rear end. You misandrist. Damaging causes by being angry and aggressive is an actual thing that happens, you might not like it, but it's a huge turn off for people who ask questions to then get yelled at. It does, in fact, make other people less inclined to participate. And there is such a thing as being too big of an rear end in a top hat, that's not a tone argument. I would go so far as to say that if someone is turned off by your hostility and you trot this out you are straight up dismissing their legitimate feelings because they are inconvenient to you. Denying their lived exerience, as they say.

I know TB keeps meticiulous track of everyone she gets mad at but they should still be allowed to participate in threads, especially the one specifically created for their dumb questions.

2. that isn't at all what happened in that other thread and it's really unfair to declare discussion of the other thread taboo and then a bunch of people start mischaracterizing it in a place where we aren't supposed to be talking about it.
I hope it's clear I didnt mean any of those mean things I said defen. Just a rhetorical point:glomp:

botany posted:

drat those women, always ruining threads by having opinions

The only thing that ruined that thread was that people felt they couldn't have multiple discussions at once and shut the thread down instead of clarifying the genuine confusion some people had and having other conversations in parallel. This thread seems to be doing fine with pages and pages of not about feminism yet also super awesome effort posts and article links about feminism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Ah, so Nevvy got called a mean name and now he's going to poo poo up a good thread in retaliation. Cool cool.

I didn't get called anything. You literally have no idea what you speak of. A bunch of posters did get called stuff, but I think they were genuinely confused because I was too. I found myself agreeing with a lot of people I don't ever agree with in that thread who were being yelled at for questions that I wanted to know the answers to.

Tir McDohl posted:

I believe Nevvy is making reference to the massive amount of name-calling TB did.

More a rhetorical point about how sometimes someone is just being an rear end in a top hat and calling them on it isn't always tone policing. Like, tone policing is a bad thing, but that doesn't make a ton of name calling acceptable either and hostility isn't suddenly a productive thing just because someone tone policed someone once.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 30, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

the white hand posted:

drat, this is a crippling blow to feminism, it approaches "men and their petulant behavior" in its damaging effects.

Is that what you think I was trying to do there? Interesting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that "lesbian feminism" would be (is?) a subset of feminism. I don't think that's true of "transfeminism". I don't think there's anyone out there arguing lesbians aren't real women.

The people arguing that trans women aren't real women are wrong and trans feminism is a subset of feminism. There you go I solved your conundrum.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

The Swedish system makes sex worker unions illegal, for what it's worth.

That's awful.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Time did a piece on this recently too, not sure if it was shared here. http://time.com/money/4561314/women-work-home-gender-gap/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

So you're saying that your political opponents aren't rational and were only acting on emotional basis? That seems....very intellectually dishonest.

Personally I looked at the kinds of policies all candidates were proposing and I saw an unintelligent moron on one side and an intelligent warmongering corporatist on the other side.

Fortunately I'm not an American so I didn't have to make that sophie's choice but if I had to do that at gunpoint then I'd rather take the moron on the basis they he's too dumb to cause as much poo poo as the other person.

It's true but it's not something we should be judging them for. People caring about poo poo is why they go vote.

• Locked thread