Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Are white people wearing dreadlocks a feminist issue? Because I really hope not, otherwise it sounds like this thread for feminism is more of a tool for social control rather then something worthwhile like believing all people are equal and should be treated equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

it's certainly an issue of basic sense

If you mean dreadlocks are terribly unsanitary and shouldn't be worn at all, sure I can accept that position, I disagree, but I understand. If you mean dreadlocks should only be worn by certain kinds of people I'll call you a bigot.

Either way, it seems like they intersect feminism in the "people are equal" way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

stone cold posted:

BBG, notorious troll, is a whiteboii who wears dreadlocks.

I don't think you're posting in good faith, though, so get out.

I am familiar with bbg. However what I don't like is the idea of "feminist policing."

The implication that you can't be a "real" feminist if you do X, or you don't do "Y" where x and y are strictly personal decisions.

You saw it in earlier aspects of feminism where a stay at home wife was anti-feminist. Or where prostitutes were excluded from feminism for whatever reason. Or just recently in the presidential election where not supporting the correct candidate meant you weren't a feminist.

Feminism isn't a club. It's a way of thinking, and it can coexist with a lot of lovely opinions, like racism or capitalism.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

falcon2424 posted:

People horrifically misuse the term 'intersectionality', but the idea could apply here.

The core idea is that women don't face a single set of stereotypes and pressures. Soujourner Truth is pointing out that stereotypes like, "Women are Weak" aren't universal. Really, the stereotype was that white women were weak. Black women weren't helped into carriages or expected to faint.

She's pointing out that black woman's experience isn't just "white woman" discrimination plus "black man" discrimination. It can be its own thing.

There's tons of horrible messaging out there about black women's hair. That's as much a feminist issue as the "white women are physically weak" stereotype.

So, it's totally plausible that some messaging about dreadlocks is a feminist thing.

Sure I'll buy this, but dreadlocks aren't exclusively a black woman thing, hence why I see that particular line of attack bizarre.

As far as intersectionality between racism and feminism, I am well aware of the out of touch "champions" of feminism completely dismissing other groups, such as Black Lives Matter, or DAPL protests.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

stone cold posted:

Can you actually cite some examples that are worth discussing? Because you're honestly hijacking the discussion and trying to shut feminism down in all its forms.

Have you considered getting out?

Literally every single post you've made has been telling the people to get out. It's telling that you are exactly the wrong kind of person to discuss feminist issues with and yet you made this thread.

Guess what? Feminism doesn't need gate keepers.

Also if you are not aware of the media framing and the political hostility to both DaPL and BLM maybe you should listen more and tell people to "get out" less.

As far as discussion goes other then exclusionary feminism that I mentioned earlier there isn't really anything wrong modern feminism. After-all it's pretty easy to understand and support.

What are the major disagreements these days?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Holy poo poo you are terrible. I am a BLM activist and you absolutely may not invoke me and my struggle for your bullshit hysterical whining that a feminist conversation is happening. Go gently caress yourself and get the gently caress out you ignorant piece of poo poo.

:lol:

You are not the arbiter of who can "invoke" a movement you entitled piece of poo poo.

BLM isn't about you. It's about forcing racist politicians to finally pay attention to the damage their "tough on crime" dogwhistle policies have cause since the 90's.

It's not a safety pin you wear on your online persona, and much like feminism it's not a "club" you should join for brownie points.

Its also not the subject of this thread, so unless there something specific you want to debate and/or discuss re:feminism, I'll leave it there.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rush Limbo posted:

Yo Powercrazy, if you want something with a feminist bent to discuss we could discuss how defenders of pedophilia actively promote patriarchal power dynamics by trying to justify the over-reaching sexualization of traditional "youth" signifiers in society. Men already have an implicit belief in their natural entitlement to women's bodies, particularly if they are of an age deemed sexually acceptable, so the extension of such acceptability to children, particularly young girls, is a very big problem.

That might be an interesting topic to discuss.

Seems like a lot of projection on your part tbqh.

But yea sentencing disparity in the legal system between men and women is at least tangentially related to your creepily specific concerns, so can we discuss that instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I've been around here for a good while now and do you know that I can't recall ever seeing you make a substantive post about a civil rights issue even once?

Same. Other then you using civil rights as a bludgeon.

• Locked thread