Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you need to deal siege damage to the underworld entrances or do they fall pretty readily to any kind of damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Glazius posted:

Do you need to deal siege damage to the underworld entrances or do they fall pretty readily to any kind of damage?

Well, like you saw, no siege is necessary but it does take a minute or so to tear them down with just hack. In this case I'd say that's worthwhile since otherwise I'd have to tech all the way to heroic age and then build a hill fort.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

It's important to remember that organized religion, with codified dogma that is reinforced over its entire geographic area, is much less common historically than you'd think. It didn't really hit the west until Constantine manhandled his bishops into agreeing on a single version of Christianity. So all the various Greek cities told different versions of the myths because in a very real sense Ephesus and Athens didn't have the same religion, they had different religions that shared many common elements. I mentioned Ephesus specifically because it's a pretty noteworthy example of the gods we know being worshiped very differently. There was a very popular earth mother style goddess called Cybele in the non-Greek parts of Turkey, which Ephesians adopted from their neighbors. Except they wanted to worship their own gods instead of foreign ones, so they decided that Cybele, as a female goddess associated with nature, must be Artemis (who is basically nothing at all like an earth mother in the version of the Greek pantheon you usually hear). Artemis-as-Cybele was the main cult in Ephesus even, and produced some very striking religious art, such as this:

Add to that that cities would take particular gods as their patrons. One of the reasons Athena generally shows up in a good light these days is that so many of our sources are Athenian.

Heck, there might very well be an island out there with a myth concerning an evil trickster or trickster god who washes up, gets welcomed into the home of the chief, gets everyone rip roaring drunk and then puts his scheme into action. His accomplices put sheep hides over their coats to fool they eyes of the herders they are not spotted and successfully made the entire herd flee at once so they can rustle the lot. The trickster then successfully diverts suspicions by desecrating the temple leaving specific messages and ends up causing a blood feud with the island next door which takes a couple of generations to sort out.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Brokk and Eitri star in their very own prequel campaign, based even more loosely on the only myth they appear in!

The Golden Gift Mission 1: Brokk's Journey

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

This was a pretty fun set of missions. Decently tough and, as you pointed out, less linearity than most of the main missions.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Those Ox-carts really didn't want to go through the wall, did they?

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Terrifyingly efficient as ever.

I don't know if it's new or not but there were a few times that the game sound effects rather overpowered your voice; particularly in the beginning. Still a great watch; I don't think I've ever played this mini-campaign before.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's nice that they were actually able to get some good storytelling out of their maps. Fuckin' Folstag, anyhow.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Skult wasn't telling the truth? You can't trust anybody these days!

The Golden Gift Mission 2: Eitri's Journey

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Wouldn't it be faster to skip the first wolf by landing behind either the red or yellow army or would that be too many hits to take for your kraken?

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
That mission took me literally hours.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Asehujiko posted:

Wouldn't it be faster to skip the first wolf by landing behind either the red or yellow army or would that be too many hits to take for your kraken?

Potentially, but it’s extremely risky! The trouble is actually enemy krakens which can outrun and instant-kill my transport. The enemy fleet patrols in unpredictable patterns, so I decided to take a certainty of success over a possibility of saving a few seconds but possibly losing everything.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
So I've been trying to record the new episode for weeks now, but I keep running into problems. Right now the biggest issue is that the game stutters to an unplayable degree. This has been going on for over a week now and I've tried changing around all the graphics settings and a few other fixes to no avail.

My only guess about what caused this to begin is a big set of windows updates on 5/17, but that's just speculation.

Has anyone else had trouble running AoM lately? Does anyone have a fix or workaround?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Melth posted:

So I've been trying to record the new episode for weeks now, but I keep running into problems. Right now the biggest issue is that the game stutters to an unplayable degree. This has been going on for over a week now and I've tried changing around all the graphics settings and a few other fixes to no avail.

My only guess about what caused this to begin is a big set of windows updates on 5/17, but that's just speculation.

Has anyone else had trouble running AoM lately? Does anyone have a fix or workaround?

I found a good way to fix programs is it try running them through dxwnd. You can play around with the settings in there to try and work it out. I mostly use it to window old programs, but some games off gog only work when I run them through this.

Other thing might be a driver update killed it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm not getting any noticeable fps drops on either the next campaign map or the map that I think has the most objects on it/most triggers(titans map 11 with it's many many decorative objects and location triggers), try doing a clean reinstall of the game)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good luck getting everything back up and running! That was a neat little blockade run you did there, nicely tactical.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The Golden Gift Mission 3: Fight at the Forge

I'm finally back! With technical difficulties replaced by AI bugs!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Says the video is 'unavailable', without giving a reason?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Lynneth posted:

Says the video is 'unavailable', without giving a reason?

Odd, it's definitely set to public.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is working now.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Eitri, when they say the only way to win the game is not to play. I don't think they meant it like this

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

10 minutes of only a dude or two slippimg through only to reveal the world's largest army caught in a dumb pathfinding bug. God bless you, you stupid siege weapons roadblocks.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
What is the AI bug that makes this mission so hard?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, it worked now. Youtube probably had a glitch or something on my end.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Nuramor posted:

What is the AI bug that makes this mission so hard?

Good question! Basically they use their infinite resources to produce units and upgrades at full speed from numerous buildings instead of acting as though they have limited resources. So they attack about 3-5x as hard as they're supposed to.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Melth posted:

Good question! Basically they use their infinite resources to produce units and upgrades at full speed from numerous buildings instead of acting as though they have limited resources. So they attack about 3-5x as hard as they're supposed to.

Does the AI get the infinite resources on Hard, too, or just Titan? When I did this on Hard I got attacked maybe 3 times total, usually by less than 8 units each time.

The trolls around the map were more aggressive than Eitri after I started scouting a bit.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Melth posted:

That mission seems a bit buggy in general... I somehow don't think you're meant to be able to just randomly build a Wonder. What happens if you do build one?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is the AI bug present only in this mission, or does it exist elsewhere in the scenarios as well, waiting to strike?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Glazius posted:

Is the AI bug present only in this mission, or does it exist elsewhere in the scenarios as well, waiting to strike?

Didn't Melth say it was in the next level too?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

White Coke posted:

Didn't Melth say it was in the next level too?

Yes. Speaking of the next mission-

I still haven't finished a good run of it. It's really difficult because they attack with a giant army and Nidhogg in under 5 min.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Use this mission to show off the various cheats that the game has

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Simsmagic posted:

At the very least, show off the flying purple hippo.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Simsmagic posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure being Melth is cheatmode.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.

Soylent Pudding posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure being Melth is cheatmode.
I set my account name to 'Melth' and the game auto-completed all the campaigns for me while begging for mercy. True story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
A few people have been asking when I'll be getting to the Titan's campaign, and the answer is after the China campaign. For now I'm still trying to get a good run of Loki's Temples, not one that takes two hours. I've got a clever strategy in mind, but it needs more testing and refinement.

• Locked thread