Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Technowolf posted:

Don't units garrisoned in building regenerate very slowly, or am I thinking of another Age game?

Virtually nothing ever regens in this game. Even heroes don't outside the campaign.

Extended Edition MASSIVELY buffed the few sources of regen that did exist though. Like they're all twice as good. Here are most or all of them:

Odin's human soldiers and only Odin's human soldiers regenerate. The rate was originally really slow and even worse in combat, which you should try to be in all the time as Norse, so I didn't find that very worthwhile. Particularly because Odin and only Odin among the Norse has no access to Forseti with his awesome mass-healing permanent god power. Now though the rate is actually a noticeable 1.5/second. Most human soldiers have <100 HP, so one minute will take a guy from critically injured to full. That's pretty great. Combined with actually getting his ravens in Archaic now for THE best scouting in the game, I might actually play Odin over Loki.

Behemoths did at 1/second, which is useless. You'd need to wait 5 minutes for the thing to heal up if it was even half dead. In Tale of the Dragon they buffed the regen rate to 2/second which is still lousy. Especially because it's almost impossible to get the slow guys back out of a fight alive.

As Atlanteans the otherwise lousy (but ALL the Heroic age Atlantean gods kind of suck, so he can be viable) minor god Hyperion can grant a regen rate of 1.5/second to heroes only. Now it's 2.5. That's major regeneration and it will be awesome in the campaign. In multiplayer it will be nice since the heroes are expensive but squishy and are most enemies' favorite targets.

And as Atlanteans the rather bad Hecate can grant 2/second regen for myth units. This is pretty small considering their oodles of hitpoints, but it's still solid in absolute terms and their generally good armor means every hitpoint goes further. Or it would be except that most Atlantean myth units are horrible. It IS the only way in the game to heal a Titan, so bragging rights there. Still, I don't think I'd ever willingly pick Hecate over Helios and I don't even really like her better than Atlas considering that Atlas is the only Atlantean god that grants a town or army-wrecker power.

This reminds me that a lot of changes were made in the Extended Edition and some of what I've been saying only applied in previous versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Healing a titan for 2 health a second? Wow, that's crazy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It always feels a little dirty to just wreck enemy structures and have them not notice until you cross a line.

Though I suppose it reflects the amount of attention you can pay as a human player, too...

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I've been trying to figure this out on various BBCode sites but haven't found an answer yet so far. Is there a way to make my table of contents prettier by having the youtube links look like the chapter titles?.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You can stack tags. Do the usual url=thingie you do for hyperlinking words, but use the image tags instead of the word. Like this:
code:
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVPt2a49Two][img]http://lpix.org/2659979/header.jpg[/img][/url]
to get

which leads to your first video if you click on it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Melth posted:

I've been trying to figure this out on various BBCode sites but haven't found an answer yet so far. Is there a way to make my table of contents prettier by having the youtube links look like the chapter titles?.

Shameless self-plug:

(quote for code)

Make an image (as simple or complicated as you like) with the chapter title, the put the URL around it. People can then click the image to get the video!

Or did you just mean this?

Tutorial Mission 1: Hunt for a Killer

I put another tag in to show how they can be nested.

Image is neater

EDIT: too slow with the tags!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Excellent, thank you both of you.

I had an amazingly awesome idea for the next chapter, but alas my plans seem to have been foiled pre-emptively. I'll have to come up with something merely startlingly awesome instead.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I just torched Troy in a frontal assault, no horse needed.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I take it minotaurs were involved in this

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ooooooh boy I can't wait.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

...Could we turn this into the new thread title?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Horses? Horses!? We don't need no stinkin' horses!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Melth posted:

But I thought you needed cavalry to perform rescue chains? :v:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Lunethex posted:

I take it minotaurs were involved in this

For the finishing blow, yeah. Manticores did most of the hard work.

anilEhilated posted:

...Could we turn this into the new thread title?

Tempting! Is that actually possible?

Samovar posted:

Horses? Horses!? We don't need no stinkin' horses!

Did you ever see UHF?

Edward_Tohr posted:

But I thought you needed cavalry to perform rescue chains? :v:

What? I taught you guys better than that! Like 50% of my first-turn moves on any given Fire Emblem chapter are infantry rescue chains to score small but critical amounts of free movement!

Smiling Knight posted:

Ooooooh boy I can't wait.

I actually have something arguably even cooler planned for the 'official' run of this mission. I do have some screenshots and several clips of the storming Troy directly run, but it's a really long battle, so I think it's best left to an edited-down side video or something.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Melth posted:

Tempting! Is that actually possible?

PM a moderator, they're usually willing to do it.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The new video is
1) Finished
2) On time
3) Awesome
4) Thumbnailed with a new logo
5) Posted here for you to watch and then lavish praise upon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cINsV49pmCA

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Dunno about the script, Arkantos really starts pulling horses out of nowhere. It would be pretty easy to ease it in, too - just mention the stores were torched by Trojan cavalry or something.

Video obviously impressive as hell, this is quickly becoming my favorite ongoing LP. I particularly like classifying the Aeneid as a Homer fanfic.

e: Is this the first time we see Gargarensis? Gotta admire a villain who can bend space and time to snatch poetry.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 30, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I love seeing this game broken over your knee like that.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Gargarensis actually quotes one of my all time favorite poems: Lepanto, by G.K. Chesterton

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/47917

You can also hear this pretty kick rear end reading of it: here

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You really managed to clean up with Ajax on that mission!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gargarensis is a good bad guy.

Also, speaking of unique missions. That's something I really appreciate in a good RTS. One of the best examples has to be Starcraft II which has serious effort put into making the missions feel unique.

Also also, if you're planning on doing side videos where you do missions the Wrong Way, would it be possible to see Gargarensis' base trashed without using God Arkantos?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

anilEhilated posted:

Dunno about the script, Arkantos really starts pulling horses out of nowhere. It would be pretty easy to ease it in, too - just mention the stores were torched by Trojan cavalry or something.

Video obviously impressive as hell, this is quickly becoming my favorite ongoing LP. I particularly like classifying the Aeneid as a Homer fanfic.

e: Is this the first time we see Gargarensis? Gotta admire a villain who can bend space and time to snatch poetry.

The Aeneid was well written for the most part. The Inferno, now that was bad fanfiction

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

That stealth speedrun was amazing. It was kind of funny having to wait while they slowly tore down the wall when everything else was so fast - getting the towers, killing the first fortress, and nuking the second and third fortresses from orbit.

Nice timing on the horse, too, having exactly the right number of houses for your workers.

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of balance issues with the game - "here's this specialized unit, it's normally absolutely worthless. And this one too". A shame.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Qrr posted:

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of balance issues with the game - "here's this specialized unit, it's normally absolutely worthless. And this one too". A shame.

This is, unfortunately, a problem with many RTS games, even ones that are normally considered great. Company of Heroes, for example. Great game. It also had plenty of units that saw essentially zero use at high levels of play.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Building multiple production structures is not only expected, but required. You need to be able to build counters to properly engage the entire army (or just lots of Hades bows, but that's a counter to most things.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm glad you scheme for the thread Melth.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Aeneid was well written for the most part. The Inferno, now that was bad fanfiction

To really appreciate The Inferno, you need to understand the local references it makes. Then it becomes hilarious.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's an amazing case of personal beef-based metaphysics. Dante was a rather spiteful person.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it's an amazing case of personal beef-based metaphysics. Dante was a rather spiteful person.

Well it's half that, but a lot of it just seems to be a weird mashup of B-list Greek mythological figures in Hell for no reason. Capaneus makes it all worthwhile though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting hearing you talk and seeing you demonstrate the precise food and worker strategies to speedrun.

Looking forward to the Sam & Max-less version of this mission where you don't free-associate a wooden horse.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Glazius posted:

It's interesting hearing you talk and seeing you demonstrate the precise food and worker strategies to speedrun.

Looking forward to the Sam & Max-less version of this mission where you don't free-associate a wooden horse.

I think that's three people now who thought the way they came up with the horse was a problem with the script. I never had an issue with it myself so I'm curious what you guys think is wrong with it.

To me the silly part was always the Trojan horse itself. Like most of Odysseus's 'clever' ideas it always struck me as both needlessly complex and completely dependent on luck. The ultimate in 'blind' luck in his plans was of course introducing himself to Polyphemus as 'nobody'.

There are so many levels on which that shouldn't have helped at all, but even if we're willing to pretend that it was perfectly plausible that the other Cyclops would really fall for it and ask no further questions when the screaming Polyphemus said "nobody is killing me", a bigger problem remains. Any other cry for help either more or less coherent would have doomed the lot of them! A simple "help, help!" or "He's killing me" for example. Or just wordless screaming and thrashing about. Or "nobody and his men are killing me!" And especially "The strong-greaved Achaeans who brought their hollow ships over the wine-dark sea are killing me with sharp bronze." Now of course it was actually sharp wood, but he was blind and had no way of knowing that and my first guess if a bunch of armed men stabbed me in the eye would probably be that they used their weapons rather than a random log from the fire (and also I couldn't think of an epithet Homer used for wood).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite bit is Dante feuding with Pope Boniface VIII IRL, and woops, hey, how'd he get in the eight circle of hell?

Not too mention Beatrice being the Mary Sue of a woman he met twice and really never got over

Melth posted:

Well it's half that, but a lot of it just seems to be a weird mashup of B-list Greek mythological figures in Hell for no reason. Capaneus makes it all worthwhile though.

Dante was Italian, heirs of Rome, and his favorite author was Virgil. Virgil wrote The Aeneid which tells the story of how Rome was founded by Aeneas, a Trojan survivor. Who caused the fall of Troy? Odysseus, who was Greek. And hey, why did Odysseus end up in the eighth circle of hell? hmmmmmmm

world's first self-insert fanfiction

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Melth posted:

I think that's three people now who thought the way they came up with the horse was a problem with the script. I never had an issue with it myself so I'm curious what you guys think is wrong with it.

To me the silly part was always the Trojan horse itself. Like most of Odysseus's 'clever' ideas it always struck me as both needlessly complex and completely dependent on luck. The ultimate in 'blind' luck in his plans was of course introducing himself to Polyphemus as 'nobody'.

There are so many levels on which that shouldn't have helped at all, but even if we're willing to pretend that it was perfectly plausible that the other Cyclops would really fall for it and ask no further questions when the screaming Polyphemus said "nobody is killing me", a bigger problem remains. Any other cry for help either more or less coherent would have doomed the lot of them! A simple "help, help!" or "He's killing me" for example. Or just wordless screaming and thrashing about. Or "nobody and his men are killing me!" And especially "The strong-greaved Achaeans who brought their hollow ships over the wine-dark sea are killing me with sharp bronze." Now of course it was actually sharp wood, but he was blind and had no way of knowing that and my first guess if a bunch of armed men stabbed me in the eye would probably be that they used their weapons rather than a random log from the fire (and also I couldn't think of an epithet Homer used for wood).

I thought the other cyclops (cyclopses ?) just thought Polyphemus was really drunk, so him screaming about Nobody hurting him, or Nobody and his men, no seriously guys his name is Nobody, would have just made them treat it all as a joke.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

No, no. Worse.

World's first Twilight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

I said it before, it comes out of nowhere. There's no relation between the previous dialogue and Arkantos babbling about horses.
And it'd be so easy to just shoehorn it in by way Trojan cavalry or, hell, just having a riderless horse run past the camera, or mention that since the Trojans raided their stores they'd be reduced to eating their horses... Possibilities are endless here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

anilEhilated posted:

I said it before, it comes out of nowhere. There's no relation between the previous dialogue and Arkantos babbling about horses.
And it'd be so easy to just shoehorn it in by way Trojan cavalry or, hell, just having a riderless horse run past the camera, or mention that since the Trojans raided their stores they'd be reduced to eating their horses... Possibilities are endless here.

I don't quite understand you here. They're talking about a hopeless situation, and there's an implicit moment of Arkantos thinking "I'm sure as hell not conceding defeat (gifting my horse) to those assh... wait a second..." which Odysseus (being, well, Odysseus) picks up on right away since he's been thinking up something similar (cause, you know, he did come up with the idea on his own in the usual Troy myth). Through Arkantos' short explanation, we're given enough information to be able to deduce this.

You can argue that the authors could have done a better job of conveying that implied step, but they din't really have a lot of tools to do that without just saying it out loud, which would have made the scene longer than really needed.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Those have a far longer and far more ignominious history!

White Coke posted:

I thought the other cyclops (cyclopses ?)

I believe (and I'm only saying this because you asked, not because I actually want to be pedantic about this) that the Greek plural would have been cyclopes. Also, I believe all Greek Cs were pronounced like Ks, so it's kyklopes. I've been rather inconsistent about pronunciations and pluralizations throughout this whole LP anyway.

My favorite bit is Dante feuding with Pope Boniface VIII IRL, and woops, hey, how'd he get in the eight circle of hell?

One of my favorite bits of Machiavelli is in Discourses on Livy where he's like, "It's true we Italians don't take Christianity very seriously. You wouldn't either if you lived next to the pope!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Or have had Arkantos be a mounted hero who is usually around on his horse, nevermind that he's an admiral.

Amusing thing about this arc of the campaign is, Arkantos is here representing Poseidon, while in the skirmish Ajax is a hero Hades sends and Odysseus is sent by Zeus.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 1, 2017

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Melth posted:

While of course it "Nobody is killing me" is contrived, it worked for me because it is appropriate for Odysseus myth-wise. By that I mean, in contrast with the other Homeric heroes, Odysseus is willing (to a degree) to obscure his heroic nature -- see also his beggar disguise, which you wouldn't catch someone like Ajax dead in. Therefore, the Cyclopes episode is another incidence of Odysseus' willingness to break from heroic norms serving helping him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Melth posted:

It's not that by itself it's bad, it's that rapid-fire leaps of logic are often done for comedic purposes, as seen here (you can stop watching at the credits).

• Locked thread