Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had no idea this game had a tutorial like that. :v:

Kinda embarrassing considering how much time I've spent playing the campaigns. Didn't know about diminishing returns on worker building and praying either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AoE2 is also full of hidden modifiers and multiple projectiles issues. Did you know that a ranged attack bases the damage on what the attacker has when it hits? So if you pack up a trebuchet before the rock lands it'll deal 1 damage because a packed treb has no attack value. :v:

You can check out SpiritofTheLaw for AoE2 mechanics. He has done a lot of setting up things with the editor to find out and check stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Magic was fun in Oblivion if you hit an enemy with a weakness to magicka, fire, frost and shock spell and then with a second identical spell which got more effective and then the first again for even more power before using the neat wizard's fury spell which did all three types of damage and just blasted the enemy to bits from stacking up vulnerabilities.

Melth posted:

This sounds like Oblivion where you'd sneak-attack shoot an arrow at someone and then spam-click tab, open the weapon menu, and pull a sword out right before the arrow hit so it would give you the sweet x6 melee sneak attack multiplier instead of the lame x3 ranged one. But in reverse. And yet still more practical because archery was TERRIBLE in Oblivion.
That sounds hilarious. I don't suppose it works in Skyrim with the x15 dagger multiplier? :v:

I really liked hydras in AoM, they're not great from the get go but they work wonderful on maps where the enemy spawns crap infantry from destroyed buildings.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 29, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You could have showed off the kraken's special ability against normal soldiers. But there will be more chances. :v:

I had no idea armor upgrades benefited heroes too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

That reminds of that one Titans mission where you can cheese it by building two specific units and then completely nullifying the mission's gimmick. [Note: may be more than one mission where this is possible]
The easiest mission you don't even need to make any units at all beyond what the mission objectives say, but if really you to want one type is more than enough even on titan. The difficulty is all over the place. Hmmm, we might be thinking of the same mission. You need two bird cages. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Greek mythology comes up in all kinds of (un)expected places:

quote:

Meet Colette, a young doctor. Since she's the only doctor in town, she has to attend to everything, and quite honestly, she thinks she needs a break. One day, she's so frazzled that she jumps into a well. But, she didn't die? Instead, she finds herself in the underworld, where she encounters Lord Hades. Somehow or the other, she becomes Hades' doctor. Follow Colette in her new (though still busy) life, now with Hades thrown into the picture!
:japan:

But regardless, if you're familiar with the Heroes of Might and Magic series you'll know that a lot of creatures you can out in your army are based on Greek stuff (big surprise, like in all those other millions of games) but there are both gorgons and medusae in the game. And they are completely different. The medusa are the regular snake lady with bow you could probably expect but the gorgons are big weirdly colored bulls who live in a swamp. It's kinda strange. They do have a good death stare ability however. :shrug:

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 4, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's incredible. And insane. Incredible insane. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sounds like you should consider replacing the hard drive. But I think you can run some check or scanning program(s) to see if it's faulty. :ohdear:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You do need a lot of muscle strength to draw a bow properly. So naturally most games makes it entirely dependent on dexterity/agility. :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Healing a titan for 2 health a second? Wow, that's crazy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

my dad posted:

I like Red Alert 2. I also like Age of Mythology. I also like Empire Earth. I also like Warcraft 3.
Yes, but Empire Earth 2&3 are bad. They took out so much stuff from the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I booted up 2 recently since EE1 is entirely unplayable on Windows 10 as far as I can tell :(
It should be very much playable on 10, I've played it just fine on three separate computers with it. The game does not like very high resolutions however. Try lowering the setting a little, and then a little more if it still doesn't work. It was with the GoG version if that matters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice to see you do the mission the same way I do it, not that there's much choice. :v:

Interestingly Warcraft 3 changed centaurs from drunken Greek thugs to bloodthirsty steppe nomads and the Heroes of Might and Magic series followed suit from the fifth game onwards.

Melth posted:

Also the Homeric Greeks were TERRIBLE navigators. I mean in the stories Menelaus sets out from Turkey to Greece and winds up in Egypt.
:psyduck:

"We sailed to Turkey by having the coast on the left side of the ship so to get back the coast should definitely be on the left side of the ship. :downs:"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, it's perfectly possible to lose on the fixed party missions. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Melth posted:

I've been trying to preserve the sounds of my mouse clicks (and sometimes even to add replacement clicks back in where I had to delete some of the originals)

Please leave them out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That is fast. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

Hang on, Medusae? Shouldn't they be called Gorgons?
It's a tradition in games to call them meduase. Also they might not be the best units, in this game at least, but they're really cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hey, fences are serious obstacles. :v:

Personally I like to play as Egypt, even though the slow trickle of faith is kinda annoying.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

e: ...Is that a loving son of Osiris? Titan really pulls no punches.
Yes, and fighting for Set too. Which makes no sense whatsoever. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Won't they make adapters for them? Sure you only get the old speed and such but it should still work, right?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Melth posted:

8) Comparisons to Atlantean Citizen are really complicated and contentious. Citizens cost 3x as much as other races. They're about 3x as tough, but they only gather and build about 2.5x as well and they walk REALLY slow. So that's a sucky deal on the face of it.

One perk though is that they don't need any drop off points. That saves a tiny bit of money and also makes their effective gather rate slightly better. How much better is impossible to calculate. For gold it's basically no help at all since anyone can just slap down a drop-off point right next to a gold mine. Compared to a newb or lazy player who doesn't build new drop sites often enough the bonus for food or wood could be substantial, but for skilled players it's nearly no bonus at all.
On the contrary, that is very much possible to calculate. The youtuber Spirit of the law has done a ton of those kind of videos for Age of Empires 2. You just need to set up a lot of tests. :eng101:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can trade the giant sword for a really strong guardian... or what's in the box. :v:

Could you also attempt to run up to the wall and sneak teleport the sword in behind the defenders? Or is that too risky?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Elephants count as normal units for those abilities? :stare:

Also I had forgotten just how much the AI loves to have inconvenient Isis monuments.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The anubite ambush looks really cool when they all jump in. Wheeeeee.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

Aw, you missed out my favourite part about that legend! Namely, Horus defeating Set by castrating him with his bare hands.
One hand around the throat and the other around the balls and then pulled until one of those gave up?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's far preferable to very rigid railroading into doing what the devs intended to be the one and only true way to do a mission.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Melth posted:

In conventional play I found that I could actually obliterate the pirate base, destroy the lighthouse, grab the osiris piece, and get to the gate with it in about 12 minutes or so- well before the osiris piece would be moved deeper into the giant enemy base.
Even I can do that.

Not on titan difficulty of course. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've always liked this mission because it's fun to build up and then assault the island with catapults, elephants, chariots and as many myth units as I can afford. The AI not attacking is really boring though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Even the ultimate and most powerful air unit is kinda crappy. But after all my countless hours of Warcraft 3, this is better.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It kinda feels like the beginning of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy to me. You could have avoided the war if you had gone to our field and listened to the ritual, in latin. If you can't be bothered it's not our fault we're burning your towns and salting your fields.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can pick the god who gives you a flying transport to get villagers to the colossal island. If you're actually so slow that you have time to advance the age. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:stare:

I shouldn't keep getting surprised at this point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Completely right. It does need micro to be moved around and is a little slow so you don't really gain that much by having them instead of storage buildings.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't suppose any hero will take a sip when they are there? :v:

Bacchante posted:

I can't help but feel that the Fall of the Trident would be really fun as a D&D campaign.
Yeah, I've thought the same.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never managed to beat it above normal difficulty. :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Don't feel shame in that. Take it from someone who regularly feels inadequate in gaming. Even the jump from Normal to Hard can be rough. And Titan regularly tends towards the BS.
Yeah. Weirdly enough I had no real problems beating the rest of the game on hard. Titan always seemed way above my skill level, and judging by all these videos: it was/is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ssmagus posted:

Empires was drat good game, I still have my CD's for it. Too bad it straight doesn't load on win 10.
The GoG version does. :)

But I wasn't very impressed with the game, it mostly felt like a more modern version of Empire Earth with even more "dumbed down" options for units and buildings. To make it clear I didn't hate it or anything, I just didn't like it particularly much. Oh and the Korea campaign was indeed the best.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, that was quick. Insanely so, as usual.

Using the underworld gate like that saved a ton of time. Nice. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you like setting up fortresses and towers and watching the enemy haplessly die in droves before them it's wonderful. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow. I usually lose both my allies towns before finishing this mission. There's a hidden timer which sacks them one after the other with earthquakes I believe. Nice work, as usual.

achillesforever6 posted:

The credits for AOM are pretty great, especially towards the end when it just shows the developers and voice actors loving around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVP9H34xVI
Who wrote this, is he twelve? :allears:

• Locked thread