Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Makes me realize how different an era of gaming AoM came from. I guess the balance must've been enough of a clusterfuck because nobody even tried to play it competitively as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

There was definitely a limited competitive scene, but obviously nothing like what you had for something like Starcraft or WC3.

Was there? I remember that the AOE2 competitive went on for a long time, even though the multiplayer was a complete lag fest.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I don't think you need to vocalize what you're doing as you do it, an explanation of why you're doing what you're doing is fine. A little silence while there's nothing going on is probably fine because there's going to be a ton of moments where there's nothing going on and that's just the nature of the genre.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Video seems fine. I really liked the unit comparison and stat discussions.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I was thinking more of having to employ actual strategies. You know, use the terrain, fortifications that control the surrounding area and so on. Age Of is really just sending horsies to enemy resources while the enemy does the same with yours.

I'm not talking about strategies being cheap or not - just that it's really boring to watch when it becomes all horse raiding parties all time as opposed to actual armies clashing. I call it the Warcraft 3 problem - there's very little actual strategy when you're just trying to get a bigger blob of units than the enemy currently has.

The AOE formula is heavy on raiding more because of how ridiculously tanky buildings are rather than anything else. High level play was about fortifying your resource points so I don't get your point about there not being "strong points." Its just that in the game you hold points so that your resources can't be raided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Poil posted:

On the contrary, that is very much possible to calculate. The youtuber Spirit of the law has done a ton of those kind of videos for Age of Empires 2. You just need to set up a lot of tests. :eng101:

Testing != Calculation :colbert:

• Locked thread