Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

On fire giants posted:

Sidenote, it won't even activate vs heroes

A ways back, but...aren't Heroes entirely immune to most myth units effects? Like they will not trigger no matter what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

You don't want to fight mission 3 on Titan regularly. I'm not even convinced you can. The 'initial attack' is something like 8 Hippikons, 4 Bull Minotaurs, a bunch of hoplites, and Shades. God knows if it keeps that up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I accept the evidence given.

But am still very much 'HOW?!".

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

And, needless to say, he was not a wimp who "forgot his spear" as the bio of his Age of Mythology version amusingly states.

The bio doesn't say 'forgot'. It says 'lost'.

The fact that he can still beat the hell out of people with decent damage unarmed speaks well of him. His damage is listed as 8 base. Ajax with his giant mace is 10. Arkantos is 9.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Multiplayer is a very different beast to single-player as well. I've been vaguely watching various bits about. Fighting the AI, it's one thing to use counters and win, but players won't engage you at all.

It tends to turn into lots of horses or equivalent and raiding, due to sheer mobility.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

drat, that's a shame; this is what I ended up disliking about AoE2. Are there any historic RTS games where actual tactics come into play? Total War series, I guess...

Depends what you mean by 'tactics'. A unit counter system? Resources that CAN or CAN'T be raided? Production that allows for you to continue even if you've somehow been cut off from a resource? Units that CAN or CAN'T get away if you've managed to catch them once?

I mean...You cite Age of Kings. There's a reason Knights and such ruled the roost back then-they packed both mobility and power. More than this, in Age of Kings and in Age of Mythology, you can completely starve a player, utterly shut them down, if you can keep them from a single resource; Gold. Is taking advantage of this 'cheap', or 'sensible'?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 4, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I was thinking more of having to employ actual strategies. You know, use the terrain, fortifications that control the surrounding area and so on. Age Of is really just sending horsies to enemy resources while the enemy does the same with yours.

A lot of games give terrain bonuses/penalties. And using fortifications is a standard. The thing is, those fortifications also need to be able to be taken down.

I've been playing Empire Earth 1 and 2 lately, and my thought is it might potentially provide what you're after. Especially 2, where it's fortresses are absolutely brutal murder machines, and are often required to control a province fully(The game uses an odd system of map control-the map's all divided into 'provinces' with their own names. Some might need merely a City Centre. Others will need a Fortress in addition. Buildings go up faster in regions you control properly. There are hard limits on what you can build where, and how much, so you must expand.)

Warning: The AI is known to be an utter cheating bastard, as in 'it doesn't even try to hide it'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

What do you expect from the equivalent of a mod campaign. The people who made this aren't Ensemble. Not that 'Ensemble is God' or anything, of course. But you can't expect the new stuff to gel with the old stuff no matter how hard it tries.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 7, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Golden Gift was a mod, people actually got paid for ToTD. Yyyeah.

Golden Gift was made by Ensemble. Used to be a download on Microsoft's site. Now it's on download sites all over.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Later I found out you're supposed to do that mission by stealth.

Loki's Temples? There's only one way into the enemy base and one way out. How exactly does this translate to 'by stealth'? I ask this having beaten that on normal recently. Does he get Underworld Passage or something?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Cythereal posted:

The Egyptian campaign also varies up who the patron god is a lot, between Isis and Ra.

Set may be a jerk, but worth noting that like Hades, in the original mythology he wasn't evil. The Titans expansion alludes to it in a way, Set is your patron during the Egyptian mission there.

Even the help notes that the Ra/Set thing was probably a clash of early cults that then got turned into this massive thing afterwards.

Much like the Egyptians themselves, the Egyptian part of the campaign up to and including it's gods, is basically doing it's own thing.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 12, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

but faster if empowered.

It's not a direct speed boost, mind you. It's just the Pharaoh makes them more efficient via their 'generate extra resources on drop-off' part of Empowering. Also those numbers and that page have the implication: Priest Empowering via Ra is equal to Pharoah empowering'. But the Priest info on that same site states Priest Empower is half as effective, so those values come down a little. Ra's Pharaoh also come up a little in that case, as it's 25% vs 20%.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Slaan posted:

But why would you ever NOT use laser crocodiles? :confused:

When their fire speed is too slow and their damage too weak(They do 1/4 damage, before his own Pierce armour, which is base 50%) to take down a chain-lightning spewing demigod with a massive damage bonus against laser-crocodiles and protections against the same. Up to 300 damage(60 base, x4 vs myth) chain-lightning is not to be trifled with. Even a human army is going to suffer terribly.

And the enemy has 3. It's almost hilarious, really. Titan is...really, really ridiculous and don't think it's actually kinda easy because Melth makes it look like a joke. Even if you know what's coming, dealing with it is...oy.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 27, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Melth posted:

!!!

I never played this game but I heard of it once and it sounded cool, yet because I don't know the name I could never find out anything about it.

Rise and Fall: Civilisations at War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4S8hxcTaQ&list=PLUrUX2JIzi4dE4zUa05kQlhCn1gnHD6-b

Released 2006. Somehow released for free with ads 2008. Somehow the US Air Force was involved with this.

Extra fixes are required to get it working thanks to issues. Frankly, I've given up on it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 25, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Resources, generally. Of course, it may be given some by trigger.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The campaign AI tends to 'spawn' troops rather than 'train' them. That sounds like semantics. Think of Isis Hear My Plea; you get given them. This can break the cap and cost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Poil posted:

I've never managed to beat it above normal difficulty. :downs:

Don't feel shame in that. Take it from someone who regularly feels inadequate in gaming. Even the jump from Normal to Hard can be rough. And Titan regularly tends towards the BS.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 13, 2018

• Locked thread