Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wasn't Hades's kidnapping of Persephone some kind of marriage ceremony at the time? Also, I distinctly remember Persephone actually being in love with her gloomy husband, though considering the variance in retellings this isn't really saying much. But yeah, on the whole Hades was a lot nicer than most of the Greek pantheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheCog posted:

I mean there's the bit in the odessy where he locks a few score men in his ballroom and almost singlehandedly slaughters them if memory serves. Although I think they were unarmed?

To be fair those were a bunch of noble slobs looking to stick their dicks in his wife, not battle-hardened Trojans, and IIRC Odysseus was getting help from his son.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wasn't there some special trick to the bow stringing (suitors hate it)? I seem to remember something along those lines.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I never even noticed any clicking :downs:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Melth posted:

I dunno. Zeus is a horrible husband, but Hera is just a horrible person in every way to everyone all the time. And I can't think of a single redeeming feature she has, whereas Zeus does show that when the chips are down he actually has the guts to face giant monsters like Typhon while all the other gods chicken out and run away. Or punish various wrongdoers and so forth.

To be fair, that's just because the Greeks were horrible misogynists- hell, wasn't Medusa punished for the crime of being pretty enough to rape? I'm sure that if there were any myths that portrayed Hera in a good light, the vast majority of them would've been stamped out.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What about the Egyptian pantheon? From my limited knowledge, only Set was an rear end in a top hat.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Melth posted:

Which just goes to show he really is both the nicest and the most reasonable god.

He really is, on both counts. Seriously read the myth of Orpheus- despite all the tragedy and angst of the whole situation, it's clear that Hades is both deeply in love with his wife, and doing his best to help a dude with a bad situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The one I heard has Hades not wanting to let Eurydice out at all, because what kind of God of the Underworld would he be if people could just walk in or out. However, Persephone wasn't having any of that, and asked Hades to consider what if he was in Orpheus's position, and Persephone was in Eurydice's, which was when Hades had a change of heart, and gave Orpheus the simplest trial he could think of, and that he could legally give. Unfortunately Orpheus was too suspicious at how simple the trial was, and too horny to not want to see Eurydice's tits, so of course he looks behind, fails the test, and has to wait until he dies before he can be reunited once more.

With all that being said though, Greek myth is a mess, and it's quite possible all the versions of the myth being discussed here were told somewhere and somewhen in the Hellenic area.

• Locked thread