Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

The one black sheep for smiths seems to be in Norse mythology. Wayland the Smith (Völundr), was crippled and chained in a kings basement to make stuff. He killed the kings sons, made goblets from their skulls and may or may not have also raped the kings daughter. After he left he then went on to make most of the cool swords in Norse mythology.

To be fair, that's not out of character for any Norse deity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Melth posted:

Computer adventures continue!

After a day and a half of trying different things to solve the audio-visual desync (Which I eventually figured out was caused by VIrtualDub), I finally resolved it with a different program. I went to bed with Zarx encoding the fixed video to an MKV so I could upload it... and woke up to a system diagnostics screen warning me my hard drive had failed and no operating system was detected.

A restart seems to have resolved this completely, but I think you'll understand that I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

This isn't any kind of practical crisis for me because I have an old computer I can fall back on and because I've backed things up religiously ever since I almost lost my 2200 line epic poem last summer, but it might get in the way of updating on schedule. We'll see.

On the positive side, yesterday was totally awesome.

You might want to check you hard drive's SMART status to see if it is actually dying. Here's a good list of monitoring tools, including free ones.

And, like Poil said, you should really look into replacing the drive soon.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Don't units garrisoned in building regenerate very slowly, or am I thinking of another Age game?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I booted up 2 recently since EE1 is entirely unplayable on Windows 10 as far as I can tell :(

The hero system was just weird in it. Why the hell did they scale them differently so you have a fifteen foot tall Winston Churchill stomping around?

I think you answered your own question.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Melth posted:

You mean you don't ship him with Ajax?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I suspect that the variants of the myth that have the palace of Byblos being a temporary resting place for Osiris' body didn't come out of people thinking it made a better story, but rather out of Byblosians wanting to insert themselves into the myths of their neighbor, possibly while said neighbor ruled them. You see the same thing with Rome claiming it was founded by Trojans in order to insert themselves into the Greek mythic world (while still remaining distinct from the Greeks).

One theory I heard of a long time ago was that the different variations of the myth were actually separate myths that were created by the various city-states of the Nile region and when they were unified the priesthood just decided to mash all the different myths together.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just wanted to let people know that the Extended Edition is currently on sale for $7.49 on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

This game is only $7.50 on Steam until Monday.

• Locked thread