Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh, wow. This game ate so many hours of my childhood, and there was a Chinese expansion at some point? Huh. Watching with interest.

I can't be the only one who liked playing skirmishes and cheating so I could get a billion uses of the trapdoor spider power because I loved the screams and animations of the spiders grabbing people. Makes a fun chokepoint defense for a wonder victory.

There's some brutal death animations for an RTS like this when certain myth units and god powers get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

And a mythology many of us are going to be less familiar with, though I knew some of it myself since I'm also a Chinese classics man. Well sort of. I've read a lot of the Chinese classics, but I don't actually like any of them.

My mythology of choice is Aztec myth, which would make for a fun potential expansion.

You could do a pretty good sequel with Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Chinese, Aztec, Celtic, and maybe Indian mythologies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

I really liked hydras in AoM, they're not great from the get go but they work wonderful on maps where the enemy spawns crap infantry from destroyed buildings.

That's Poseidon Greeks.

I usually go Zeus, though, mostly so I can go Hera. You might be surprised what size things medusae can turn to stone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

I mostly go Hades so I can get 3 divine archery upgrades (Ares, Apollo, Artemis) on top of his and then used maxed out Gastraphetes and Toxotes to kill everything.

The thing about Medusae is that there are a LOT of myth units with instant kills. Even counting only the ones like Medusae that also work on myth units there are Medusae, Mummies, Arguses, Lampades, and I think there might be a Chinese one I'm forgetting. Oh and Frost Giants are pretty close. And Perseus for heroes.

A lot of those myth units have shorter cooldowns on their instant kills or have extra range to them or extra perks like how the mummy turns the enemy into little guys who fight for you or the Lampades who make the enemy go crazy and attack their former troops.

Medusae (why do we call them that instead of gorgons anyway?) just don't standout too much from that crowd to me.

Thing is, when I play Age of Mythology I have a penchant for sadism and the gorgons' petrification amuses me more than most instant death attacks. I like kraken, arguses (argi?), mummies, and heka gigantes for the same reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HannibalBarca posted:

Hannibal is cooler

Boudicca or bust.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asehujiko posted:

The game of my childhood! I was never good enough at this or aoe2 to do the higher difficulties/online stuff on account on picking civs based on how cool their wonder looks and only building fancy looking castles populated by the best units(5 villagers per resource is plenty, right? Gotta save that population for all my minotaurs :shepface:)

Kronos or Thor, end of discussion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Zeus does, however, offer the Bolt power. During my brief experience with multiplayer, I enjoyed using Bolt on Nidhogg and the Son of Osiris far, far too much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Orv posted:

Typically even in the most skimish-esque mission, enemy civs don't get god powers. Not as freely used, at-their-discretion ones anyway. Because of the story arc of the campaign, pretty much all god power use is scripted in some way or another. Most of them don't even get attributed to an enemy civ, just being fired off as a mission trigger. And in later missions, sometimes they're fired off... well, a fuckton. AoM has, for my money, one of the finest story RTS campaigns ever, even better than WC3 (fight me). But as a result of that, you never really just sit down and duke it out with a hands-off AI. The second mission of the AtlanteanGreek campaign, and a couple in the Atlantean campaign (I really need to get around to doing the Chinese campaign) are as close as you get to freely loving around until you go crush the enemy base. Almost every other mission has some direct opposition to your just sitting around, jacking off and building units. Not that that stopped me.

I'm not sure about the finest, but it's certainly a really good story that benefits from its choice of setting well. We're about to embark on the longer, drunker brother of the Odyssey and Aeneid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

One thing I really wish they implemented given all the stupid hidden values is heroes having bonus damage against the mythological beasties they've slain in their stories. I mean, it would probably make the endangered species butcher-in-chief Heracles a tad OP but it'd fit the game perfectly.

Eh... Nemian lions, hydras, and karkinos are all in this game, but Heracles can't actually attack stymphalian birds. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This thread made me dig out my discs for the first time in years, and I forgot terrain deformation is a thing. I'm not sure if it's possible for Heka Gigantes to turn terrain downright impassible, but they're building a heck of a mountain at the key chokepoint leading to my wonder. :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

One thing I do know about Heka Gigantes is that all their terrain deformations can be instantly undone by building something on or near the spot.

Good to know! The friendly AI in this game is also surprisingly robust, once I finished my wonder my two AI teammates started sending troops to help defend it while the enemy team AI locked its attention on the wonder.

Shame Oranos' wonder is so lame and doesn't seem to be anything from history or myth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, the campaign gets pretty wild as it goes on. It's a shame they didn't frame it that way - I can imagine Arkantos pulling a Baudolino and just telling someone about all the awesome poo poo he might have or might not have done over a beer somewhere. This way, someone who takes their history or mythology seriously miiiight pop a couple veins.

Eh, I think it's pretty clearly set up from the word go as a mythical tale. This is the legend of Arkantos and his journey, even if it's not explicitly presented as such.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh. I'm preferring to think this is Arkantos' son or some such telling the story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One mythologically accurate note I do love about this game, though, is Hades. Hades in modern media tends to be more or less Satan in a toga, but while a Greek god is one of the primary antagonists behind the scenes in this game, it's not Hades. Sure, hostile Greek factions tend to worship him, but that's nothing on Hades himself. Like in Greek myth, Hades is essentially a neutral, dutiful god who never shirks his responsibilities. The actual antagonistic Greek god is likewise one with a well established track record of being a major dick in Greek myth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And this game also features the Norse gods, who are just as bad as the Greeks! IIRC it's Thor who's the main supporter of the heroes during the Norse part of the campaign.

Actually, that's a tough call who's a bigger bag of dicks: the Olympians or the Aesir.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HannibalBarca posted:

Has anyone on SA kidnapped a woman to live with them in the basement, eventually reaching an agreement with the woman's mother for each of them to have her for six months at a time?

I'm partial to the Dresden Files interpretation of events: it was a completely legitimate love affair and marriage, Demeter was just an overbearing mother who couldn't bear to see her little girl leave home and subsequently was an incredibly irritating mother-in-law.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Then again, this is a book series where Odin is literally Santa Claus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Fixed that. Anyhow, gamey strategies like that are why I never really got into RTS multiplayer - thankfully AoM has a good, long campaign for me to slowly turtle and linearly progress through.

Until you get to the Norse campaign, at least. The Norse are all about blood for the blood gods and sneer at concepts like "strong defenses."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For reasons shown in this video, Dionysus is I feel one of the least balanced god choices in this game. If you're planning to do any serious fighting at all in the heroic age and you have access to Dionysus, it's hard to justify not taking him. Hydras and scyllas are terrific myth units, bronze is a great power, bacchanalia isn't a bad perk (small, but universally applicable), and he comes with the Greeks' heroic age naval myth tech. Plus if you're into cavalry, he has a bonus for that, too.

Aphrodite is justifiable if you're not on a naval map (or you're Hades and therefore don't have access to Dionysus) and aren't doing serious fighting, as her benefits are all economic and the Nemean Lion isn't a bad myth unit. But Apollo... I always have a hard time choosing him. He offers a lot of benefits, few of which (Sun Ray benefits his myth unit) have anything in common. He's part of the Hades archers from hell strategy, and none of his benefits are bad, but I feel what he offers just isn't worth it compared to Dionysus and Aphrodite.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Please tell me you got video of that.

Agreed, I'd like to see it.

Poil posted:

That's incredible. And insane. Incredible insane. :stare:

I suspect hydras were involved. Lots of them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunethex posted:

Reminds me of the archer hero in Myth: TFL. His flavor text was "... but it was ki'Angsi alone that stood up to the challenge and strung the giant's bow; the great yew shaft that no two other men could bend."

Ironically, despite being a talented archer, Heracles in this game has no ranged attacks. Meaning he is helpless against the Stymphalian Birds, one of the monsters he slew as a Labor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Atlantis has a couple options for healing, both available if you worship Oceanus (so Kronus is out of luck). Servants are naval myth unit healers that are decently tough but have a weak attack and heal naval units faster than they do land units. Caladriae are flying healers with no attack.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

I said it before, it comes out of nowhere. There's no relation between the previous dialogue and Arkantos babbling about horses.
And it'd be so easy to just shoehorn it in by way Trojan cavalry or, hell, just having a riderless horse run past the camera, or mention that since the Trojans raided their stores they'd be reduced to eating their horses... Possibilities are endless here.

Or have had Arkantos be a mounted hero who is usually around on his horse, nevermind that he's an admiral.

Amusing thing about this arc of the campaign is, Arkantos is here representing Poseidon, while in the skirmish Ajax is a hero Hades sends and Odysseus is sent by Zeus.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 1, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Whoa, dang. Are you going to have an underground adventure next?

More like underworld if memory serves. :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Also, the clearly dead character is recruitable in DLC later on for nonsense reasons.

And despite her being amnesiac and pretty clearly brain-damaged, the male PC can marry her and have a kid with her. >_>

Just as well that Age of Mythology doesn't have a love interest for Arkantos, knowing how mythical depictions of romance tend to go. The Percy Jackson novels have maybe the best depiction of a mythical god of love I've ever read - Cupid is an rear end in a top hat whose bow is a weapon of war and he has a more than passing resemblance to Thanatos, the personification of death.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

You mean you don't ship him with Athena?

Arkantos has a grown son whose mother he never mentions, so I figured he's a widower. From the way he's described, Arkantos is probably pretty up there in years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

His wife was killed by pirates. Possibly he had some other children who were killed (or maybe kidnapped or something) as well since the description says that the pirates 'killed his wife and left Kastor as his only heir'. That might just mean his wife is no longer an heir though.

And he's 44 while Kastor is 14 according to their descriptions.

Ah, never looked that closely at their bios.

And seriously, I am pretty glad Age of Mythology steered clear of putting a love story into this game. Classic myth tended to have some very... different... ideas about love and relationships than modern Western sensibilities prefer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

To be honest, I felt like the Atlanteans were kind of uninspired in terms of myth units. Just B-list Greek stuff that was terribly balanced or outright nonfuctional in some cases. Like satyrs. Those were complete trash and didn't even work as advertised. A lot of their god powers were pretty lame too, though there were definitely some cool ones mixed in.

I always thought Atlantis in this game was supposed to be totally-not-Rome to get in the Roman side of classical myth - it works well in the Percy Jackson books. When I play as the Atlanteans I usually don't use myth units much at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

Some of the Atlantean units are conceptually really cool (automatons), but end up being wet farts in practice.

Caladrias are helpful at least.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Tremendously since the race has no other healing at all!

Servants, for boats only and available from the same god. :v:

Still, I'd have preferred seeing something like Aztecs or Celts instead of Atlantis as an expansion race.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nth Term posted:

Which should really be called Catoblepas. The whole name mix-up originally comes from Dungeons and Dragons, and the RPGs based off of it.

DnD then later introduced Catoblepas as separate and distinct monsters. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of gorgons, I wonder if the three here are meant to be a nod to the original three from Greek myth.

Medusae in this game might be iffy units for the most part, but I do love their petrification sync kill and this mission is perfectly designed for them to shine. With proper micromanagement, medusae can hard counter other high-end myth units and if I remember right, their ranged attacks deal some crush damage as well. If you're facing a lot of powerful myth units or souped-up human units like Norse jarls of doom, medusae can be worth it.

Hera's not a bad choice in general, imo. Carcinos are pretty nice on naval maps, and monstrous rage is a nice tech. I think her biggest problem is that she's only available to Zeus and fights with Hephaestus, who's a much more straightforward choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Egyptian campaign also varies up who the patron god is a lot, between Isis and Ra.

Set may be a jerk, but worth noting that like Hades, in the original mythology he wasn't evil. The Titans expansion alludes to it in a way, Set is your patron during the Egyptian mission there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Norse actually have a separate gatherer that's better at mining gold and worse at everything else, just to pile more fiddliness on top of building with their infantry.

Unless you're playing Thor, in which case knock yourself out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Indeed, they don't really add much but nuisances to the game. That's true in most RTSes that have them that I can think of. As usual though, I think WC3 did something much better with them. The amount of strategy that went into various drop-point guarding tactics and base layouts and so forth in that game and the sheer number of raid tactics and counter tactics it created were remarkable.

One reason I enjoy Supreme Commander so much. When your only resources are mass and energy, no drop-offs are needed. Act of War also had a pretty unique spin on it, one of your main sources of cash was capturing enemies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a lot of weird sex in Greek, Egyptian, and Norse mythologies that this game wisely skips over. Egypt's may be the strangest of the lot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

What if all mythological struggles were periodically broken up for sportsball and kart racing, but nobody ever wrote it down because it all seemed so obvious after those Egyptian fellows spelled it out?

Also, the Aztecs may have put a certain damper on it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Not sure I understand

The Aztecs had a ballgame that was also a religious ritual - the winning team would be sacrificed to the gods. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

I thought it was the losing team who got sacrificed.

Eh. I've heard it both ways.

But tbh, most of the accounts of Aztec religious rituals we have are from Spanish conquistadores, who are... probably not the most unbiased observers of Aztec religion.

Aztecs would make a neat addition to an Age of Mythology 2, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

It might be hard to give them enough human unit variety. It was kind of a key plot point in history that they had no cavalry of any kind for starters. People have been talking for 15 years about wanting to add the Aztecs or the Celts or (before the expansion actually did it) the Chinese or some other favorite pet civ to this game though, so I'm sure someone has already thought of a solution for that.

In my opinion, a sixth group wouldn't really add much to the game. This may be because they had my two pet civilizations from the beginning. I also don't think there's really a lot of room for a sequel, but I would be delighted to see further refinements and rebalancing of what we already have and maybe a new side campaign or two like The Golden Gift.

Regarding the ball game, I have also heard it both ways. Kind of like whether defeated gladiators were killed if given a thumbs up or thumbs down. I hope someone can give us a definitive answer to those questions before 2028 when I can run for president and begin my reign of terror.

My hypothetical Age of Mythology 2 would just ditch Atlantis as a civ, and I think it would be just fine if one of the Aztecs' gimmicks was that they'd have no cavalry - perhaps making them exceedingly dependent on their heroes (jaguar warriors spring immediately to mind) and myth units with a weak human core relegated to support roles.

Probably have a civ setup along the lines of Greeks, Norse, Egyptians, Chinese, and Aztecs - maybe the Celts or Persians. There's a lot of interesting stuff in Arabian, Persian, and general Middle Eastern mythology that could be fun to plumb for ideas, but I'm unsure if there's really a good civilization to represent any of those bodies of myth.

• Locked thread