Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Glad to see this lets played, I love AOM, it really got me interested in reading when I was younger, I usually ended up spending hours reading the little myth entries.

I also remember playing skirmish mode and just spamming Atlantean dual sword units, they died in droves and I never really learned that Atlantis was "few good expensive units" faction until I started playing with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
While we're on the subject of Hephaestus, I remember when I was a kid looking up mythological gods on Wikipedia and one of the common threads I noticed was that while most myths had their gods acting like dicks, almost consistently the blacksmith god of various mythologies tended to be the more chill of all the gods.

In Sumerian mythology you have Gibil who apparently was so wise the other gods came to him for advice.

In Irish myths Goibniu makes badass weapons and is known for throwing the best parties for everyone.

Ilmarinen, the Finnish god of forging is said to have made an item called the Sampo which could bring great luck to people. He had to make it to win a fair maiden's hand in marriage, but she didn't want to leave home so he went and made a gold wife, but found she was cold and distant. He made cool stuff but had poo poo luck at love.

In Vodoo you have Ogou, who is also the god of pioneering, intelligence, justice, medicine, and political power; these are associated with the symbol of the tool that can advance humans' mastery over the environment. In the Yoruba religion he is said to have been a mortal king who after killing some of his subjects, killed himself in remorse and now helps out anyone who needs a hand.

In Egyptian mythology, Ptah depending on which time and kingdom was either a really powerful craftsman god, or the actual being which created the physical world people reside in.

In Shinto, the Inari Ōkami is the kami of foxes, fertility, rice, tea and sake, of agriculture and industry, of general prosperity and worldly success. With Buddhism in Japan, Inari is also associated with protecting temples.

The one black sheep for smiths seems to be in Norse mythology. Wayland the Smith (Völundr), was crippled and chained in a kings basement to make stuff. He killed the kings sons, made goblets from their skulls and may or may not have also raped the kings daughter. After he left he then went on to make most of the cool swords in Norse mythology.

• Locked thread