Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

Was there? I remember that the AOE2 competitive went on for a long time, even though the multiplayer was a complete lag fest.

I bounced around between third and tenth on the AoM 1v1 ladder for around six months right before Titans came out, the scene existed but it wasn't huge.

I was actually planning to LP this but I never got around to doing the legwork, so I look forward to this.

My favorite time with this game ended up being a weird thing where a bunch of human players played a handful of outnumbered highest difficulty AIs and it was just a huge, hours long meat grinder hell. Good times.

E: Also the AoE2 competitive scene is actually still going thanks to AoE2HD (even though it's busted in MP) and stuff like Gameranger and Voobly. They even held a tournament a week or so ago with some old school names that have been playing AoE2 for the last decade and a half.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Melth posted:

The Atlanteans do actually have near perfect parity with the Greeks in terms of human soldier price and quality so I'll give you that, but they have spammable heroes who are barely better than human soldiers and then THE TRASHIEST spammable myth units. Every single Atlantean myth unit is garbage in a fight. But they're cheap and you get favor just for existing anyway, so it's ok!

Behemoths were really good, relatively cheap siege fodder. Trouble is you have to go Rheia.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Melth posted:

I can't say I've ever liked Behemoths at all; their damage is just too terrible and they're too slow and fragile. But luckily Rheia has some sweet improvements to offer and very little competition because the other heroic age choices are mostly worse. Unless you're using lots of cavalry, then Theia is amazing instead.

Prometheus + Hyperion hero cheese spam was always a favorite of mine, but 10% more favor is hard to argue with.

Part of my brain is given over to early 2000s RTS bullshit, mostly various rushes, and it always makes me sad that modern RTSes have kind of gotten away from allowing that kind of thing. They were never exactly effective, but they were always hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYNtZNiE5a0&t=330s

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 29, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Do enemies get one god power per Age, same as you? Or can they just spam out half a dozen of them on later maps?

Typically even in the most skimish-esque mission, enemy civs don't get god powers. Not as freely used, at-their-discretion ones anyway. Because of the story arc of the campaign, pretty much all god power use is scripted in some way or another. Most of them don't even get attributed to an enemy civ, just being fired off as a mission trigger. And in later missions, sometimes they're fired off... well, a fuckton. AoM has, for my money, one of the finest story RTS campaigns ever, even better than WC3 (fight me). But as a result of that, you never really just sit down and duke it out with a hands-off AI. The second mission of the AtlanteanGreek campaign, and a couple in the Atlantean campaign (I really need to get around to doing the Chinese campaign) are as close as you get to freely loving around until you go crush the enemy base. Almost every other mission has some direct opposition to your just sitting around, jacking off and building units. Not that that stopped me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It gets so wonderfully, scenery-chewingly stupid that I forgive many of its very large flaws.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would love a reason to play this again, sadly the EE didn't get the same MP revival AoE2HD did.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Set is Abu Simbel, a pair of temples in southern Egypt that show up in basically every Egypt-related movie, because they sort of exemplify hilarious overconstruction without showing the pyramids.

Odin is the most piteous representation of Valhalla ever.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Google reveals all.

http://ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_(Age_of_Mythology)

Apparently the Atlantean wonders are just some nonsense that vaguely makes sense for the gods.

Kronos, god of time! Kind of a clock nerd.

An evil clock nerd.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anachronisms are the least of the brain melting offenses to logic and reason the campaign of AoM makes, don't worry about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a goon marriage joke to be made in there, but this is as far as I'm willing to go.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Assyria. :v:

Really though, pretty much all the old polytheistic religions have myths of their gods doing incredibly hosed up poo poo. Hinduism maybe, by virtue of relativity, rather than generally being chill? I admit I'm not as up on my eastern mythology as I am my western.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are we going to ignore the various family members cooked into stews, the backfiring beastiality plans, the various illegitimate children of Loki, and so on and so forth? I grant that the Aesir, as a whole, are not huge dicks. But if you dig into the smaller stories they do some hosed up poo poo on the regular.

Of course then you have to have a discussion about just how deep you want to dig because most of it is fifteenth hand Christian after the fact retellings and... mythology is dumb yo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh it's just our lovely cousin, we barely know him!

Is actually a pretty common mythological refrain, I guess. So yeah, Aesir win.

E: Though I don't appreciate your tacit giant racism. :colbert:

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 4, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dinictus posted:

I'm kind of on the fence about this game. I mean, it's a wonderfully made product of its time. It is going to be a bonkers ride with regards to its story. And this LP will feature more information behind the veil of the stats and the performance, and some lovely info on mythology from other fans of the material. But poo poo like this would make me pull my hair out in frustration. Game balance being this muddy, complicated and evasive just is not fun, and I both am enjoying and am boggled at the effort people like yourself and others have made just to more effectively play this game.

It's not really that much more effective. Because AoM is really just AoE2.5 with a bunch of gory, golden serial plates welded onto the door mirrors, the insanely (impressively) detailed breakdown of things like the Fire Giant don't really super impact things that much in regular play. Battles are still decided pretty much 100% off the surfaced counter system, even with the bizarre quirks involved that people did know about back then. It's still an Ensemble game, you're still smashing huge groups of dude together, countering when you can and just having old school RTS fun. If it bothers you because you know it's there, then go with god, but if you can just ignore and it play with the mechanics the game tells you about, you'll still do totally fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

I understand the idea of tech levels but the names seem weird in a story-campaign context.

They make slightly more sense than leveling out of feudalism during the AoE2 campaigns. Only slightly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fast Heroics are also a concept in AoM, though they're mostly done by a select few gods, for very specific purposes. A very good Isis FH can clock in around 6:50 (I think that's right, it's been a while. It's under 7:30) and lead to a really ugly situation for the enemy players because of the power of migdol (egyptian castle) units.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 10, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean let's be real here, gently caress Night Elves and everything they stand for.

But yeah, typically you want to have a strong economic base in AoE/AoM even when doing a FC/FH, since ideally you want to still be interacting with your enemy during your boom. Nobody wants to get flushed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samovar posted:

I thought the Atlantans curried favour from Posideon, not Hermes.

You'll be able to drop Tartarus through some plot holes by the end, I wouldn't worry about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The free hand of the market!

You can trade resources in the market, prices are dependent on how much has been sold recently, so if you sell a ton of food you'll get less gold back. Though the price crashes and bottoms out less severely than say, Sins of a Solar Empire. Ostensibly in a total hell of a match that would be the final resort, an entire food economy supporting the other three resources, but in reality even the largest FFAs possible would struggle to reach that point.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah late game a good chunk of what was once your villager pop will be converted into caravans. And then of course someone will be a nuisance and not surrender when they're beaten so you have to go corner hunting for their markets, if they're not the last opponent for omniscience. No I'm not bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's AoE2.

• Locked thread