Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Melth posted:

The next video is finished: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rth5yGf3ezk

It took me a while this time since I spent a lot of hours trying to make sure the sound was better than last time. Do people have any thoughts about ways the commentary could be further improved, or things that are already good about it to keep doing?

First the good:
You are very informative.
You know exactly what you want to say and don't waste time beating around the bush.
Your good at filling the (mostly) empty space that was just waiting.

The Meh:
You sound overly formal (is English your first language?). Loosen up a bit and try to add some energy to your voice.
You talk a little to fast. This goes with being too formal. Just loosen up, and slow down. You don't have to match your voice exactly with everything happening on the screen. Things can come a little before/after and we will get it.
Timing - try to talk about more in-depth topics while nothing is happening (although your doing a good job)

The Bad:
Topic Transitions- You don't really flow between topics in a smooth and organic way. You often say what you are going to talk about next. For example, the phrase "let's talk about damage types" can get you out of a bind or transition from an off-topic to damage types. However, when you use it while you are already talking about unit stats, it just feels jarring/not-smooth. You need to work on flowing from one topic to another without having to stop and say what your going to talk about next. This will help immensely with transforming your presentation from that of a school project, to more of a fun-exciting conversation about AoE.

Personal Advice:
Don't blow all of your topics talking about them in the thread. Specifically save stuff for your videos to create thread discussion when the time comes. You'll notice many LP'ers do this to keep the thread a constant buzz. So if someone asks a question and your thinking of writing a big effort-post response. How about saving that response for when that question can be talked about in a video. For example, you can fill a lot of time talking about Egyptian laser crocs when you first see them, but most of your viewers will be bored by it now because they already read your post about them. Try to consciously think about how you are going to space out your content.

twig1919 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Melth posted:

To the person who suggested I be less formal by the way, I'll try (and I'll also keep trying to get slower, though this already feels unnaturally slow to me) but that's just how I talk most of the time. I really even say things like 'Let's talk about X' in everyday conversations.

I think that loosening up is something that will happen as you get more familiar/comfortable with it. Its just something to keep in the back of your mind. If you talk a certain way normally, then don't try to change that for a video. Also, I was trying to mention less about the particular words, but rather more about how you transition from one topic to the next. That particular example just stood out to me because you seemed to verbally transition from talking about unit stats to talking about unit stats :).

I think that just slowing yourself down will help with those things though. I am similar in that I also generally talk fast, but through some practice I found out that I get ideas across in a much clearer and concise manner when slowing down. Your commentary might start feeling slow to you, but it takes a lot longer to process and understand what you're saying as opposed to just hearing the words.

Again, we're more nitpicking you here. Your doing a great job explaining all of these mechanics I was much to stupid to understand as kid. I always upgraded my units all the way before I started to build them :(, now I know that was really dumb.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
Did your computer get moved/knocked over? Did you run any updates to your OS or operating system? Did you run a virus/malware scan (I recommend malware-bytes)? Did you update any software?

• Locked thread