Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Knight posted:

Also, if you want any mythological background -- I took a fair number of Greco-Roman myth classes in undergrad, so I'd be happy to do an effort post or two on the Trojan War or general gods/heroes stuff.
There's also an encyclopedia of sorts in the game - same as with AoE. This one can get a bit creative on facts, obviously, but I do remember some of the entries being pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Everything is TERRIBLE in Oblivion.
Just wanted to say this got me to buy and fire up the Extended Edition with the new expansion pack so thanks. Used to love AoM, the remake and update completely bypassed my attention.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

I mostly go Hades so I can get 3 divine archery upgrades (Ares, Apollo, Artemis) on top of his and then used maxed out Gastraphetes and Toxotes to kill everything.
Stacking stupid amounts of upgrades on a single unit seems to be a pretty solid way to play. My favorite build in AoM involved Odin and Heavy Cavalry of Doom.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Isis was a favorite because of her crazy Monument bonus? Anyhow, it was always Odin for me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I really wish they implemented given all the stupid hidden values is heroes having bonus damage against the mythological beasties they've slain in their stories. I mean, it would probably make the endangered species butcher-in-chief Heracles a tad OP but it'd fit the game perfectly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Anachronisms are the least of the brain melting offenses to logic and reason the campaign of AoM makes, don't worry about it.
Yeah, the campaign gets pretty wild as it goes on. It's a shame they didn't frame it that way - I can imagine Arkantos pulling a Baudolino and just telling someone about all the awesome poo poo he might have or might not have done over a beer somewhere. This way, someone who takes their history or mythology seriously miiiight pop a couple veins.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more along the lines of setting Arkantos up as an unreliable narrator would help deal with all the mythological inconsistencies he stumbles into.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the only gods I can think of that weren't complete dicks were Hades, Hephaestus and maybe Athena (whom I only really recall messing with Arachne but she really had it coming).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've got something for you to talk in another video: you seem to play for maximum efficiency (army to pop cap and so on), what's the idea behind the numbers you use? How many villagers in average for a resource, how many villagers can pray and not be wasted manpower, what's the minimum army sizes you'd use?
I know it's mostly up to the situation but there's gotta be some general guidelines; basically the I (re-)got the game to play along with the LP and I suck at efficiency.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 8, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well drat. That was fast.
I hear what you're saying with Scyllas but Krakens will always be the cooler scourge of the sea. Plus the rest of Dionysus kind of sucks with a myth unit that levels up and a god power that does not benefit your big myth units.

e: Thinking of counters, IIRC there is a lategame upgrade accessible to everyone that gives ships bonus damage to myth units but I have no idea how effective that is, plus it comes an age later.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 9, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

I mean let's be real here, gently caress Night Elves and everything they stand for.
Fixed that. Anyhow, gamey strategies like that are why I never really got into RTS multiplayer - thankfully AoM has a good, long campaign for me to slowly turtle and linearly progress through.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just wow. Thirding the hope for a video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

It's a triviality compared to many of the later levels I'll be showing. I can win a frontal assault on Atlantis Reborn
Is that the second map of the expansion? Because I'm really looking forward to that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried doing post-commentary? Saves you the audacity hassle and it lowers the load on your system when playing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that Helepolis really lived up to its name. The videos only keep getting more impressive.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was a bit too sophisticated. The fact Hermes is a pretty lovely minor god doesn't help either.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Knight posted:

Yeah, Odysseus is the sneaky, subtle guy by the standards of epic Greek heroes. He can still mow down dozens of men before breakfast.
That's really it - the standards. Can't be a Greek hero unless you're a mass murderer (and nobleborn or a god's offspring but that's a different matter). That being said, Odysseus is an interesting character because while he does his fair share of slaughtering people, he shows some reluctance since he didn't want to be there in the first place. Hell, he even tried to cheat the draft delegation by feigning madness. His heroism at the field of battle seems like a token effort, something that has to be there - but the primary characteristic is that he's smart, something rather uncommon in mythology.
All in all, I think he's the most "modern" hero of the lot, one it's actually possible to sympathize with. He does his share of dickery but when all is said and done he's mostly concerned about getthing this whole thing over with as soon as he can and going home.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

I just torched Troy in a frontal assault, no horse needed.
...Could we turn this into the new thread title?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Dunno about the script, Arkantos really starts pulling horses out of nowhere. It would be pretty easy to ease it in, too - just mention the stores were torched by Trojan cavalry or something.

Video obviously impressive as hell, this is quickly becoming my favorite ongoing LP. I particularly like classifying the Aeneid as a Homer fanfic.

e: Is this the first time we see Gargarensis? Gotta admire a villain who can bend space and time to snatch poetry.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 30, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's an amazing case of personal beef-based metaphysics. Dante was a rather spiteful person.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

I think that's three people now who thought the way they came up with the horse was a problem with the script. I never had an issue with it myself so I'm curious what you guys think is wrong with it.
I said it before, it comes out of nowhere. There's no relation between the previous dialogue and Arkantos babbling about horses.
And it'd be so easy to just shoehorn it in by way Trojan cavalry or, hell, just having a riderless horse run past the camera, or mention that since the Trojans raided their stores they'd be reduced to eating their horses... Possibilities are endless here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

It tends to turn into lots of horses or equivalent and raiding, due to sheer mobility.
drat, that's a shame; this is what I ended up disliking about AoE2. Are there any historic RTS games where actual tactics come into play? Total War series, I guess...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more of having to employ actual strategies. You know, use the terrain, fortifications that control the surrounding area and so on. Age Of is really just sending horsies to enemy resources while the enemy does the same with yours.

I'm not talking about strategies being cheap or not - just that it's really boring to watch when it becomes all horse raiding parties all time as opposed to actual armies clashing. I call it the Warcraft 3 problem - there's very little actual strategy when you're just trying to get a bigger blob of units than the enemy currently has.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 4, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Weird, I never realized there was an Empire Earth 2. But yeah, 1 worked pretty well in that - slower, larger-scope gameplay with mixing and matching units, none of that rushing for goldmines crap. Plus you got to nuke pikemen from time to time.

I realize handling fortification is a problem, but what I was more thinking of was a system that would reward building actual strongpoints as opposed to just spamming barracks all over the map.

Melth posted:

You and me. Chainsaw swords. Atop my zeppelin. Sundown tonight. No one insults my beloved and lives!
Hey, I like Warcraft 3. Its campaign is pretty fantastic and it was massively influential. It's just horrible as a strategy game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Odysseus did offend Poseidon but it had more to do blinding his son Polyphemus.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like the way this mission actually lets you train some reinforcements, giving you some more illusion of strategy. Too often the walky missions in RTS games turn into puzzles where the only way to win is finding the intended path through enemy forces.

edit: Actually, I think the upgrades changing myth unit looks is only a thing in the enhanced version - I sure as hell don't remember it from vanilla/titans.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 14, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This LP is consistently amazing. This map usually takes me 40+ minutes.

I honestly never noticed the mouse clicks so if they're there they feel pretty unintrusive and IMO don't need to be specifically added or removed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Emperordaein posted:

It's been such a long time since i've played the game, and I can't wait to try out the new Chinese civilisation.
It's... uh, not well done. I am looking forward to getting there in the LP though, that campaign keeps bugging out in new and exciting ways every time I attempt it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Emperordaein posted:

So when I swapped over to trying The Golden Gift and The Titans Campaign again, I was seeing actual detail and effort (Okay, Golden Gift 2 is kinda lacking, but I appreciate the sentiment of what they tried to do)
Golden Gift was a mod, people actually got paid for ToTD. Yyyeah.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

Golden Gift was made by Ensemble. Used to be a download on Microsoft's site. Now it's on download sites all over.
Really? I could've sworn it was a fan project... Well, it still shows the effort level of DLC then and now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Does that phoenix only spawn on Titan or has it just never bothered me before?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Do the units sounding off actually speak Greek? They had individual languages in Age of Empires 2.
The different cultures have different languages but whether they're actual languages or gibberish is anyone's guess.

Anyway, Egypt upcoming. They have some good missions but in my opinion are the single most boring faction to play as which makes for a rather unlucky combination with the fact the missions start getting seriously long here (possible speedrunning shenanigans aside).

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 27, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe it never occured to me to just wall off one of the passes as opposed to running around like an idiot between the three entrances and gradually falling back. This mission is a fantastic introduction to how absolutely godawful Egyptian units are after playing as the Greeks.

e: ...Is that a loving son of Osiris? Titan really pulls no punches.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 10, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And Migdols. Spamming Migdols. Migdols everywhere. No such thing as too many Migdols.
I love how they managed to reflect the Egyptian penchant for building humongous piles of bricks everywhere in a gameplay mechanic. Faith? Build it. Army? Well, it all comes out of one building so why the hell not have them everywhere. Defense? Oh, and they shoot.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 11, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Cheap heroes and they heal? What's the balancing factor on Egyptian priests?
You're playing as the Egyptians.
e: Okay, I do give them a lot of poo poo but they probably are the best at dealing with myth units.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 12, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think we'll get the full taste of the awesomeness that is AoM random name generator until the Hersir.
But hey, at least the teleport god power is actually good for something else than transporting amounts of units guaranteed to achieve nothing at all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it really cheesing when it takes longer than a regular playthrough would, though? I mean, it's Amanra. She tickles.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dinictus posted:

Maybe I didn't notice before, but while you played under Set, your Priests had these black face masks not unlike Set's camel head.
I thought Set had a crocodile head?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Calax posted:

Or just play Rise of Legends
Seriously. It might be a pretty bad RTS but it does the (faux-) Middle Eastern mythology really well. Not so sure about Aztecs, I think those are entirely based on ancient aliens conspiracy theories. But it's been a long time since I played that.

The problem with Persia is that if you go full Zoroastrianism, you don't really have space for minor gods even if you plunder the older mythology for units. And if you go with the older mythology, you're suddenly without the gods...
You could mesh them together but it'd come out a hot mess.
I wouldn't mind seeing an Africa-based civ - plenty of gods and demons in there - but again, it'd be merging a lot of different cultures.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

It should probably be villagers being sacrificed.

Maybe something like raiding for other people's villagers to take them captive and sacrifice them. Mandatory raiding as a core game mechanic sounds like it could even break up a few turtles' bad habits.
Sacrificing your villagers is an awesome mechanic no matter the circumstances. Hell, they should do it to generate Favor.

• Locked thread