Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Your videos make me weep for the time I've spent playing these levels the normal ways on moderate. What the hell, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Not entirely related to the campaign discussion, but amusing enough that I thought I'd drop it in here.

I'm screwing around in random map games, and as I'm sure anyone who's ever done so will know, the game will give random names from that civilization to AI players. Another little thing, is that AI players will "talk" to you. Enemies generally commenting on what you're doing, or bragging/boasting about what they're doing, or just insulting you.

Well, one Greek AI got named Troy in this match. Then this happened:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Melth posted:

Interestingly, in the expansion the city name can indicate what strategy the AI will be using.

Hilariously enough, it was not Troy that walled itself in.

It was Athens. Though IIRC, that still makes sense.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Melth posted:

The next video will take an extra week. I've beaten the next mission quite a few times, but I haven't found a way to do it spectacularly enough yet.

This is what I like about you and this LP. It's not enough to simply BEAT the mission.

You feel obligated to DESTROY IT in AWE-INSPIRING fashion. Make an example of it, so that future missions might look upon it and despair, for they know that will one day be but a shadow of their own fate.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Huh. Apparently the last time I tried to blow up their base on this level, I must have missed a building or two.

And I am mildly curious as to why you didn't bother with the Dwarven Forge's unique upgrades. Are they just too expensive/take too much time? Or do they not affect heroes or something?

As for Samovar's question, Walking Woods basically causes a patch of up to... 8, I think? Trees to get up and start walking around. They technically belong to the player who used the power, but they cannot be controlled. They have half-decent hack damage, and a buttload of crush damage, with a good amount of HP, and if used on the right tree-patch, can really ruin someone's economic day. But that use of Forest Fire is pretty genius. I can't remember how early they use it, but I doubt just trying to harvest that forest first in a "normal" run of this level would be fast enough to prevent it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing I'll point out regarding Reginleif's damage; her damage per shot may be higher than Ajax, but, correct me if I'm wrong, her attack speed is *way* slower, isn't it? Combined with possible accuracy issues because ranged attack, and her damage output actually becomes pretty mediocre.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm in agreement with the others. Seeing you break this stuff over your knee is a joy.

Not my playstyle though. I admit to enjoying taking my time with stuff. In particular, I've always loved defensive maps, as I enjoy turtling up and watching enemies break themselves upon my defenses. Oh, some of the ridiculous castle-mazes I've made in Age of Empires 2...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Wait, the prisoners are actually invincible?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The player is generally expected to take the beachfront directly in front of them, which happens to be right smack in front of the heavily fortified, very chokepoint-y entrance ramp to the city. There's room to build up a significant base out on the beach, and more than enough resources to get you going... but again, the entrance is a very fortified, very chokepoint-y ramp.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yup. That chokepoint works BOTH ways.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
They could also have very easily simply made the target island not have an area large and open enough for the passage.

They set you up with a Major God who has access to the power, start you in an early enough age that you can choose that power, and don't prevent you from using the power on that island.

If they thought about the power at all, they were clearly okay with it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Asehujiko posted:

When I played this, the friendly towns get taken out after a while, is this timer based and were you just too fast or did you avoid the triggers for them to get blown up by not attacking the base directly north of you?

It's timer-based, I believe - the Norse get obliterated at the 20-minute mark, and the Egyptians get killed at the 25 minute mark, both by a God Power from Gargarensis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Not only that, but the scenario specifically cites Erebus as the realm the undead are coming from, despite it happening in Norse lands, as told by Norse characters.

• Locked thread