Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Looks like a fun trip down memory lane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

drat, quite the effort-post there. Good stuff.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

WarpedLichen posted:

Makes me realize how different an era of gaming AoM came from. I guess the balance must've been enough of a clusterfuck because nobody even tried to play it competitively as far as I know.

There was definitely a limited competitive scene, but obviously nothing like what you had for something like Starcraft or WC3.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

WarpedLichen posted:

Was there? I remember that the AOE2 competitive went on for a long time, even though the multiplayer was a complete lag fest.

When I say "limited" I mean below even what AoE2 had.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Astroclassicist posted:

:colbert:

The only person cooler than Alexander is Ptolemy

Hannibal is cooler

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I always played Egypt because Mummies and the Son of Osiris were cool.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Zeus does, however, offer the Bolt power. During my brief experience with multiplayer, I enjoyed using Bolt on Nidhogg and the Son of Osiris far, far too much.

Bolt makes Nidhogg and SoO pretty useless, yeah. :negative:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I cosign Johnny Law's and Asehujiko's recommendations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Melth posted:

I think I read that the extended edition made it do scratch damage to them instead of instant killing. Which was lame. I mean, it used to do thousands even to a titan.

Testing it again now, it deals about 33% damage to each and about 16% to titans. So sucky compared to how it use to be, but not worthless at least.

Huh, that's interesting. I guess it's good that Bolt is no longer a *nightmare counter* to super-units, but I can't help but feel that that's a bit underwhelming. Ah well.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Glazius posted:

Do enemies get one god power per Age, same as you? Or can they just spam out half a dozen of them on later maps?

Depends on the god power. Also, in a lot of missions, they aren't god powers per se, but just scripted events.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Just reinstalled to play a 2v2 against the AI with Astroclassicist, but the game crashed before the Decisive Battle. Sad!

(also the loving Atlantean god power that summons barracks in the middle of your base is real fuckin' annoying :v:)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Ah, okay. I don't think I've ever played Atlantis in Multiplayer (and never actually played the Titans campaign beyond the first few missions). So I'm looking forward to your playthrough of that campaign then!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hades was the first proto-goon

-Hangs out in the basement all day
-Stands in the corner at parties
-nobody likes him that much
-can't talk to women

Has anyone on SA kidnapped a woman to live with them in the basement, eventually reaching an agreement with the woman's mother for each of them to have her for six months at a time?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Cythereal posted:

I'm partial to the Dresden Files interpretation of events: it was a completely legitimate love affair and marriage, Demeter was just an overbearing mother who couldn't bear to see her little girl leave home and subsequently was an incredibly irritating mother-in-law.

that's fair

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

What's a good counter to massed laser crocodiles? Asking (honest) for a friend. I know that, like all myth units, they get wrecked by heroes, but it can be hard to break through the chaff to get to them. Is it simply a matter of not letting the laser crocs get massed, given the fact that they're fairly expensive?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Thanks for the info! He plays Greeks a lot, so that may be where the extra difficulty is coming from.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I think you're doing fine, but then again I'm already very well versed in most of the mechanics involved outside of the Atlantean and Chinese civs, and am more interested in seeing how you tackle the missions themselves.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Migdol Units :worship:

Massed chariot archers :worship:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Dinictus posted:

SHIFT KEY IS THE ONLY WAY FOR CAPITALS.

I've noticed that one hydra staying at 77 HP and pretty much being on Hades' door. Units do not heal over time?

Healing is at a premium in Age of Mythology - only Egypt has easily accessible healing for their units (by using Priests and Pharaoh), and even then it's single-target and pretty slow. The Norse can summon a healing spring with one of their gods to provide AoE healing (sort of like the Plenty Vault seen in this mission, it is an invincible but capturable building), and the Greeks get the Restoration god power that they can cast for a one-time, huge healing boost that can be used to absolutely steamroll a decisive battle. I'm not familiar enough with the Atlanteans (and haven't even looked at the Chinese) to know what their situation for healing is.

edit: worshiping Apollo apparently lets you turn your temples into a source of AoE healing via upgrade, as well.

edit again: oh and the norse "valkyrie" myth unit has a heal

The point is, healing is only available on certain god paths to the Greeks and Norse; only the Egyptians have a guaranteed heal on the regular, from the beginning of the game.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 24, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Markets can also generate gold via caravans, which cost food to create.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Qrr posted:

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of balance issues with the game - "here's this specialized unit, it's normally absolutely worthless. And this one too". A shame.

This is, unfortunately, a problem with many RTS games, even ones that are normally considered great. Company of Heroes, for example. Great game. It also had plenty of units that saw essentially zero use at high levels of play.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Empire Earth was a messy game, but great. Some of the best single-player campaigns around. The Expansion pack made it a bit messier, and the campaigns weren't quite as good.

Empire Earth II was a massive step down. It was still playable, but the campaigns weren't nearly as good as in the first one, and a lot of unit and hero interactions, that sort of thing, that made the first game so great are gone.

Empire Earth III is a game that I have never played and that is, by all accounts, utter garbage.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

man I love the Egyptians. I'd play Isis every scrim I do with my friend if it didn't get stale for both of us.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

He really is, on both counts. Seriously read the myth of Orpheus- despite all the tragedy and angst of the whole situation, it's clear that Hades is both deeply in love with his wife, and doing his best to help a dude with a bad situation.

I love the Orpheus and Eurydice myth, but it would be remiss of me not to point out that there's an alternate interpretation where Hades was toying with Orpheus all along and was never intending to allow him to escape with Eurydice. I don't buy it, because it's a much nicer...or, well, less awful? story the other way, but that's out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Glazius posted:

Is Arkantos now an available god to worship? It'd be an interesting reward for completing the story campaign.

Sadly, no; it would be cool if he were a god for the Atlantis expansion pack civ.

• Locked thread