Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Avshalom posted:

i am exquisitely animated. in conversation my face achieves the maximum of squash and stretch with every contorted syllable i pronounce. my lines are thick and smooth, my silhouette strong, my bones viscous and my palette pretty as a peach. i end every sexual encounter with a dance party and everyone you know is there just dancing, dancing, anonymously dancing sans speech or expression, they could be anyone, they could be strangers, they could be communists

Welcome to 2017, Animation Thread! As the title might suggest, this is where we discuss animated movies of all ilk! So if you’re looking for recommendations, missed gems, thematic discussion… or if you wanna just gush over Zootopia again (I’m looking at you, you know it’s you), BOY HOWDY are you in the right place!
So let’s see what 2017 has in store for us, shall we?

Animal Crackers
(???)

(No… Official Trailer Yet?)
This one has been phasing in and out of release dates for a while. Maybe this year? Maybe next? It was slated for January 13, but y'know.

The Lego Batman Movie
(February 10, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQUKzSDhrg
After the surprise success of The Lego Movie, the legendarily assholish voice of Will Arnett will be returning for his own film about him where he is the main character. And also Batman. This is a good thing, you see.

Rock Dog (February 24, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BcG14OSB-k
God al-loving-mighty, this looks banal.

Boss Baby
(March 31, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8j5GaqH3c
Well, gently caress.

Smurfs: The Lost Village (April 7, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu1qZCG6Yo8
WAIT, WAIT, THIS ISN’T WHAT YOU’RE THINKING! This is actually a fully animated Smurfs movie. No New York City. No goth smurfs. It could be alright! I mean, at least it didn’t get shot coming out the gate by goddamn rapping Smurfs!

Spark
(April 14, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
Space animal revolution. Also there is a monkey which, according to the 90's, is "good enough."

The Nut Job 2 (May 19, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
Hey, lookit. Ratatouille found work. Rat named Ratatouille, right there he is. (This is another supposed release. Nothing concrete yet and the date is totally arbitrary.)

Captain Underpants
(June 2, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
I remember all the kids two grades below me being super into these books. I am an old, old lady.

Cars 3 (June 16, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv-5HOi6pc
I am so mad and angry.

Despicable Me 3
(July 30, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DBi41reeF0
Gru battles the 80’s, delivered unto this world in the unholy vessel that is Trey Parker. Villain looks great, but a lot of folks here consider the 2nd film to be a misstep on a good message. Cautiously optimistic. Also, hey, the poster’s not completely yellow. You get me?

The Emoji Movie
(August 4, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_p5ODo2viM
Haha, why yes, Sir! There is a poo emoji! How very delightful!

The Lego Ninjago Movie (September 25, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EK9x0MGI3U
I don't know anything about Ninjago other than it's a franchise on CN that my nephew likes. Ninjas ninjaing and Legos are a given. There also appears to be a Jackie Chan in the mix.

The Lamb
(November 10, 2017)

A nativity movie. This article is all I can find on it for now.

Coco (November 22, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
We still don’t know a ton about Coco. The theme of the film is Dia de los Muertos and it’s about a boy named Miguel. I myself am hoping for the stylistic energy of Book of Life with less pop culture and more consistency.

Ferdinand (December 22, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
I'm sure like many of you, this book and the Disney short were a beloved part of my childhood. I can't say I'm terribly excited to see how Blue Sky will extend this story to feature length, though. Regardless, it's about a gentle bull in bull-fighting Spain.

A MLP movie (Oct. 6) and the rest, here on :smuggo: Isle.

It's, uh... Well, it's certainly looking to be a year, folks.
I'll add the missing trailers as they show up.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woohoo!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Coco is the only thing I am looking forward to.

Well, other than the sweet embrace of death.

Either of these will probably be delayed into 2018 though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This isn't showing until 2017 in my area. Anyone seen it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITX2U00yq8

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looking forward to Coco, Lego Batman, Cars 3 (I guess) and rewatching Zootopia for the twentieth time

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

This isn't showing until 2017 in my area. Anyone seen it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITX2U00yq8

Part of me was really hoping this'd turn into At the Mountains of Madness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here's a thought for y'all:

if you want to have a good animation 2017, go find somewhere that's still playing Trolls.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is it ok that I'm excited for Lego Batman?

Because I am.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs posted:

Is it ok that I'm excited for Lego Batman?

Because I am.

That's okay, because the first movie used him pretty drat well so I could see an entire movie about just Lego Batman done alright.

I mean, if you're gonna make a sequel to The Lego Movie, you could do worse.

Also that poster for Book Of Life 2 needs to be on the first page, because drat that would be a cool movie, even if realistically speaking it won't be out until 2019.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey thread, it's me, I'll be here all year bringing you my usual quality posts :3:
Just a little New Years gift from me to you

My 2017 in animation will be continuing catching up on major studios' back catalogues. Gonna be sweet!

Edit: oh and reading my copy of The Illusion of Life!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 28, 2016

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ERRYBODY DEAD!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Was Kubo the only good animated movie this year? Was Kaguya this year? And only Batman looks good next year. Bleh

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

got any sevens posted:

Was Kubo the only good animated movie this year? Was Kaguya this year? And only Batman looks good next year. Bleh

No, Moana and Trolls were both good. Zootopia and Finding Dory were good too, and I actually kind of liked Kung Fu Panda 3 and Secret life of Pets. Oh, and Storks was weird but still had some good gags.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

got any sevens posted:

Well, I mean, I still haven't seen Big Fish and Begonia. :v:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

got any sevens posted:

:crossarms:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No, Moana and Trolls were both good. Zootopia and Finding Dory were good too, and I actually kind of liked Kung Fu Panda 3 and Secret life of Pets. Oh, and Storks was weird but still had some good gags.

Yeah I havent seen Moana, but trolls/pets/panda/storks all looked like dreck from trailers, and I fell asleep during Dory and zootopia had about 2 good jokes and was pretty but otherwise mediocre.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

got any sevens posted:

Yeah I havent seen Moana, but trolls/pets/panda/storks all looked like dreck from trailers, and I fell asleep during Dory and zootopia had about 2 good jokes and was pretty but otherwise mediocre.

Maybe the toon game isn't for you

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think Zootopia isn't nearly as good as most people in the last thread were giving it credit for but still, come on.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hedrigall posted:

Maybe the toon game isn't for you

Lol. Monsters Inc is one of my favorite movies bro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zootopia was pretty much the tops of animated this year but it was overall a strong year with a lot of great films.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Zootopia was cute, but I admit I'm a little baffled at how highly it's regarded here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Zootopia was cute, but I admit I'm a little baffled at how highly it's regarded here.

It's well-animated, well-acted, has a lot of care put into it, has an actual message that is at once coherent and willing to approach sensitive subjects with somewhat more maturity than most animated films, and in general I think it hits almost everything right.

In comparison Kubo (which is probably my #2 for the year) is a lot messier and gets by purely on its very strong artistry. No other animated film this year feels anywhere as complete to me as Zootopia did.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Not to mention Zoot has fantastic characters all round.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think 2016 was a pretty good year for animation, I mean what was that insanely lovely one? 2014 maybe?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If we're going by US releases, 2014 had both Princess Kaguya and The Wind Rises, making it one of the strongest recent years for animation.

Which reminds me, The Red Turtle is supposed to get a US release early next year. Definitely go see it if you have the chance. Also, keep an eye out for Loving Vincent. No official release date yet, but there's a good chance it'll come out in 2017, and the trailer looks absolutely stunning.

Edit: Also, I kind of dig the new thread title, even if it does mess up the reference (and 'is' should be capitalised :v: ).

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 28, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi, let's talk about the Elm-Chanted Forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkr8v9ltxY

There aren't any good quality uploads of the mushroom song, but pretend I posted the mushroom song where a minstrel-show-looking afro-sporting mushroom named michael starts rapping and breakdancing menacingly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Gonna sperg out in response to what the header got wrong (I don't mean wrong in a dick way, it's good, just needs updates, thank you for making the thread Das Boo!)

-Animal Crackers looks like it'll come out someday but it sure as hell isn't making January 13. I'd think it'd be used as filler for a Lionsgate or Open Road during a lull period later in the year like Labor Day or something.
-Rock Dog on Feb. 24 is missing and while it doesn't look good, it's notable
-Something called Spark is coming April 14 from Open Road, it's apparently a Journey To The West-inspired monkey and other anthropomorphic animals fight a dictator in space movie. It stars Patrick Stewart, Hilary Swank, Jessica Beal and Susan Sarandon.
-I won't believe The Nut Job 2 is happening until I see actual footage. For now, I can safely say the Youtube link in the header is for a trailer for the first one.
-Blazing Samurai has been pushed to "2018" without any specific date. The main animation company on it went under earlier this year, and I assume odds are 50/50 it ever makes it to screen at this point, depends on how far into production they were.
-Ninjago comes out Sept. 25 and it's a LEGO movie. Pros: Jackie Chan. Cons: Property is pretty kiddie.
-My Little Pony comes out Oct. 6 and as I type this I'm realizing why it wasn't mentioned.
-Sony is releasing an animated Nativity Story on Nov. 10 apparently. They fast-tracked it and slid it up the release schedule so it could be OK? I doubt it. Thought I saw the voice cast announced but can't find the link.
-Blue Sky is releasing The Story of Ferdinand, about the bull who doesn't want to bullfight, at Christmas.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I finally saw Moana. Really liked some parts (Maui rules, the crab rules) but in a lot of it (especially the first act) I had a sense of the hero's journey story beats conspicuously clunking into place and it didn't really resonate with me emotionally. Lin Manuel-Miranda did a good job but the dude has an awful habit of going for the most cringeworthy/obvious rhymes (please never rhyme "oh" with "yo" again please).

I don't know--I was kind of assuming it was going to be a lock for the best animated feature nomination, because it has a princess and songs, but now I'm not so sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haledjian posted:

I finally saw Moana. Really liked some parts (Maui rules, the crab rules) but in a lot of it (especially the first act) I had a sense of the hero's journey story beats conspicuously clunking into place and it didn't really resonate with me emotionally. Lin Manuel-Miranda did a good job but the dude has an awful habit of going for the most cringeworthy/obvious rhymes (please never rhyme "oh" with "yo" again please).

I don't know--I was kind of assuming it was going to be a lock for the best animated feature nomination, because it has a princess and songs, but now I'm not so sure.

The best animated this year is gonna be a tight one honestly but there aren't many I imagine getting the nom and I would be *upset* at winning.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'll stand by my prediction that Zootopia will win the Oscar, with Kubo, Moana, Pets, and Finding Dory being the runner-ups. Maybe replace Pets with Sausage Party if the Academy is feeling raunchy on that particular day.

CRINDY posted:

-Ninjago comes out Sept. 25 and it's a LEGO movie. Pros: Jackie Chan. Cons: Property is pretty kiddie.

Eh, I don't know. I love Jackie Chan more than any sane person should, but voice acting has never been his forte.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Aw, I stop paying attention to the old thread for a few months and someone else takes over the thread. Typical :mad:

Ah well, looking at what's coming this year, it's probably best if I don't have my name on the OP this year.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, I'll say this for Moana, I saw it and Rogue One this weekend and Moana definitely had the less unsettling CG Disney princess.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CRINDY posted:

Gonna sperg out in response to what the header got wrong (I don't mean wrong in a dick way, it's good, just needs updates, thank you for making the thread Das Boo!)

-Animal Crackers looks like it'll come out someday but it sure as hell isn't making January 13. I'd think it'd be used as filler for a Lionsgate or Open Road during a lull period later in the year like Labor Day or something.
-Rock Dog on Feb. 24 is missing and while it doesn't look good, it's notable
-Something called Spark is coming April 14 from Open Road, it's apparently a Journey To The West-inspired monkey and other anthropomorphic animals fight a dictator in space movie. It stars Patrick Stewart, Hilary Swank, Jessica Beal and Susan Sarandon.
-I won't believe The Nut Job 2 is happening until I see actual footage. For now, I can safely say the Youtube link in the header is for a trailer for the first one.
-Blazing Samurai has been pushed to "2018" without any specific date. The main animation company on it went under earlier this year, and I assume odds are 50/50 it ever makes it to screen at this point, depends on how far into production they were.
-My Little Pony comes out Oct. 6 and as I type this I'm realizing why it wasn't mentioned.
-Sony is releasing an animated Nativity Story on Nov. 10 apparently. They fast-tracked it and slid it up the release schedule so it could be OK? I doubt it. Thought I saw the voice cast announced but can't find the link.
-Blue Sky is releasing The Story of Ferdinand, about the bull who doesn't want to bullfight, at Christmas.

I'm rollin' around with sickness, but I sincerely, honestly appreciate corrections! I'll fix poo poo when my head's on straight.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'll stand by my prediction that Zootopia will win the Oscar, with Kubo, Moana, Pets, and Finding Dory being the runner-ups. Maybe replace Pets with Sausage Party if the Academy is feeling raunchy on that particular day.

Eh, I don't know. I love Jackie Chan more than any sane person should, but voice acting has never been his forte.

I don't think either Dory or Pets is going to be nominated. There's actually a few international animated films that stand a good chance at a nomination, in part because the Animation branch now has a weird voting system that favors artier animated films and filters out the mainstream stuff that isn't strongly liked. I loved Finding Dory, but it doesn't seem to be lighting anyone's world on fire. Secret Life of Pets made a lot of money, but nobody really cares about it. The Red Turtle is very likely to be nominated, and then there's a few other critically acclaimed titles, including April and the Extraordinary World, My Life as a Zucchini, and Your Name.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Spatula City posted:

I don't think either Dory or Pets is going to be nominated. There's actually a few international animated films that stand a good chance at a nomination, in part because the Animation branch now has a weird voting system that favors artier animated films and filters out the mainstream stuff that isn't strongly liked.

Oh neat, it'd be nice to see a few more underappreciated animated films get some recognition. Although I thought part of the eligibility criteria was being shown in a theatre in LA County for seven consecutive days, which would rule out The Red Turtle.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Spatula City posted:

I don't think either Dory or Pets is going to be nominated. There's actually a few international animated films that stand a good chance at a nomination, in part because the Animation branch now has a weird voting system that favors artier animated films and filters out the mainstream stuff that isn't strongly liked. I loved Finding Dory, but it doesn't seem to be lighting anyone's world on fire. Secret Life of Pets made a lot of money, but nobody really cares about it. The Red Turtle is very likely to be nominated, and then there's a few other critically acclaimed titles, including April and the Extraordinary World, My Life as a Zucchini, and Your Name.

How does that interact with the 'Chinese cartoons' judging expertise though? Seems like this would guarantee a Zootopia win. (Or a Sausage Party win if 2016's eldritch powers still apply)

Not nominating Dory seems like too much of a snub for Pixar, surely.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Here's to a new thread :toot:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Smurfs movie. The characters have a lot of energy and fluidity to their movements. Trailer seems like it gives away all the major plot beats, though.

Not sure how I feel about DM3 yet. Villain seems fun, but christ am I tired of all the 80s fellating that's been happening this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

2017: The year where I finally watch Moana.. On Netflix.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll watch Zootopia again instead.

Aside from Cars, is Buena Vista planning anything animated for 2017 or did they blow their entire load in 2016?

edit: Pixar releases under Buena Vista, right?
edit2: Buena Vista or WDMP you know what I mean

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 28, 2016