Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So what you're saying is the apocalyptic scenario in Zootopia represents what happens when Lion King goes too far? :v:

Shadow Hog posted:

Animals go from walking around in the nude, to inconsistently wearing clothes, to collectively deciding shoes suck but pants are a must

Somewhere along the way, monarchical rule gives way to publicly elected officials

The Simba-Carta represents a major step forward in representative democracy and it's call for clothing, while controversial among certain sects of society such as the Yak species, was a welcome change from the constant "commando style" that ever-prevalent. It was the first step to real change in the animal species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hedrigall posted:

Zootopia is rocket raccoon's back story

In the original 1985 four issue Rocket Raccoon miniseries he came from a planet of anthropomophic animals

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Do Donald and Mickey etc come before or after Robin Hood?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Probably the transition period between it and Zootopia, where some people still wear shoes and some still don't wear pants (e.g., Donald). Pretty sure the monarchy's already been abolished by this point, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Probably the transition period between it and Zootopia, where some people still wear shoes and some still don't wear pants (e.g., Donald). Pretty sure the monarchy's already been abolished by this point, at least.

I believe you'll find that Completely Canonical Game Kingdom Hearts makes it clear that Micky and Minnie are King and Queen.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh yeah, touché. Kinda forgot that detail.

I did keep thinking how everyone in Zootopia would react if Sora, Donald and Goofy showed up dressed as-is to a world based on their film. Sora and Goofy would get a lot of "what the crap are you"s, while Donald would probably be Judy's first arrest of the day for indecent exposure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

Donald would probably be Judy's first arrest of the day for indecent exposure.

Well, unless he turned up in the nudist colony

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I just watched Rango again, and while the first 2 acts are great, the third act once he gets kicked out of town is absolutely amazing.

Great movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

starkebn posted:

I just watched Rango again, and while the first 2 acts are great, the third act once he gets kicked out of town is absolutely amazing.

Great movie

Rattlesnake Jake is loving kickass

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

Great movie

It's a movie for people who love movies. Act 3 is a loving triumph.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ungulateman posted:

:stare: what the heck happened, pick

which x-man fan did you anger to receive such a magnificent redtext

I wrote these words in the r/relationship thread, it made sense in context. It is a beautiful redtext.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pick posted:

I wrote these words in the r/relationship thread, it made sense in context. It is a beautiful redtext.

I think I want to know that context.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

I think I want to know that context.

A young man, wracked with guilt, was asking whether he should tell his new girlfriend that he used to masturbate to his stepmother.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
If his stepmother was Lady Tremaine then he should not be ashamed :getin:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

A young man, wracked with guilt, was asking whether he should tell his new girlfriend that he used to masturbate to his stepmother.

Used to?!?! Never give up on your dreams. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Gave my brother and sisterinlaw a day off from their kids and took the nephews to see Sing. It was inoffensively bland. There was no point to it, but it served the purpose of sitting down for two hours. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't interesting or good, either. I won't remember it after tomorrow. More fun than Secret Life of Pets, at least.

I enjoyed the milfy pig when she dressed up as a slutty Evil Queen from Snow White. Did I though? I don't know. I noticed it, I guess. "Enjoy" isn't a thing that this movie produces - maybe 'recognize' is a better term.

There were no bad guys aside from tertiary ones - a banker was rude, and gangster bears wanted to collect money from one of the show singers. The kids liked it, but I could've saved my money by putting on four episodes of Shawn the Sheep at home.

I would suggest you don't waste your time. You definitely don't need to pay theater prices when you watch it. You should feel zero urgency to see it.

There were seeds of interesting characters, the unappreciated/neglected/stuck-in-a-rut pig mom, the emotionally abused porcupine girl, the not-following-in-his-dad's-footsteps gorilla, the...uh...Frank Sinatra mouse, the other ones. It's all washed away and/or resolved in insultingly simplistic fashions. None of it stayed interesting beyond the minute-long character introductions.

I'm taking them to see Trolls tomorrow. :allears:
I hope the Bergens don't scare them. When I was five I was afraid of the California Raisins for three months, so who fuckin' knows?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 1, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Drifter posted:

I enjoyed the milfy pig when she dressed up as a slutty Evil Queen from Snow White.

:popeye:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I just convinced like six people in this thread to watch it because of that. :laugh:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Drifter posted:

I just convinced like six people in this thread to watch it because of that. :laugh:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I didn't know David Cameron was a goon.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Drifter posted:

Gave my brother and sisterinlaw a day off from their kids and took the nephews to see Sing. It was inoffensively bland. There was no point to it, but it served the purpose of sitting down for two hours. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't interesting or good, either. I won't remember it after tomorrow. More fun than Secret Life of Pets, at least.

I enjoyed the milfy pig when she dressed up as a slutty Evil Queen from Snow White. Did I though? I don't know. I noticed it, I guess. "Enjoy" isn't a thing that this movie produces - maybe 'recognize' is a better term.

There were no bad guys aside from tertiary ones - a banker was rude, and gangster bears wanted to collect money from one of the show singers. The kids liked it, but I could've saved my money by putting on four episodes of Shawn the Sheep at home.

I would suggest you don't waste your time. You definitely don't need to pay theater prices when you watch it. You should feel zero urgency to see it.

There were seeds of interesting characters, the unappreciated/neglected/stuck-in-a-rut pig mom, the emotionally abused porcupine girl, the not-following-in-his-dad's-footsteps gorilla, the...uh...Frank Sinatra mouse, the other ones. It's all washed away and/or resolved in insultingly simplistic fashions. None of it stayed interesting beyond the minute-long character introductions.

I'm taking them to see Trolls tomorrow. :allears:
I hope the Bergens don't scare them. When I was five I was afraid of the California Raisins for three months, so who fuckin' knows?

Oh man I loved the raisins, it was hilarious and had awesome music.

https://youtu.be/jX5bszW1smc
https://youtu.be/674ZPMoQLR4

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kassad posted:

I didn't know David Cameron was a goon.

:drat:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Oh hell, Rango, time to rewatch that yet again.

I liked Zootopia as much as the next poster, but Rango was on a whole 'nother level of moviemaking. Between the Chinatown homage and the incredible textures, it was phenomenal.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yesterday I was visiting a friend and I saw she had Belle's Enchanted Christmas and I said "did you get this in a gift exchange or something? Why do you own this?" and she said "uh because it's a great movie :colbert: you know it has Tim Curry in it"

Long story short she thinks it's great and to me Tim Curry is the only good part and that's not saying a whole lot, the pipe organ ain't no Hexus

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aces High posted:

yesterday I was visiting a friend and I saw she had Belle's Enchanted Christmas and I said "did you get this in a gift exchange or something? Why do you own this?" and she said "uh because it's a great movie :colbert: you know it has Tim Curry in it"

Long story short she thinks it's great and to me Tim Curry is the only good part and that's not saying a whole lot, the pipe organ ain't no Hexus

I had that movie. It's the only time I ever won a radio call-in contest. Got it and the soundtrack. Pretty sure I still have the soundtrack CD, but I haven't listened to it in...god, probably close to twenty years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tim Curry is not that great, and he cannot and does not save that piece of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Tim Curry is not that great, and he cannot and does not save that piece of poo poo.

Woah, woah. Let's not say things about Tim Curry we can't take back.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pick posted:

Tim Curry is not that great

What the gently caress is this poo poo

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

JnnyThndrs posted:

Oh hell, Rango, time to rewatch that yet again.

I liked Zootopia as much as the next poster, but Rango was on a whole 'nother level of moviemaking. Between the Chinatown homage and the incredible textures, it was phenomenal.
I saw the portfolio of an ILM guy who said he'd hand-UV mapped and hand-painted every single scale on Rattlesnake Jake.

Which is I guess impressive but also why the hell would you ever do that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haledjian posted:

I saw the portfolio of an ILM guy who said he'd hand-UV mapped and hand-painted every single scale on Rattlesnake Jake.

Because you can.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haledjian posted:

When you have to look busy because your boss is around.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My mum saw Moana on my recommendation and absolutely loved it.

The last two animated films she saw in cinemas were Prince of Egypt, and before that, Beauty and the Beast.

Now she has a lot of quality animation to catch up on :)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You should introduce her to South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

unrelated but what in the holy hell is going on with your custom title :stare:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

unrelated but what in the holy hell is going on with your custom title :stare:

Pick posted:

And here's the context:

Pick posted:

-------------

On topic, I just ordered the Laika blu-ray pack. It's got coraline, paranorman, boxtrolls, and Kubo blu-rays, the only one of which I already own is Paranorman. Could probably do without Boxtrolls since it was pretty mediocre, but I'll give it a re-watch and see if anything redeeming peeks out this time.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Haledjian posted:

Nearly every shot of Jake is in close-up and just lingers on his details. You'd need to go that far with the mapping or he wouldn't look real.

The individual scales are pretty quick work, though. Look at this shot: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/rango/images/a/a8/Rattlesnake_Jake.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110702081516

Airbrush, airbrush, stipple, stipple, maybe a crack or two, overlay some dirt, pump out spec and normal maps by modifying the color map then move on to the next. It can be done pretty quickly once you're in the zone.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dr. Memory posted:

Nearly every shot of Jake is in close-up and just lingers on his details. You'd need to go that far with the mapping or he wouldn't look real.

The individual scales are pretty quick work, though. Look at this shot: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/rango/images/a/a8/Rattlesnake_Jake.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110702081516

Airbrush, airbrush, stipple, stipple, maybe a crack or two, overlay some dirt, pump out spec and normal maps by modifying the color map then move on to the next. It can be done pretty quickly once you're in the zone.

Pretty much this, I did some stippling art and it really does go quick when you're in the zone - and while the movie-goers won't appreciate the *art* of it, their brains do register how real and weighty Jake looks.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dr. Memory posted:

Oh man I just noticed how his mouth looks like one of those evil, thin mustaches.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh man I just noticed how his mouth looks like one of those evil, thin mustaches.

If you look even closer you'll see he does have a mustache above his mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If you look even closer you'll see he does have a mustache above his mouth.

Oh man that is fantastic.