Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aces High posted:

yesterday I was visiting a friend and I saw she had Belle's Enchanted Christmas and I said "did you get this in a gift exchange or something? Why do you own this?" and she said "uh because it's a great movie :colbert: you know it has Tim Curry in it"

Long story short she thinks it's great and to me Tim Curry is the only good part and that's not saying a whole lot, the pipe organ ain't no Hexus

I haven't seen all of them, but I think the only legitimately good direct to Video Disney movie is Cinderella 3 (which I never would have beleived before I watched it). Although I have a soft spot for Return of Jafar (but I think that's more because of childhood nostalgia rather than the quality of the film) and also like both of the Lilo and Stich straight to DVD movies (mostly because I love stories where people befriend monsters, I watch Totoro like a million times as a kid).

What about everyone else? Does any one else in this thread have any Disney direct to video/dvd movie do they enjoy on some level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Was the third Aladdin movie straight to DVD? I remember rather enjoying that as a child, even after recognizing the second one wasn't very good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Was the third Aladdin movie straight to DVD? I remember rather enjoying that as a child, even after recognizing the second one wasn't very good.

All the Aladdin sequels were straight to video yes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The original A Goofy Movie was from the same studio (DisneyToon) that did all thoses dtv sequels and that was good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Straight to VHS, but yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bambi II.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Brother Bear 2 isn't real, by the way. It didn't happen.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Pick posted:

Bambi II.
Bamb' Outta Hell

I like Return of Jafar but I am under no illusions that it is good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Aladdin and the King of Thieves is alright because it avoids the most common sin sequels commit: rehashing the plot of the original. Focusing on Aladdin's relationship with his estranged father adds an interesting emotional dimension to what is otherwise a fairly straightforward treasure hunt.

I also have something of a soft spot for Atlantis: Milo's Return. It's not a good film, but the idea of the cast of Atlantis tracking down various mythological artefacts holds a certain appeal to me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Bambi 2, but that's more because of Patrick Stewart as his dad. Aladdin and the King of Thieves because of Robin Williams and thus this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xYGDR_eME

When Lion King 2 first came out I was actually looking forward to it, same with the Pocahontas sequel (I like Pocahontas, gently caress y'all :colbert:) and while there are things I like in Lion King 2, such as Exile and Upendi, overall it just wasn't what I expected compared to the original so it ended up leaving me wanting more. Pocahontas 2...I watched it a few times when it came out because I was a kid and didn't know better, I have not seen it since.

I feel like that for most of the DTV sequels, they're trying to get the same thing as what they had in the originals but it doesn't work. You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice, but when you get Robin Williams back you at least get some of the magic of the original :v:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I heard the Cinderella sequels are good

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure this was me watching the first five minutes of Lion King 2

Then again, as someone who probably recited the first movie from memory with his friends on a regular basis, not much could have lived up to my expectations for a sequel. D2V animation was always such a deflating feeling. You wanted something that was epic and cinematic, and you got an hour and a half long Disney Afternoon episode instead.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
My favorite bit of Lion King 2 animation is when Simba kind of slides into the frame like a Flash tween. It cracked me up the first time I watched it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haledjian posted:

My favorite bit of Lion King 2 animation is when Simba kind of slides into the frame like a Flash tween. It cracked me up the first time I watched it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
:nws:

https://vimeo.com/193212488

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 2, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maybe link that instead, as the thumbnail is, itself, fairly NWS.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Oh, thats why they didn't want woman riding bicycles

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe link that instead, as the thumbnail is, itself, fairly NWS.

huh, not for me. done though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great, I think I'm on some sort of government watchlist now.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reminds me of

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Ducktales movie was probably the best dtv movie (or was it theatrical?).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp did get a theatrical release. It perfomed poorly at the box office, though, killing any plans Disney had for further DuckTales films.

Surprisingly enough, Return to Never Land got a theatrical release as well. I had forgotten that film even existed.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
90% of my love for Simba's Pride is due to Cam Clarke's singing voice for Simba. I used to watch "We Are One" over and over just for that.

Unmature, I saw these and thought of you:

Then I bought and ate them, mmmm duck flavoured

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

got any sevens posted:

It was theatrical but it is by DisneyToon

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp did get a theatrical release. It perfomed poorly at the box office, though, killing any plans Disney had for further DuckTales films.

Surprisingly enough, Return to Never Land got a theatrical release as well. I had forgotten that film even existed.

Was that the one with Clubba

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
IIRC the reason why Disney stopped doing theatrical releases of their cheapquels in the early-2000s was because theatrical box office dictated the amount of shelf space they would get at retail so they wound up losing more money from not getting primo shelving than they made up during their theatrical runs.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What about everyone else? Does any one else in this thread have any Disney direct to video/dvd movie do they enjoy on some level?

The Ducktales movie is alright. Feels like a bigger, longer, better episode of the series, and by that metric is probably one of the best episodes in the series. It's kinda like A Goofy Movie in that regard, though I'd rank that one higher.

But all of the sequels/prequels/midquels/whatever-the-gently caress spinoffs of their big budget releases are terrible, and yes that includes Cinderella 3 which is the closest to good they ever get, and it's still pretty bad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have never been able to make it through a Disney sequel. If I am alone at home, I will be so embarrassed by what I'm watching I'll have to switch it off.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

got any sevens posted:

i think that was my only exposure to Duck Tales growing up. We somehow didn't get the Disney Channel on basic cable until 2007

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Das Boo posted:

I have never been able to make it through a Disney sequel. If I am alone at home, I will be so embarrassed by what I'm watching I'll have to switch it off.

Pretty much my reaction.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

At least Wreck-It Ralph! 2 seems to be done by WDAS proper instead of the DTV guys?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

At least Wreck-It Ralph! 2 seems to be done by WDAS proper instead of the DTV guys?

Is there even a difference nowadays? They seem to get the same budgets and put out pretty remarkably similar work (see: the Planes movies, which are garbage but look on-par with WDAS' stuff if not slightly better than some of it).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I'm afraid by posting in the Animation thread, you have forfeited the right to ever feel shame or embarassment.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 3, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like honestly if I'd heard that Frozen was by DisneyToon and Planes was WDAS, I would have 100% believed it. The two studios seem basically indistinguishable beyond what they're put to work on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm afraid by posting in the Animation thread, you have forfeited the right to ever feel shame or embarassment.

We all gotta draw the line somewhere. Sometimes it's Disney sequels, sometimes it's fetishy counterfeit Flash games. Sometimes it's... more dire.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is there even a difference nowadays? They seem to get the same budgets and put out pretty remarkably similar work (see: the Planes movies, which are garbage but look on-par with WDAS' stuff if not slightly better than some of it).

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like honestly if I'd heard that Frozen was by DisneyToon and Planes was WDAS, I would have 100% believed it. The two studios seem basically indistinguishable beyond what they're put to work on.

I'm pretty sure that's because Eisner made DisneyToon pump out the sequels at a breakneck pace for quick returns with no regard for quality, while Lasseter actually gives them the time and resources they need to produce quality films. Hope over to their wiki page and you'll see that they made an insane number of movies between 1998 to 2006, three or four or more per year, but then at 2007 they switch gears and start making around one movie per year.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

We all gotta draw the line somewhere. Sometimes it's Disney sequels, sometimes it's fetishy counterfeit Flash games. Sometimes it's... more dire.

My ears are burning

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just rewatched Rango. drat that movie is beautiful.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think Jungle Book 2 had a theatrical release too, I think John Goodman voiced Baloo as well...that is the extent of my knowledge of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Did anyone ever see those 2 Tarzan DTV movies?