Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Star posted:

Girls have it tougher than boys and yet they don't commit suicide as often. i wonder why that is?

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that women are much more likely to attempt suicide more often than men, but use less effective methods such as overdosing or cutting verses firearms or jumping that men are more likely to use. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention says that the difference is as much as women being 3 times more likely to try to kill them selves but men being as much as 4 times more likely to actually die from it. So I'm not sure you can make any concrete conclusions on either gender's psychological resilience based on suicide statistics alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

I think the women that willingly work as exotic dancers would take issue with your assessment.

Presumably the women that do not willingly work as exotic dancers wouldn't have any problems at all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

I have committed the grave sin, as a man, of having visited a strip club in modern society. I submit myself to you, oh D&D. How shall I repent?

Firstly you should stop being a sarcastic, sanctimonious prick about it and actually do a little critical thinking and introspection when asked to do so. I feel that'd be a great start.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

I've really tried to be respectful of everyone's opinion on the matter, but I don't feel that same courtesy has been afforded me. If going to a strip club is an inherently heinous act, how do you propose I go forward as a heinous man?

I have absolutely no idea where you're getting the idea that you're heinous from. You were asked how to ensure that women aren't being exploited and then started ranting about how everyone is against you. You're getting offended at phantasms and shadows.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

It's impossible for me -- or you, for that matter -- to ensure that any person, whatever business they are engaged in, isn't being exploited in that business relationship. Admittedly, this is an industry where it is more common.

We could take steps to minimize the chances for them to be exploited, though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

I agree. We're off on tangents and witch hunts though.

There was no witch hunt, you loon.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

This is where the original opposition to me appeared: admitting that I've visited strip clubs. Is it possible to do that while opposing exploitation?

Yes, although you probably can't do it and still be consistent with your ideals.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

It's fine to be critical, but it's part of our society, and instead of demonizing the men who patronize these establishments and the women who staff them, it's better to advocate for protections under law.

Edit: And seriously, most of you suck. With respect to this issue.

Could you helpfully quote some of the people who are demonizing the men who patronize strip clubs and especially the women who staff them? You've mentioned it so often it should be pretty trivial to show me some concrete examples, right?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

You're demonizing sexuality, sex workers, and exotic dancers on the assumption that there are better, more puritan careers for them to engage in. It's ridiculous. If that's what they're good at and interested in, what's the problem?

Where did he mention anything about puritanism? If you keep projecting so hard you're going to blow a hole clean through the forums.

Edit:

Wasting posted:

You got me. It's been a really subjective slog. The issues with men, particularly me, visiting strip clubs have been about tertiary ideas. If you want a notch on your belt: here it is. But appreciate that I am one man.

I just want you to stop making poo poo up about anyone here "demonizing" people when that's clearly not something that's happening.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

Okay.

Edit: Maybe I'm not smart enough to engage on the issue here, but can you see it?

Can I see what? Strippers being demonized? No, I really can't. I really don't understand how you can read "strippers should be able to work in the safest, least-exploitive conditions reasonably possible" and somehow see that as "strippers are hussies that need to get more dignified jobs, like school marm or nun". I simply don't know how your brain is making the leap from one to the other.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

I agree with your first quotation 100%. Reread what I've posted.

Then where are you getting the idea anyone is demonizing men who go to strip clubs or the women who work there? Rereading your posts has done nothing to clear that up and every single time I've asked you to clarify you've ignored me or conceded that yeah, maybe that isn't happening only to start welching about it not two posts later.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

Can we simplify this for a simpleton such as me? Is there a question you'd like to ask me?

No, I can't make "why do you think you were being demonized" any simpler. If you honestly can't understand that then you really aren't smart enough to participate in this discussion, or you're a lovely troll.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

Honestly, everything you've said is an exaggeration and ridiculous, and I hope anyone else reading can see that.

No, it's actually 100% true and accurate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

Any question you have, I'd love to answer. As long as you offer the same!

Why did you feel demonized?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

I guess the amount of attention? I'm not used to it. I enjoyed your responses, though.

Ok, now why did you say we were demonizing strippers?

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Hey look, mine came true too!

No one gives a poo poo that you hate TB.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wasting posted:

As I replied before, it's nearly impossible to do so, but it's a very common part of our society. If I'm reprehensible for having visited a strip club, most of the men you know are as well. And I'm sorry you feel that way.

Shut the hell up with this "reprehensible" nonsense.

Edit:

Wasting posted:

The sheer aggression at me having visited strippers. I'm not sure why someone would be so mad at me for having made use of their services unless they disagreed with the business at its root.

Absolutely nobody was aggressive with you, except right now where I'm being aggressive with you for being a willfully ignorant dipshit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

OwlFancier, are you a dude?

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought so, just wanted to make sure. That makes this a good deal more frustrating, though, in some ways.

What the gently caress is this all supposed to mean? Because he doesn't instantly agree that throwing a baseball at your friends nuts is a hilarious and cool prank you immediately question his manhood and whether he's actually secretly a woman? Goddamn, I don't know if it's possible to find a better example of toxic masculinity than this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

The lack of respect for the lived experiences of other people itt is sad but unsurprising.

I agree, you and Glyph should really take some time to work on it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

I'm not the one pathologizing normal childhood behavior as masochistic.

Neither is anybody else. Whipping the poo poo out of one another isn't normal childhood behavior.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nerses IV posted:

I mean, have you ever watched puppies play with eachother..?

Where they often let the smaller, weaker siblings win and don't intentionally try to maim one another or draw blood? Yeah, what about it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nerses IV posted:

So puppies playing with eachother is roughly equal to ducks mating, in intent and outcome?

So, have you just never heard of the Naturalism Fallacy, or...?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

As near as I can tell, Owlfancier is literally claiming that only a masochist can enjoy roughhousing or any level of pain sensation.

Then you need to take some remedial reading classes, because your comprehension skills are some of the absolute worst I've ever seen. Or is it that you just don't care what Owl is saying because you view him as a woman and therefore lesser in your eyes?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nerses IV posted:

So puppies playing with eachother is... immoral? Or certainly not something that can be looked at as a positive, at least?

Morality doesn't apply to animals and the habits of animals aren't a basis for morality. If you have any other questions about the most basic tenets of philosophy that even small children can grasp, please feel free to ask me further.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

:ironicat:

It's not "reverse" anything, it's a perfectly normal and regular tone argument. You don't like what I'm saying, so rather than engage with it you're telling me to stop talking because I'm too "angry".

You know I was joking before about you not being able to read, but now... yikes. I don't know how it's possible to miss someone's point so badly. And TB's already a woman so you can accuse her of being one like you did to OF, so now all you have left is pretending you know what a tone argument is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nerses IV posted:

So this post:

was just you being a small child, or something?

I had assumed you weren't being serious and already knew your argument was fallacious so I was pointing out how your bad argument didn't even apply. Now I see that you really are that uneducated and ignorant and were being deathly serious.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

Plenty of people are suggesting that pranking is inherently problematic but nobody is even trying to defend it.

You've been defending pranking this whole time, dude. Can you not even follow your own posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Isn't this the point of the whole topic about Patriarchy affecting men? Well there's an example right there, someone who opposes hazing rituals and other immature locker room behaviour being a guy makes things "awkward."

Yeah, pretty much. OF was accused of not even being a man because he opposed hazing rituals. The idea of a man not being 100% down with getting shoved in lockers and kicked in the balls was so alien it made people's brains stop working.

The Kingfish posted:

Naw, she 's just been trying to start a meme that I'm klan member. :jerkbag:

If the hood fits.

• Locked thread